Author Topic: Irish recruit John Heslin / Rookie pick #90 [merged]  (Read 18880 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Irish recruit John Heslin signs a two-year deal with us
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »
"Jack Riewoldt, one of the highest paid players in the AFL...."
Surely not? Well not yet, at least!

Pretty sure I read somewhere that he is on about, 500-550k per year with incentives.
Thanks T4L! Thats probably still not one of the highest paid but certainly on the way there!

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
Just a quick follow up. I know we have 2 PNG kids and now 2 Irish kids (Heslin as of 2012 I guess) - is there a limit to the number of international players you can rookie list?

Given the current draft restrictions I'm glad we're looking at other avenues to unearth talent.

If it's unlimited, I'm surprised a rich club like collingwood doesn't just stockpile them.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
Should go to africa and find some drogba types

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »

Some really good players will come out of Africa in the next 10 years.  If I had a say I would be spending a bit of time and effort in that market.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »

Some really good players will come out of Africa in the next 10 years.  If I had a say I would be spending a bit of time and effort in that market.
an absolute gold mine waiting to happen..... If your looking for athleticism. If your looking for footy smarts then it will take years.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:50 PM »

an absolute gold mine waiting to happen..... If your looking for athleticism. If your looking for footy smarts then it will take years.

Agree Mr T.  The AFL have been working over there with kids for many years now (we billeted some players from a rep side back in '98 so certainly >10 years) and there are very encouraging numbers playing in formal structures.  Very similar skillsets to our own indigenous players and it won't be overnight but it will happen.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
John Heslin confirms Richmond Tigers move (Sports News Ireland)
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 03:35:55 AM »
John Heslin confirms Richmond Tigers move
Gary Quinn, 28 March 2011

It was confirmed at the weekend that Westmeath underage star, John Heslin will be joining AFL club Richmond Tigers. The teenager has signed a two year contract with the Australian side.

Originally it was believed that new franchise Gold Coast Suns was Heslin’s destination but the player has now announced that he is heading for a new career with Richmond.

The Mullingar man was spotted by Aussie scouts at last month’s Sigerson Cup Finals and had trials before he was signed up on a rookie contract. Speaking in the Sunday Independent, Heslin revealed that he turned down the opportunity of a move to play soccer in the UK with Derby County in his younger days, but couldn’t do the same when the AFL came calling.

He told the newspaper, “The professional aspect of [soccer] was very appealing but the set-up just wasn’t very welcoming. The manager rarely talked to us. It was almost like we were a number.

“The Australian set-up was so different. Everyone was welcoming from the start, and I know I was a bit older but it was a totally different atmosphere. For the week I was there I was wearing Jack Riewoldt’s (famous Rules player) boots because I needed moulded studs. Kenny Miller was at Derby then and he wouldn’t even have noticed younger lads let alone loan us his boots.

“When I came back I just asked myself would I rather be scoring a goal in Pride Park or a point in Croke Park into Hill 16 against the Dubs. I didn’t even have to think about the answer so I knew what needed to be done.”

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/13244/

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: John Heslin confirms Richmond Tigers move (Sports News Ireland)
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 05:43:52 AM »

“When I came back I just asked myself would I rather be scoring a goal in Pride Park or a point in Croke Park into Hill 16 against the Dubs. I didn’t even have to think about the answer so I knew what needed to be done.”

what what what ?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »
It's official.....

Tiger eyes are smiling
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
5:27 PM Tue 29 Mar, 2011

Richmond has signed one of Ireland’s brightest, young sporting stars . . .

John Heslin, an 18-year-old Agricultural Science student from University College Dublin, who has shone at hurling, soccer and Gaelic football, will be selected by the Tigers as an international rookie in next December’s Rookie Draft.

Heslin currently plays Gaelic football for his university team, as well as at senior level for county club Westmeath.

As a junior, he represented Ireland in soccer, and made such an impression that he was invited to trial at then English Premier League club Derby County.

In between, the strongly-built, 189cm Heslin has excelled at Ireland’s other indigenous sport, hurling.

Moving forward, Richmond believes he has the necessary attributes to make a successful transition to AFL football.

Richmond’s Recruiting Manager Francis Jackson and Recruiting Officer Matthew Clarke spotted Heslin playing Gaelic football for UCD in the Sigerson Cup, a strong Universities’ competition, in early March.

