Author Topic: Tigers to get a crash course in the art of goalkicking  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Tigers to get a crash course in the art of goalkicking
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 09:40:17 AM »
how timely.

me and a mate were joking the other day that Richo should try drop or place kicking when taking a set shot for goal.

and before you start cacking yourselves, hey nothing else has ever worked has it?

I think a place kick would would be ok for richo as he doesnt have to worry about the drop of the ball, just the point of the ball to connect with, then boom off it goes.

The only trouble is i wouldnt bother, cause its too late in Richos case but it could be something to look at down the track say if someone else (esp rievwolt cause its his drop to the foot which is affecting his kick) needs to TRY something different.

Won't happen but sheesh would'nt it be great to see it once from todays game, just once will do. Probobly get a spray from the coach but hey, it'll be front page news next day.

I can see it now, Richo marks 10mtres out dead in front, goes back and drop kicks one through  :o  ;D   

What about the time clock.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 09:43:57 AM »
The last person I saw using the place kick was Jack Graham (South Melbourne).

When he took a mark within kicking distance the crowd would yell 'stick it on the carpet Jack"

Moi

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 10:19:03 AM »

When he took a mark within kicking distance the crowd would yell 'stick it on the carpet Jack"

Think Tony Ongarello (Fitz) would have been the last one - can't confirm for sure, but i think I've heard people say he was the last one to use the place kick.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »
A place kick is no good for Richo as the big fella always has the urge to play on after a mark inside 50 no matter how many times Terry tells him not to ;).

What about the time clock.

Thanks to Lloyd we now have this stupid rule  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 03:59:21 PM »
Salmon too

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 07:01:34 PM »
Salmon too

What a shocker he was - putting the bloody ball between his legs, pulling up his socks and tucking himself in :chuck

I can only remember one time when the umpires actaully blew the whistle for the clock to stop while this bloke went through his routine
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 07:56:26 PM »
and fev!

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 09:08:08 AM »

Think Tony Ongarello (Fitz) would have been the last one - can't confirm for sure, but i think I've heard people say he was the last one to use the place kick.

Yuo are probably right moi I am talking 1946

Moi

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 09:20:53 AM »
Thought i'd look up and see if there was any info to see if he was the last person in my footy encyclopaedia, but doesn't say he was.  But here's a couple of excerpts:

On Ongarello:  "A talented forward who had a rough initiation to league football when he faced up to Richmond's Mopsy Fraser".

Who didn't - must have been a real crazy man, our Mopsy  :rollin

And:  "Ongarello wasn't a reliable kick and even sought relief in the form of using place kicks in an attempt to improve his accuracy".

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 04:28:36 PM »
Thought i'd look up and see if there was any info to see if he was the last person in my footy encyclopaedia, but doesn't say he was.  But here's a couple of excerpts:

On Ongarello:  "A talented forward who had a rough initiation to league football when he faced up to Richmond's Mopsy Fraser".

Who didn't - must have been a real crazy man, our Mopsy  :rollin

And:  "Ongarello wasn't a reliable kick and even sought relief in the form of using place kicks in an attempt to improve his accuracy".

No Mopsy was not crazy it was just that he got the poos when sledged and the other sides knew this and played on the fact.

Jonathan Brown and Barry Hall are modern day Mopsys but todays coaches are more versed in anger management.

Jack Dyer was Mopsy's coach and he did not mind letting the opposition know he was around either.

They were both 'Tigers'.

Oh! by the way Moi, Mopsy was a real gentleman when women were around and would stand no nonsence towards them.