Author Topic: Positives from last night's game?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Positives from last night's game?
« on: April 16, 2011, 12:03:13 AM »
Are we able to extract positives from a 71-point loss? The 3rd quarter the one obvious positive from the night.

Fire away.....

tony_montana

Re: Positives from last night's game?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:09:57 AM »
Lids took a game on, both early when the heat was on and took us by the scruff of the neck in the 3rd, was pretty damn awesome.

Martin and Cotch had strong games, loved the way martin took apart Harry O whenever he rested fwd. Concas game was very good. The desperation shown by our young defenders when the intensity went up is a massive learning curve for them, in the 3rd it was as if they forgot about the awe and just went hard.

The way we repeatedly broke through the pies defensive press was encouraging, we rarely looked flustered, decision making getting better? Much much much better than the last 2 years thats for sure

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »
Biggest positive was the style of play we stuck to and it worked in the 3rd when we executed it effectively. No bombing out of defence a lot of run and carry, as much as I dislike it, it was effective breaking down the zone and then a big kick over the back. Thought it was very pleasing to see a game style and game plan and have it work against the best.

Kicking over 100 points, albeit losing by 71. If we are going to lose by 11 goals then its better to lose whilst kicking goals.

We also had 3 of our best KP defenders out, would have helped to have McGuane and Rance taking Dawes and Cloke with 3rd man Moore coming over.

Best on Ground was Dale Thomas, Shane Edwards man. Shane's last game for a while.
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 01:18:52 AM »
The 3rd quarter (even the 2nd as well)

Lids, Martin, Cotchin, Grigg, Jackson, Conca in the guts showing signs

Our horror 4 week start to the draw is over

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 01:29:03 AM »
The 3rd quarter (even the 2nd as well)

Lids, Martin, Cotchin, Grigg, Jackson, Conca in the guts showing signs

Our horror 4 week start to the draw is over

How does Richmond cop the reigning premiers, the reigining runners up, the number 1 contendor for the flag and Carlton a top 6 side in teh first 4 rounds. Richmond the team taht finished 2nd bottom last year.

WB who finished 4th fixtured:
Essendon (4th bottom last year)
Gold Coast (New Club)
Brisbane (3rd bottom)
And scored a bye/week off to reload.

WB were embarressed by Essendon and were let off with an easy draw to get confidence back. Imagine if they had Saints, Hawks and Coll instead. Different story.

Its unlucky but the start to a season can make or break your year.

We could have WB draw and be 3-0.

Fixture is a fixture and there is no point complaining about it but just interesting to look at. Ofcourse we are dissapointed with the start to the year but we have to take into account the 2 toughest opponents are out of the way in Hawks and Pies.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
Jake Batchelor has balls, this ones going to be good. When Cotchin, Lids, Martin and Foley get going we look pretty damn good. Just need a bit more support and another 50 minutes. Clearly matched the benchmark for 1 half.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
dont worry about the score board
we hads many positives last night
for starters we have the blue print on how to beat the press and the pies structures, we just dont have th ebodies and team yet to maintain it for 4 quarters
but the fact that we kept the game plan going all the way without fear of a blowout is a good thing
the cats and hawks went through this faze, we will be ok
that third quarter and second half of the second quarter is what we need to do for 4 quarters, but its not easy with a young raw team, but we just have to persist and not deviate
conca bachelor and helbig will be gems
edwards is not a worry yet, he finds the balls, does everything right except when he executes, he snuffs it mostly under perceieved pressure, he should have kicked three goals last night, if hardwick can somehow ease his composure and work with it, he could be anything , only if he had the confidence of that fag thomas
our biggest problem is nahas and gus, and im still worried about foley and white
but all i can say is that in 2 yrs time , martin, cotchin, deledio, conca will be the most feared midfield going around

we r on the right track

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
Cotchin, Martin and Brett were outstanding. they stood uo from the word go against the best side in the competition. Thursfield Jackson and Griggs tried hard. Houli played okay particularly in first quarter when we were being thrashed. Jack did well for the limited possessions he got. Did some good team stuff. Batchelor got better as the game went on. Newman tried hard all game. I was impressed by our tackling and some of the blocking we did. Miller did okay but for his kicking he would had three goals. Our second and third quarters were quite good.

