Author Topic: Article by a cretin lol  (Read 1782 times)

froars

Article by a cretin lol
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:31:38 AM »
Or is he?

Richmond fans typify the famous quote: "Football isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that". So seriously do Richmond fans take their football, the club is prone to extremes of popularity. In the good times, it ranks alongside Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon as one of Melbourne's "big four". In bad times, Richmond fans desert the club as they are unable to cope with the stress of losing. Their popularity subsequently ranks alongside the likes of North Melbourne.

The Sleeping Giants of the AFL

Tiger fans are notoriously demanding. Arguably they are also the most incapable of coming to terms with losing. They are not like St Kilda fans who see losing as somewhat part of their identity, or Sydney fans who will be unfazed and find another form of entertainment, or Collingwood fans who will be disappointed by still struggle onwards. No, for Richmond fans, defeat is a cut that is almost too difficult to bear. To deal with this psychological turmoil, some fans take proactive action such demanding the removal of the coaches head. In 1981, the need to placate fans led to the sacking of coach Tony Jewell. This was quite a hasty move considering that he had coached the club to a premiership the year before. The club did the same with Francis Bourke in 1983 after he coached them to a grand final in the previous year. In 2001, another proactive fan tried to remedy Richmond's poor start to the season by dumping a load of chicken manure on the club's doorstep. Countless others tore up their memberships and posted them back to the club as their way of motivating their beloved Tigers.

Of those who can't take such affirmative action, alternative strategies are used to deal with their frustration. To their credit, this rarely involves changing allegiances or going to watch a successful VFA team (ala Port Adelaide supporters.) No, Richmond fans often stop watching football altogether. When quizzed, they don't deny that they were once Richmond fans nor do they deny that Richmond meant to the world to them. They simply say things like they "have lost interest in football due to the AFL administration making it a farce."

Of course this is somewhat of a lie. In reality, the Tiger fans are gazing upon the AFL from the fringes, keeping one eye on the results whilst pretending not to care. Then once the Tigers start winning again, they pounce back into the fray; cheering like the fans of old. This tendency to disappear only to roar back into life often has the club being labelled the "sleeping giant of the AFL".

The seeds of Richmond's culture were sewn in 1921 when the club changed its name from the "yellow and black angels" to the "Tigers". The ferocity of its new moniker inspired the catch cry "eat'em alive". It was a brutal cry that compelled players to make no apologise for their methods and let nothing stand in the way of victory.

In the 1930s, a player by the name of Jack Dyer, turned the brutal mentality into an art form. Dyer used a lethal shirt front to break the collar bones of 64 opponents. With a procession of broken players laying in his wake, Dyer was bestowed the title "Captain Blood." On the back of his ferocity, the Tigers won flags in 1932, 1934 and 1943. From the 1960s to early 80s, the club again built a platform for success on the back of big, tough, uncompromising players who like Dyer, let nothing stand in their way. In the era, they won flags in 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1980.

However in the 80s, the 'take no prisoners' approach that had delivered success in the past, contributed to the club's demise. In the 21 years from 1962-1982, Richmond won 66 per cent of its games. In the 21 years from 1983-2003, it won just 39 per cent.

Fans were accustomed to winning and were intolerant of failure. Those who did not deliver had always been discarded and replaced with those who were more keeping with the Tiger ethic. In 1982, David Cloke, Geoff Raines and Bryan Wood all left the club. In the same year, interstate player draft was introduced thus making players more difficult to replace.

Failing to adapt, the Tigers remained merciless to players they felt were under performing. As a result, a great deal of talent was lost to rival clubs; merely compounding the problem. As results got progressively worse, a culture built upon tearing apart the opposition, began tearing apart itself. Disenchanted icons left the club and without the benefit of their experience, the young recruits had no one to educate them about the Tiger's intimidating culture. Performances went into freefall and fans unable to cope with losing left as well.

With such demanding fans, the board has lacked the patience to spend time at the bottom of the ladder to gain access to the prized draft selections. Furthermore, when the prized draft selections were attained, they were subsequently traded away on established players in the hope of attaining quick results.

Ironically, because the recruits have created an unrealistic sense of expectation, this policy has contributed to the fan's hostility. Fans feel like the board has made promises that the players just can't deliver. On the other hand, St Kilda fans whose club has won 26 wooden spoons, have been comfortable on the bottom of ladder which in turn allowed the board to acquire the best young talent and subsequently build teams capable of winning premierships.

