Author Topic: Mitch Morton - a top 5 lair of the AFL (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1202 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mitch Morton - a top 5 lair of the AFL (Herald-Sun)
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
Hard boiled's top 5 lairs

Mark Stevens
    April 03, 2011 6:58PM

THE lair is alive. In an era of structures, processes and playing the percentages it is refreshing to know there are still renegades playing like it's 1985.

1. The Showboat files

THE lair is alive.

In an era of structures, processes and playing the percentages it is refreshing to know there are still renegades playing like it's 1985.

Mitch Morton, god bless him, is the most recent example.

Deep in time-on in the final term, with Richmond needing a goal to get back in front, the ball was pumped to the top of the goalsquare.

Coaches these days want a fair contest. If the forward can not mark it within his limitations, they wanted it "spiked" to the ground to create chaos on the possibility of a lethal crumb.

Morton, still high on confidence after taking a hanger in the third term, tried to impersonate Michael "Disco" Roach and take mark of the year.

It was spectacular, yet stupid. Morton got nowhere near it and gave away a silly "in the back" free to St Kilda, which was able to clear it.

Make no mistake, the coach Damien Hardwick would have been furious.

But it is a careful balancing act. After Morton took mark of the night in the third, he should have gone back and slotted the goal from 40m. After all, he is a superb set shot.

Instead, as if he had messages from a string of coaches ringing in his ear, Morton took a risk and squared it to Trent Cotchin. It was nice team play, but "Cotch" missed.

If Hardwick is as sharp as we think he is, Morton would have copped no more than a quiet reminder of obligations to the team after the untimely last term fly.

It is that natural exuberance that makes Morton so unpredictable and dangerous ... and also the No.1. lair in the game.

Hard Boiled's top 5 lairs

1. Mitch Morton (Richmond): For the reasons above. Carrying on Nathan Brown's legacy at Punt Rd.

2. Daniel Motlop (Port): Would rather try a reverse torp than a routine drop punt.

3. Jared Brennan (Suns): Spare us the one-handed stuff. You needed to do more last night.

4. Steve Johnson (Geel): Revels in doing the easy things the hard way. Good enough to get away with it.

5. Stephen Milne (St K): Loves kicking around corners. At his best when adventurous, like McEnroue when he was angry.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hard-boileds-top-5-lairs/story-e6frf9jf-1226032872578

Offline tiger4life

• Future Richmond star
Re: Mitch Morton - a top 5 lair of the AFL (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »
I can't wait for the day when Footy is played by a bunch of robots.

Also, why isn't Lindsay Thomas from North in there?

Biggest show pony I have ever seen, did anyone see his celebration after he kicked again on Saturday?

Scrubbered a kick through head high from a set shot 10 Goals down or something at the time and he raises his hand to the crowd like he's some superstar.

The guy does it on a weekly basis and is one of the most selfish players I've ever seen.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »

Biggest show pony I have ever seen, did anyone see his celebration after he kicked again on Saturday?

Scrubbered a kick through head high from a set shot 10 Goals down or something at the time and he raises his hand to the crowd like he's some superstar.

The guy does it on a weekly basis and is one of the most selfish players I've ever seen.

Well lets be honest they really don't have much to celebrate at N0rt Melb - got make hay while the sun shines I suppose   :rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger4life

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »

Well lets be honest they really don't have much to celebrate at N0rt Melb - got make hay while the sun shines I suppose   :rollin :rollin

I suppose if they moved to the GC they'd have constant sunshine.  :lol

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:50:34 AM »
Well if Mitch Morton is a lair, I want a whole team of them. Nothing wrong with Morton, keep going Mitch.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 05:50:50 AM »
Well lets be honest they really don't have much to celebrate at N0rt Melb - got make hay while the sun shines I suppose   :rollin :rollin

Luv your humour WP.

I suppose if they moved to the GC they'd have constant sunshine.  :lol

It would be nice to get some sunshine in QLD and lots less wind. Its snapper season again but the wind is keeping us all in the harbour. :banghead

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:51:23 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
Less concerned by Mitch's lairising than I am by his inconsistency.
Just needs to do the basics well.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »

I suppose if they moved to the GC they'd have constant sunshine.  :lol

And 100 million dollars in the bank. :help :lol :rollin :lol ;D :laugh: :stupid :thatsgold :ROTFL :jump :nopity :blah :congrats :invasion :police: :santa 8) :clapping :bow :scream