“It’s a really big competition and it was a terrific schedule this year because they had quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals on three successive days (March 3-5),” Jackson said.

“We saw John play in the first game and, quite frankly, he was a standout, with his athleticism and all his movement skills, which were fantastic.

“Also, in terms of his decision-making, understanding of the play, and being unselfish in bringing teammates into the game, he was head and shoulders above the rest.

“He’s very quick, has got good lateral movement, an outstanding vertical leap, and he ran really hard playing in the midfield.

“We felt that he had all the athletic traits, as well as a great understanding of their game.

“We were lucky that his team won and we saw him again the next day . . .

“He was also very competitive . . . At crucial stages in the game, he was the one who lifted and brought his team back into it.

“When they lost, and didn’t make the final, I just watched him, and he was absolutely devastated . . .”

Having really liked what they saw of Heslin, the next step for the Tiger talent scouts was tracking him down for a meeting.

“We chased his phone number up . . . The game finished on the Saturday, and we organised to go out to his family farm, about an hour and 15 minutes out of Dublin, on the Tuesday night, to meet him, his father, Peter, and his mother, Margaret,” Jackson said.

“After meeting the family, we were confident that John came from a strong background.  He’s quite an independent kid, too . . . he’s doing second-year Agricultural Science, and lives with a couple of mates.

“We also found out, in our travels, that John had been out to Essendon last year for a three-week trial and that they’d made contact with him again a couple of weeks before we saw him . . .

“Our whole focus then was to ensure we acted quickly and decisively.  Consequently, we met them on the Tuesday and then flew back here on the Friday morning, with John and his father.

“Initially, we were going to stay a bit longer, and see some more games, but given that we’d found what we were looking for, we just wanted to get back.”

Heslin spent a week at Tigerland, his first day coinciding with the football department’s move into the ME Bank Centre’s magnificent, new facilities.

“It certainly made it a bit easier showing him through here, rather than where we used to be,” Jackson said.

“But, as I said to his father, this facility is fantastic, but clubs are about people and, unless you have the right people involved, who are going to coach, nurture and develop your kids, it doesn’t matter what type of building you’ve got . . .

“The whole focus on bringing John back here was not for us to watch him, because I was confident that he was a strong, competitive, independent kid, with all the athletic traits, and a hunger to learn, but more to show his father what type of environment he was letting his 18-year-old son come to.

“Overall, I think his father was very happy with what he saw at the Club, and he had a good rapport with a lot of people around the place . . .

“And, John’s ability to very quickly pick things up out on the track, and understand what professional sport’s all about, was particularly impressive.”

The plan now is for Heslin to is to finish his university commitments and the Gaelic football season with Westmeath, before returning to Tigerland for an intensive 10-week football education program, that will provide him with a solid head-start leading up to his official selection as a Richmond rookie at the end of the year.

Jackson is enthusiastically awaiting Heslin’s entry into the world of AFL football . . .

“He was way above anything else that we saw and, quite frankly, he can be a really exciting prospect for us if he continues to show that eagerness to learn and plenty of initiative,” Jackson said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/110321/default.aspx

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
I know it's early days for this kid but it is amazing just how far our recruitment has come since 2006

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 04:13:32 AM »
No idea if he can adapt and play Aussie Rules to AFL standard but at least we've tried to go out and find an Irishman with some size.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

Re: John Heslin confirms Richmond Tigers move (Sports News Ireland)
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »

what what what ?

He's talking about deciding between playing relegation soccer for a minnow club in front of 30,000 in England or a game of Gaelic Footy in front of 80,000 that actually means something to him.

Offline GAA_WESTMEATH

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 01:25:36 AM »
Having played football with john all my life i know first hand how talented he is, by far the most exciting player to watch play... i wont get to see him play ball in ireland again for a while so its very dissapointing but he made the right choice and hope he does the job for your club and im sure he will... watch out for him hes a real star and will make it... id put my life on that! :)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 02:34:55 AM »
Having played football with john all my life i know first hand how talented he is, by far the most exciting player to watch play... i wont get to see him play ball in ireland again for a while so its very dissapointing but he made the right choice and hope he does the job for your club and im sure he will... watch out for him hes a real star and will make it... id put my life on that! :)
Welcome to OER GAA :). Let's hope you're right  :cheers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline GAA_WESTMEATH

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 03:16:26 AM »
I will be right.. hes a HUGE loss for us, ill be supporting john and richmond from now on into the future