Author Topic: We need to win contested ball: Edwards (afl)  (Read 1925 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We need to win contested ball: Edwards (afl)
« on: April 16, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
We need to win contested ball: Edwards
By Mark Macgugan
Sat 16 Apr, 2011

RICHMOND midfielder Shane Edwards believes his side's inability to win contested football was the main reason for Collingwood's dominance in the first and fourth quarters at the MCG on Friday night.

The Tigers level-pegged with the undefeated Magpies in the second term and piled on six goals to two in a superb third quarter, but conceded eight goals in the first and nine in the last to lose by 71 points.

"I think the second and third quarters were really good quarters, it's just winning the contested ball is pretty inconsistent," Edwards told afl.com.au.

"The first quarter, we just didn't touch the footy and we lost the quarter by about seven goals.

"Same as the last quarter. It was a blowout because we kept losing the contested ball."

Highlighting Edwards' point, in Collingwood's two dominant quarters combined, they amassed a whopping 95 contested possessions to Richmond's 47.

In the intervening two terms, the Tigers won the count 64-58.

"When we win the contested ball, which we did in the third quarter, we're a good side. We just need to win it," Edwards said.

The 22 year-old, who gathered 22 disposals for the night, also noted that his side needs to quickly halt an emerging trend of starting poorly, having also conceded a big quarter-time lead to Hawthorn last week.

"We need to have that as our focus for our next game against the Kangaroos - starting really strong," Edwards said.

"Starting slowly puts us on the back foot. We catch up, but then we've spent a lot of our energy trying to catch up, and we just got overrun in the end."

Although disappointed to lose, Edwards was pleased the Tigers were able to show glimpses of how dangerous they can be when their fast-moving, direct, often risky style of play comes off.

"Playing against Collingwood, the only way you're going to win is by taking risks," he said.

"That's why Geelong was such a good side for such a long time, because they had an attacking gameplan and their skills were really good.

"It's hard to stop when you're winning the ball and your skills are good and you're taking them on, so that's what we're trying to achieve."

With that in mind, Edwards expects his team to start seeing better results over the next month, which features assignments against North Melbourne, the Brisbane Lions, Fremantle and the Western Bulldogs.

"The next four rounds, we want to win all four, and we're confident that we can," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=111791

Hellenic Tiger

Re: We need to win contested ball: Edwards (afl)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
How about you using the ball better and making sure every time you get near the ball Shane its not momentum killing whether by hand foot or just plain stupidity. Thomas gave you a bath last night Shane.

Its easy to blame contested possession but when disposal and decisions made under pressure are poor it all adds up to heavy defeats.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »
nah, tucker. Its the poor disposal and decisions that are made when not under pressure that's the real killer.

Last year we matched most sides in contested possession/clearances but got hammered in the uncontested possessions.

Last night we easily won the uncontested but got soundly beaten in the contested possessions as well as the clearances.

Phase 2?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »
OMG, I just can't believe it, the acticle should have been about his crap games.

Gee Shane great that you can see where the SIDE is going wrong..now what about you???
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ox

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
hOW IT SHOULD READ

Sat 16 Apr, 2011[/i]

RICHMOND midfielder Shane Edwards believes his inability to win contested football and hit targets was the main reason for Collingwood's dominance in the first and fourth quarters at the MCG on Friday night.

The Tigers level-pegged with the undefeated Magpies in the second term and piled on six goals to two in a superb third quarter, but conceded eight goals in the first and nine in the last to lose by 71 points.

"I think the second and third quarters were really good quarters, it's just winning the contested ball is pretty hard when you're as inconsistent as me," Edwards told afl.com.au.

"The first quarter, I just didn't touch the footy and we lost the quarter by about seven goals.

"Same as the last quarter. It was a blowout because I kept losing the contested ball and stuffing things up,like those two missed shots at goal of mine."

"When we win the contested ball, which we did in the third quarter, we're a good side. I just need to win it and stop playing and kicking like  wacko," Edwards said.

The 22 year-old, who gathered 22 disposals for the night,16 wasted, also noted that HE needs to quickly halt an emerging trend of starting poorly, having also conceded a big quarter-time lead to Hawthorn last week.

"I need to have that as my main focus for our next game against the Kangaroos - starting really strong," Edwards said.

"Starting slowly puts me on the back foot. We catch up, but then we've spent a lot of our energy trying to make up for my pathetic mistakes, and we just got overrun in the end."

Although disappointed to lose, Edwards was pleased the Tigers were able to show glimpses of how dangerous they can be when their fast-moving, direct, often risky style of play comes off.

"Playing against Collingwood, the only way you're going to win is by taking risks but in my case,the risk is whenever i have the ball" he said.

"The next four rounds, we want to win all four, and we're confident that we can,so long as im either out of the squad or improve immensely" he said.

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »
hOW IT SHOULD READ

Sat 16 Apr, 2011[/i]

RICHMOND midfielder Shane Edwards believes his inability to win contested football and hit targets was the main reason for Collingwood's dominance in the first and fourth quarters at the MCG on Friday night.

"I think the second and third quarters were really good quarters, it's just winning the contested ball is pretty hard when you're as inconsistent as me," Edwards told afl.com.au.

"The first quarter, I just didn't touch the footy and we lost the quarter by about seven goals.

"Same as the last quarter. It was a blowout because I kept losing the contested ball and effing things up,like those two missed shots at goal of mine."

"When we win the contested ball, which we did in the third quarter, we're a good side. I just need to win it and stop playing and kicking like  wacko," Edwards said.

The 22 year-old, who gathered 22 disposals for the night,16 wasted, also noted that HE needs to quickly halt an emerging trend of starting poorly, having also conceded a big quarter-time lead to Hawthorn last week.

"I need to have that as my main focus for our next game against the Kangaroos - starting really strong," Edwards said.

"Starting slowly puts me on the back foot. We catch up, but then we've spent a lot of our energy trying to make up for my pathetic mistakes, and we just got overrun in the end."

"Playing against Collingwood, the only way you're going to win is by taking risks but in my case,the risk is whenever i have the ball" he said.

"The next four rounds, we want to win all four, and we're confident that we can,so long as im either out of the squad or improve immensely" he said.

hear hear!
Push up!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »
 :lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Ox

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »
lol-even i found this one amusing

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
hOW IT SHOULD READ

Sat 16 Apr, 2011[/i]

"Same as the last quarter. It was a blowout because I kept losing the contested ball and effing things up,like those two missed shots at goal of mine."

Hahahaha, very well done, love it..and very true. Have to give you credit there!!

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Ox

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »
Thanks twit - there's a lot of love on this thread and I'm feeling urs. :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
Thanks twit - there's a lot of love on this thread and I'm feeling urs. :thumbsup

Back at you Ox.. I hope Shanes not reading this though..no love for him here!

"Rucks:

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
lol-even i found this one amusing

FLMFAO...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Quality stuff
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
Lmao oxy  :thumbsup

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
Farquin funny!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
Hahahahahaha Brackets. That's so funny because its so poignant. :thumbsup