Author Topic: Punt Road Oval  (Read 1174 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Punt Road Oval
« on: February 01, 2005, 04:17:21 PM »
Another spin off from the Oz Open was charging fans who want to watch sport and soak up the atmosphere with others cheap entry into the Melbourne Park grounds to watch the final on the big screen even though they couldn't get a ticket inside Rod Laver Arena. Did we do something similar at Punt Road with the Port fans last year or was that just after the GF? Not a bad way to earn some extra $ for the RFC as we're right next to the 'G although Tiger fans mightn't like foreign hoardes entering onto the sacred turf.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Punt Road Oval
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 09:21:49 AM »
I know a few years back they set something up but it rained so much there was very little turnout. Might have been Brisbanes first ?

Dont know if they gave up becuase of this or not

I usually get to the G on GF day being mcc memer but missed it this year due to work - While going around the tan that night heard a fair bit of noise coming from over that way.

I think it would be a good idea to try again especially when you have real football teams in the GF (No offence to Brisbane but it aint no footy town is it)

Any $$$$ for Richmond has got to be a good thing. If it was set up right it could be a good money spinner and become part of GF tradition.

One thing would be to make sure All the buildings are closed off and security monitors the buildings. (I know what I did when I went into the Poowood SC once - not a pretty sight)  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 02:59:27 PM »
I agree CUB. If it could be made into a GF tradition then I think it would work no matter who made GF.

If we were to do it we would need to get a move on with Eddie and co now across at Olympic Park. He ain't slow and shy when it comes to making a quid for the them.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 03:24:26 PM »
I agree CUB. If it could be made into a GF tradition then I think it would work no matter who made GF.

If we were to do it we would need to get a move on with Eddie and co now across at Olympic Park. He ain't slow and shy when it comes to making a quid for the them.

A great idea to $$ for the Club but it comes at a cost.

The Family Day that we always used to have on the Sunday after the Grand Final, and was supposed to be re-introduced in 2004 - had to be cancelled because of the "festivities".

It's different when an Interstate premiership winning team has a Melb base (eg Brisbane and Brunswick st) but Port used Punt road on the Sunday - hence "our' day had to be cancelled and I know a number of people who were disappointed

It's a toughie :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 05:34:05 PM »
The Family Day that we always used to have on the Sunday after the Grand Final, and was supposed to be re-introduced in 2004 - had to be cancelled because of the "festivities".

Why was it originally changed? I've forgotten.

Could it be as simple as having the Family Day the following Sunday so we can have our cake and eat it too?