Aside from lacking skill, the playing personnel bares little resemblance to the intimidating culture of old. The weakness of the playing personnel further contributes to the fan's hostility. Although every Richmond fan would prefer to win on the scoreboard, a victory on the casualty count is a worthy consolation prize. But in recruitment and playing style, Richmond teams have been soft for years.

Such softness was typified in 2001 when Richmond Captain Matthew Knights was king hit by the diminutive Tony Liberatore. Knights was subsequently seen with blood steaming down his face, slapping Libratore with an open hand. Considering Jack Dyer's lofty reputation for spilling blood, the image of a Richmond captain crying about being king hit by a little man, and the team losing as well, was too much to bare. Not only were their Tigers losers, they were being eaten alive.

Roy Morgan research

Richmond Tigers supporters are:

2001 - compared to the average Australian

46% more likely than the average person to in the 25-34 age bracket;
26% more likely to be in the highest (AB) socio-economic group
58% more likely to have a professional occupation;
11% more likely to own a mobile phone;
96% more likely to place a bet at the TAB than the average Australian.

2004 - compared to other AFL supporters

35% more likely to be aged 35-49
32% more likely to be managers
55% more likely to have gone to the ballet or opera
47% more likely to have gone to a zoo/wildlife park/sanctuary
32% more likely to play video games at home
52% more likely to go to a jazz classical or blues performance

Rivalries

Collingwood - Richmond fans have often depicted Collingwood as representing the worst stereotypes of the working-class; profane, unruly, aggressive and obnoxious. On the other hand, Richmond has depicted themselves as representing the best aspects on the class; passionate and tough.

Personifying the difference was a TV show hosted by ex-Richmond Captain Jack Dyer, and ex-Collingwood Captain, Lou Richards. There was Dyer, a magnificent physical specimen whose mere presence commanded valour, strength and dignity. Besides him was Richards; a sly little weasel who would rob his own mother if given half a chance.

In recent years the rivalry has waned as there have been no Jack Dyers in Richmond's teams and they are now about as intimidating as Bambi. As for Collingwood, it has become respectable now that Eddie McGuire has given the fans elocution lessons. The only consolation is Eddie has been unable to rid the club of its Colliwobbles and for many old Tiger fans, the next best thing to Richmond winning a flag, is seeing the Magpies lose one. 

Richmond comments in regards to Collingwood (and vice versa)

"(Collingwood supporters) are obscene and abusive – really in your face when they're winning and taking it out on opposition supporters when they're losing,"

"You walk through the `grog squad' in the standing area behind the city goals and you'll see what I mean," (Jeff "Joffa" Corfe)

"Scumwood (Collingwood) are the ferals from hell . . . however we do run a close second." 

"Although the AFL is a national competition, the truly passionate rivalries remain largely local affairs. Richmond haven't won a premiership for more than 20 years, but whenever Collingwood play the Tigers there's an almost tangible energy around the place. " (Mick Malthose)

"I firmly believe that we all hate them 'cause they are like us – passionate, feral and complete nuts!" 

Richmond Jokes

1) A Family of Collingwood supporters head out one Saturday morning to do their Christmas shoplifting. While in Rebel Sports the son picks up a Richmond footy jumper and says to his 10 year old sister, "I've decided to become a Tiger supporter and I would like this for Christmas". His sister, outraged by this, promptly whacks him round the head with her carton of Winfields and says, "Go talk to Mum.

Off goes the little lad with the Richmond footy jumper in hand and finds his mother. "Mum?" "Yes son?" "I've decided I'm going to be a Tiger supporter and I would like this jumper for Christmas". The mother is outraged at this and throws her moccasins and a full stubbie of VB at him, promptly whacks him around the head and says, "lets go talk to your father".

Off they go to Pentridge during visiting hours with footy jumper in hand and find bubba, his father. "Dad?" "Yes son?" "I've decided I'm going to be a Richmond supporter and I would like this jumper for Christmas". The father is outraged and promptly whacks his son around the head with his fists and says, "No son of mine is ever going to be seen in THAT", and then kicks him from one end of the rec. room to the other for further good measure.

About half an hour later they're all back in the car and heading towards home (Reservoir). The mother turns to her son and says "Son, I hope you've learned something today?" The son says, "Yes knackers I have." "Good son, what is it?"

The son replies, "I've only been a Richmond supporter for an hour and already I hate you Collingwood bastards."
www.convictcreations.com

2)A Richmond supporter arrived at the MCG and asked for a ticket. Since he hadn't been for a while, he needed to enquire about the  prices. "How much to get in ?" he asked. "16 dollars" said the ticket seller. "Well, here is 8, I only watch one side."

