Author Topic: Chris Newmans smother  (Read 1390 times)

jackstar is back again

Chris Newmans smother
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »
Just watched the tape again from friday nite, if anyone ever doubted Chris Newman, have a look at his last smother.
It saved us the game.
Well done Captain. :thumbsup

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Chris Newmans smother
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
Was lucky he didn't give away a free for in the back

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:04:16 PM »
Yep a great smother. The captain saved the day  :thumbsup.

Thankfully also that it was fumble-fingers Blake who was trying to gather the ball in the last 10 secs and not the clean hands of a  Goddard.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:00:05 AM »
Newman has been an inspired choice as skipper.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »
Newman has been an inspired choice as skipper.

:thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »
i must admit i had my doubts when he once told me at Motel that Terry Wallace was the best coach he had ever played under

In all seriousness he has everything you want in a captain. He is tough, ruthless down back. That effort was very Heath Shaw like in the GF
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »
Well it was either going to be Terry, Spud or his Auskick coach (probably should have picked him newy)  ;D

gerkin greg

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »
I'll not hear a bad word about Newman's mother  >:(

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »
It's Newman and Jackson that lead the way in uncompromising toughness and tenacity.  And they are both great clubman with team first mentality. Meet them and you find they're good blokes.

I just can't understand anyone would ever want these guys gone. 
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
Loved the fight from the boys on the weekend in a few tussels off the ball. The wrestle with Newy was terrific from where I sat!  :thumbsup

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
Back in 2004 at the Members Cocktail party I was having a chat to Chris Hyde and Chris Newman, I joked to Chris that I bet he would be our next captain.

*I re-wrote this post about 10 times trying to make it sound les "Mr know-it-All" that's not its intention, however I am a know it all anyway lol.

Probably the hardest job in the AFL captaining our club the last 3 years. Its been a circus. With Ben Cousins arrival, Terry getting sacked and things being leaked, to the failure of the side, to Richo's farewell, to Ben Cousins maintenance, to a horrendous 0-9 start under Hardwick. Newman has done an immense job. Easier then captaining a bunch of passengers at Carlton or Essendon.

Good on ya skip.
Go Tigers!

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »
Back in 2004 at the Members Cocktail party I was having a chat to Chris Hyde and Chris Newman, I joked to Chris that I bet he would be our next captain. *I re-wrote this post about 10 times trying to make it sound les "Mr know-it-All" that's not its intention, however I am a know it all anyway lol.

Probably the hardest job in the AFL captaining our club the last 3 years. Its been a circus. With Ben Cousins arrival, Terry getting sacked and things being leaked, to the failure of the side, to Richo's farewell, to Ben Cousins maintenance, to a horrendous 0-9 start under Hardwick. Newman has done an immense job. Easier then captaining a bunch of passengers at Carlton or Essendon.

Good on ya skip.

Pity you were talking to Chris Hyde not Chris Newman.

:lol

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:40:57 PM »
I have always thought Chris has been a classy player but he as added more grunt and physicality to his game after I thought his game stagnated for a while around 2008/09 after his broken leg.

For a while it seemed he was less accountable and was more worried about accumulating stats.

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »
Back in 2004 at the Members Cocktail party I was having a chat to Chris Hyde and Chris Newman, I joked to Chris that I bet he would be our next captain.

*I re-wrote this post about 10 times trying to make it sound les "Mr know-it-All" that's not its intention, however I am a know it all anyway lol.

Good on ya skip.

If there's one captain in the competition who deserves to lead his team out onto the MCG in September, it's him.
Push up!