Diappointments were. Very disappointed with Foley's game. Graham and Edwards were atrocious. Graham kept on falling over at critical stages and the disposal of Edwards was well below the standard required of an afl player. White only performed in 3RD Quarter.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »
Newman leadership. :thumbsup
Deledio better game than the St KIlda one.
Martin was very good after a few early blues by foot.
Grigg got better after an indifferent start.
Jack had little impact on the result but still kicked four goals and was effervescent and interactive with teammates.
Cotchin just sublime, superb, stunning. Delivering the footy we all hoped he would when we drafted him.
Astbury and Grimes gain valuable experience and kept at their job despite the scoreboard.
Houli continues to do his job.
Jako gives 110% in his role. We need a player like him in the side.
Conca was brilliant. Decision making and skills were fantastic.
Batchelor keeps on improving. We have a beauty here and same with Helbig despite his limited time last night.
White was okay as well and is starting to get more footy.

Other than Newman everyone else mentioned is under 25. That's a good enough positive for me. I'll take the hits now on the scoreboard while the majority of the side is raw and youthful and playing like we endeavoured to play last night. In the next 18-24 months look out. :thumbsup

Offline Bateman

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »
Batchelor riding Swan into the turf and nearly rupturing his AC joint  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
I'm positive that Edwards must be dropped  ;D

How does Richmond cop the reigning premiers, the reigining runners up, the number 1 contendor for the flag and Carlton a top 6 side in teh first 4 rounds. Richmond the team taht finished 2nd bottom last year.

Gold Coast (New Club)
Brisbane (3rd bottom)

WB were embarressed by Essendon and were let off with an easy draw to get confidence back. Imagine if they had Saints, Hawks and Coll instead. Different story.

Fixture is a fixture and there is no point complaining about it but just interesting to look at. Ofcourse we are dissapointed with the start to the year but we have to take into account the 2 toughest opponents are out of the way in Hawks and Pies.

??? :-\ :-\ :help :help

are you Mark Fine from SEN, what you've just posted is almost word for word what Mark Fine said on SEN last night sometime after 11.00pm

If that's where you've taken it from Pope you should have ackonowledged that  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:59:49 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
Well we know that our top 5 are as good as any and the lower ranks need the work put into them. 2nd and 3rd quarters show that when we get a couple more years into the 2nd 3rd tiers and we can put in a 4 qtr performance we will be able to match it against anyone.

That said it was a sickening result and just plain not good enough in the end, North is a MUST win - NO EXCUSES!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »
So is Brissy and Freo in the next two after the Sh1tboners. :thumbsup

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »
I'm positive that Edwards must be dropped  ;D

Gold Coast (New Club)
Brisbane (3rd bottom)

??? :-\ :-\ :help :help

are you Mark Fine from SEN, what you've just posted is almost word for word what Mark Fine said on SEN last night sometime after 11.00pm

If that's where you've taken it from Pope you should have ackonowledged that  

Lol yes it was the example of what Finey said, I'm pretty sure I repeated this post in another thread and mentioned Finey said it. Someone said the horror first 4 rounds has ended Dimma mentioned it was the draw from hell. Finey used the WB draw vs the Rich draw saying that confidence is the key in football so how is that fair a top 4 side gets such an easy draw and 2nd bottom cops what could be the final 4 teams at the end of the year.

I merely used the example to say if we had WB draw we could be 3-0.
Go Tigers!

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
I was impressed with the showing of Grimes last night, in my eyes he appeared to improve as the game went on. In my opinion he should be persevered with while Astbury seems to be lacking in confidence and perhaps would benefit from a couple of games at Coburg.