Author Topic: Irish recruit John Heslin / Rookie pick #90 [merged]  (Read 18894 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Irish recruit John Heslin / Rookie pick #90 [merged]
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
Bllody hell.......so we still seem to be the club that players leave the most.....would have to ask again, do we manage our players correctly.....????

Can we apply to the AFL for concession, or another pick, didn't the Dees get that when old mate was killed in the Sunami???
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
 :lol

think that there may be a bit off difference between being killed in a tsunami and going home because you are homesick, WAT

This makes me think back to an article last year, (or 2010?), about the costs V the strike rate of the Irish recruits. It may be time to put this experiment to bed as that article alluded to, I think.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
:lol

think that there may be a bit off difference between being killed in a tsunami and going home because you are homesick, WAT

This makes me think back to an article last year, (or 2010?), about the costs V the strike rate of the Irish recruits. It may be time to put this experiment to bed as that article alluded to, I think.

Yes there is al....but same principle...we are without a player, on the main list or not...

Agree! Stop recruiting them.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
oh dear.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »
Nuke from orbit.  >:(

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »
Stop the irish experiment, it's a waste of time.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:28 PM »
bloody waste of time, and Ive said that before on this failed irish experiment...FORGET it
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2012, 12:38:46 AM »
Was this guy a rookie or did he have a spot on the list?

Can we replace this spot? Or upgrade a rookie for him?
Go Tigers!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2012, 12:57:58 AM »
Real shame this guy went home, could of been a real good player..

"Rucks:

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2012, 03:16:29 AM »
Snip to all the infighting and namecalling crap!  ::)  :banghead

Stick to the topic ppl!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:58:10 AM by one-eyed »

Ruanaidh

« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
Snip to all the infighting and namecalling crap::)  :banghead

Stick to the topic ppl!
Happy to have missed that! On topic: I wish John all the best for whatever he pursues in his homeland. Kudos for giving it a try.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2012, 05:21:20 AM »
Home is where the heart is for talented Heslin
Westmeath's Aussie Rules rookie returns to satisfy his passion for Gaelic games, writes Marie Crowe
The Independent (Ireland)
Sunday February 19 2012

In a week when Tadhg Kennelly ran an Aussie Rules training camp for young GAA players, one of Ireland's most talented Gaelic footballers has decided that life as an AFL player isn't for him.

On Friday, Westmeath's John Heslin said goodbye to the Richmond Tigers in Melbourne and flew home to Ireland.

The reasons for the 19-year-old's return are simple: he missed home, his family, friends, and his life in Ireland but ultimately Heslin came back because his ties to the GAA are too strong to break.

"Before I left I lived for football. My life revolved around it but playing over in Australia was very different to here; the crack and the banter just isn't the same," explained Heslin.

"There is a lot to be said for running out on to the field with the lads you have grown up with and are friends with. The buzz and excitement wasn't there for me when I played AFL, it made me appreciate the GAA and made me realise what game I wanted to play."

It all started for Heslin this time last year, recruitment officers from the Richmond Tigers spotted him playing for UCD in the Sigerson Cup. Within days they had him on a plane to Melbourne for a trial and within weeks he signed up as a rookie.

Heslin moved over to Australia last summer to train for a few weeks on his own before pre-season started. Initially everything was rosy, the excitement of starting a new life distracted him from the reality of the lonely situation he was in. He threw himself into training, he needed to improve his fitness and learn a new game so he kept busy doing that. But as time went by cracks began to appear and Heslin found he was spending a lot of time on his own.

When pre-season started, Heslin envisioned a GAA-like experience, serious sessions but plenty of crack too; however, he found out pretty quickly that wasn't the case. He loved the training and the lifestyle but the Australian culture is very different to what he was used to and it just made Heslin miss home more. In a way, he felt he couldn't be himself so he just kept his head down and got on with it.

The weeks turned into months and although his fitness and skills improved, being so far away from home wasn't getting any easier. But the teenager wanted to make it work, he'd put in the hard slog and got through the pre-season training.

He called everyone he knew who had been involved in the AFL: Brendan Murphy, Marty Clarke, Tadhg Kennelly, Michael Shields, Kyle Coney and Colm Begley. They all had the same advice, try and hang on a bit longer, play some games, but if you don't like it come home.

Heslin tried. He kept training and playing but for him it just wasn't the same as lining out for Loman's or Westmeath.

He even went training with a GAA team in Melbourne in his spare time just to try and replicate what he was missing but as the time went by he just became more homesick.

"It got to the stage where I couldn't hold conversations with people, I didn't want to talk about AFL; I wanted to talk about GAA. It's always been my life and I like it being my life," said Heslin.

"You have to have heart and passion when playing sport and that's what I had for the GAA. I always put my heart into everything I do but it just wasn't there for AFL so I knew what I had to do."

His decision to come home wasn't a shock to the Melbourne Tigers, they knew he hadn't settled.

"I went through three weeks of hell, nights of just feeling low and not knowing what to do. Then things started to get to me, people were trying to be friendly but they just annoyed me. The homesickness just became overwhelming, when you are suffering from it every little thing seems irritating," explained Heslin.

"The club knew it was coming. I was finding training hard, I just didn't want to be there. I was doing weights and it would hit me hard that I wanted to be doing this at home with my friends, not here."

In many ways deciding to return was a harder decision to make than leaving. He was giving up a secure contract to return to a life of uncertainty in Ireland, leaving his job as a professional athlete to be a an amateur GAA player. He may not have a job to come home to but Heslin feels he made the right decision.

Today he will line out for his club St Loman's against local rivals St Malachy's. In a few days he will rejoin the Westmeath senior football panel and then in September he will return to college in UCD. He doesn't know if he will ever regret leaving Australia but one thing that's certain is he's happy to be home.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/home-is-where-the-heart-is-for-talented-heslin-3024266.html

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2012, 05:42:18 AM »
This dude was playing NBL too?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
I remember some comments from Heslin during early preseason saying that he found the training seriously tough, often and full on. I'm starting to think that these 5 minute types
can't hack the standard AFL requirement these days where you must aim for elite fitness levels. For me that is a good sign that the club is rooting out the "Lazy fantazies" with a baptism of fire.  :thumbsup

Ruanaidh

« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »
Reading Zac Tuohy's story in the rag today made me wonder how John is going and whether or not the club is still in contact with him. Does anyone know if there is ongoing communication occurring?