Author Topic: Changes for next week's game against Brisbane?  (Read 5133 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Changes for next week's game against Brisbane?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »
Tucky is a hard ball/contested machine - no doubt. But there is a reason why he has not been played up until now - he is not a great user of the ball, not a good decision maker and does not provide run and carry. We all love his strength around stoppages but if he hands it straight back to the opposition then it is a waste.

I agree that Tucky is an ideal sub to replace an injuries or underperforming player during the game but I don't think he is a great tactical choice. It seems most clubs are using their sub to add additional run into their exhausted side in the later portion of the game. Last night we won the game because North were dead on their feet. Against another, fitter side, I wonder if subbing on Tuck may have been been a tactical problem.  ??? Tuck would be better used on the field early where he can win the contested ball and feed it out to our better ball users. The old Tucky 'slap the ball on the foot to gain ground without even looking' just doesn't cut the mustard any longer imho. Perhaps he could win the ball for us early in a game only to later make way for a better runner.

I think I've joined the Gus detractors after last nights efforts. I felt the coaches didn't do him any favours last night by leaving him one out as our only ruck option once Vickery was subbed off. Gus just doesn't have the endurance to run out a game. In every game I've seen this year he seems exhausted. Another problem for mine was his ruck work. He kept playing the man all night, jumping early and sometimes not even looking at the ball. When he did he did suprizingly well. Even around the ground he gave away far too many frees. Even the compentators were stating that if another option was avaiable Gus would not be playing. Even though he will be as raw as they come, either one of Browne or Derickx (if fit) should be given a go.

Nason looks out of his league - too slight and didn't provide any pace or run last night. Doesn't get into the right position to win the ball.

Jackson was stupid, plain and simple. Why he decided to throw his elbow back when the game was almost done is beyond me. Out for 4 weeks given his poor record.

For mine -

Out - Jackson, Nason, Gus

In - Helbig, Webberly, Browne

The biggest problem Jackson ommision will cause is the lack of an extra tagger. Both White and Jackson have been tagging at different stages this year so White will definitely tag someone next game (Black perhaps) but not to the same degree Jackson would have. If we need another player to do a shadow role on an oppsition player it start to hurt our attack meaning someone such as Grigg would need to undertake the role.

As bad as Gus has been the rest of the ruck options have been equally embarrassing so he will probably stay due to lack of choices rather than form. I'd love to see Browne get a game but it's a huge risk. Vickery would have to step up to support him far more than normal decreasing our forward options.

Helbig should be better for the run in Coburg despite the result. I never found out, how did he go individually?

I'm also choosing Webberley without knowing his Coburg form too. Has been good/bad/indifferent? I picked Webberely because I'm looking for run and foot skills that we could use as a sub.

gerkin greg

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »
Get MCGuane out, far too slow in his decision making
And Nason, spent more time rolling around on the grass like a Pekingese with fleas than playing football
Jackson obviously

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »

Expect Tuck to be our sub for a while.

:thumbsup

Tuck is the pefect sub, was made for him.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
With Jackson about to lose some weeks, Tuck won't be a sub, which is good as you can't have someone as a permanent sub, they will lose match fitness
I do think he fits the role well though, as his lack of pace isn't an issue once the game has slowed down in the 2nd half

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »
spent more time rolling around on the grass like a Pekingese with fleas than playing football

I'm sure 65 enjoyed the moment

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
felt sorry for Nason last night
The handball from Rance in the last quarter on the outer side was suicidal.
Nason to his credit took a big hit and was slammed into the ground.
He could of pulled out of the contest but didnt :thumbsup

TigerTimeII

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »
lol unlike some

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »

yeah that happened just in front of us - heard the whack = OUCH
Tucky is a hard ball/contested machine - no doubt. But there is a reason why he has not been played up until now - he is not a great user of the ball, not a good decision maker and does not provide run and carry. We all love his strength around stoppages but if he hands it straight back to the opposition then it is a waste.

yep you're right but I don't think the reason is his decision making or disposal. If that was the criteria, half our team wouldn't have been dropped by now
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »

yep you're right but I don't think the reason is his decision making or disposal. If that was the criteria, half our team wouldn't have been dropped by now

the whack to Nason was frightening
The Mrs turned around and said, he just got killed.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:24:11 PM by Jackstar is back again »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »
the whack to Nason was frightening
The Mrs tunred around and said, he just got killed.

i was half expecting him to get with his faces in pieces like last year when Jake King accidental whacked him
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
Footy Show has our ins in the squad: Batchelor, Helbig, Astbury, Browne, Connors, Post

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »

:lol

Lack of pace to spread from a stoppage would be Tucky's main reason for not being picked in the first few rounds. He'll stay in this week with Jacko out. Both can't be in the same side every week if we are to improve.

Hopefully the footy show squad is right and Batch is back.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »
In the Mix - Richmond

Daniel Jackson will miss the clash against the Brisbane Lions through suspension. Jake Batchelor (foot) was a late withdrawal from the side that defeated North Melbourne, but should be ready to return. Andrew Browne starred in a well-beaten Coburg side while Jeromey Webberley, Mitch Morton, David Astbury and Jayden Post are also in the mix. Daniel Connors and Will Thursfield picked up injuries in the VFL.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/112427/default.aspx

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2011, 01:48:52 AM »
yeah can see us making 7 changes after a win..

batchelor
helbig
astbury
browne
Connors
6 ins at this stage. Each f those players could be in our best side by thr end of thr year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 03:52:27 AM »
Jon Anderson obviously didn't watch our game last week with Rance and McGuane playing ???

RICHMOND

INJURED: Tom Hislop (available), Kelvin Moore (test), Ben Griffiths (1-2 weeks), Daniel Connors (test), Ben Jakobi (2-3 weeks), Jamie O'Reilly (2-3 weeks), Jake Batchelor (indefinite)

SUSPENDED: Luke McGuane, Alex Rance, Daniel Jackson

ON THE BLOCK: Tyrone Vickery, Angus Graham

ON THE CUSP: Jeromey Webberley, Andrew Browne

ANDO’S FORECAST: Coach Hardwick says it’s all about development so expect to see Browne get a crack soon.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/footy-barometer-round-6/story-e6frf9jf-1226041482103