Richmond as a wine

Richmond Hill Gold and Black label Shiraz:
A bold, high-alcohol variety that appears on shelves with a great fanfare every March, but tends to have completely sold out by September. Inconsistent texture that tantalises but always fails to deliver, although recent crops appear to have more potential. WARNING: This wine is associated with high rates of alcoholism and violence.

Icons

Jack Dyer - Tough and well-mannered. Nicknamed Captain Blood after breaking the collar bones of 64 opponents.

Royce Hart - Big, tough centre-half forward with such courage that he expected to be concussed six or seven times a year.

Kevin Sheedy - No frills backman renowned for dirty play and tough work ethic. Was a plumber by trade.

Kevin Bartlett - Estranged son who played in five premierships. After being removed as coach, vowed never to return. Known as 'Hungry' because of his unwillingness to handball.

Michael Roach - Big, high flying full-forward.

Matthew Richardson - Big, strong marking forward. Known to turn on own team-mates. Would kick goals from outside the 50, only to miss set shots from 15 meters. Truly the highs and lows rolled into one.

Tom Hafey - As coach, was famous for his hatred of players finessing with ball. His mantra was kick long. If only Frawley had been inducted in the Hafey culture, he wouldn't have spent five years cultivating Richmond to be the shortest kicking team in the league.

http://www.convictcreations.com/football/richmond.htm

Ox

Re: Article by a cretin lol
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:43:11 AM »
get a life whoever wrote this.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »
In bad times, Richmond fans desert the club as they are unable to cope with the stress of losing. Their popularity subsequently ranks alongside the likes of North Melbourne.

What a load of crap.  This guys got no idea.  Who wrote it?
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 01:08:35 PM »
Such softness was typified in 2001 when Richmond Captain Matthew Knights was king hit by the diminutive Tony Liberatore. Knights was subsequently seen with blood steaming down his face, slapping Libratore with an open hand. Considering Jack Dyer's lofty reputation for spilling blood, the image of a Richmond captain crying about being king hit by a little man, and the team losing as well, was too much to bare. Not only were their Tigers losers, they were being eaten alive.

::) ::) Struth if you're gonna write a crappy article - at least you could get ya crappy facts straight - Campbell was Captain in 2001 - not Knights  :help

;D :rollin :banghead :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 04:03:57 PM »
That convict creations article has been around a while. Just updated it to include 2004.

The bandwagon label is crap. All clubs have their bandwagon supporters. Only 5 or 6 years ago we had more members than the Pies when they won their wooden spoon. IIRC we still had something like the 5th or 6th highest attendances this year. We're still here even after 25 years of failure and the last 5 years of freefall under Spud and we'll be back  :thumbsup. Most other clubs would've gone under.

Don't know where they got "yellow and black angels" from  ???. We were known as the Tigers before 1921. The Eat 'em alive cry came from Bernie Herbert after the 1920 or 1921 GF win. Apparently he shouted to the crowd in the rooms "what did we do?" and the crowd yelled back "we ate 'em alive". 

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 09:41:41 PM »
That convict creations article has been around a while. Just updated it to include 2004.

. The Eat 'em alive cry came from Bernie Herbert after the 1920 or 1921 GF win. Apparently he shouted to the crowd in the rooms "what did we do?" and the crowd yelled back "we ate 'em alive". 

And we'll eat em alive again!!

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 03:59:08 PM »
I thought we were known as the wasps before being known as the tigers??

It frikken riles me to death about this bandwagon assertion.
We still can draw crowds even when down,and as pointed out Collingwood fans were nowhere to be found 5 years ago.
One of the most pleasing things about Richmond to me is its fans,who still are fanatical about their side despite all the failures on and off field.We refuse to accept mediocrity and demand success as any successful club or business would.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

froars

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 05:36:24 PM »
We are the best fans in the league (and the worst in many respects).
I wonder how many clubs would still be in existence if their supporters have had to put up with the crap we've put up with - and still come back for more every year. 
They will see how big we are in a few years and i can't wait to get back at every person who has laughed at me over those years  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 10:38:48 PM »
I think you're right about being called wasps at one time BK.

It frikken riles me to death about this bandwagon assertion.

As well as the maggies, where were all these Saint and Cat fans fans 5 years ago? I haven't see too many Blues or Hawk fans go to the footy either the past few years. For anyone around in the 70's and the very early 80's you'd be lucky to meet a bomber supporter unless you lived on the Broady line. All clubs have their bandwagon element and as Moi said our supporters are one of the most loyalist. It's odd to say when we are losing that we're so fickle we don't bother showing up yet we're also so passionate and feral that we tear up our memberships ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd