Author Topic: Intra club match Mildura articles  (Read 1966 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Intra club match Mildura articles
« on: February 04, 2005, 12:21:55 AM »
Deledio set for big role
Sportal
February 3, 2005

Richmond's number one draft pick Brett Deledio is set to play a major role in the upcoming Wizard Home Loans Cup after showing just why he was rated Australia's best teenage footballer last year during the Tigers' first 2005 hit-out in Mildura on Thursday night.

Deledio booted a goal with his first kick and more than held his own against direct opponents Joel Bowden and Greg Tivendale in the midfield as hundreds of Tigers' fans in Mildura - the city that has produced such Richmond greats as Dale Weightman, Mark Lee and Matthew Knights - relished the chance to see first-hand the Tigers' great hope for the future.

New Richmond coach Terry Wallace was delighted with Deledio's performance and has already earmarked him for far more than just a cameo role during the pre-season competition.

"I think for us to hide him (in the Wizard Cup) would be the wrong way to go about it," Wallace said.

"We have got to show him what it's all about."

"Opposition sides will target him a bit early and put him under a lot of physical pressure but we've done that to him in a couple of our own semi hit-outs ourselves just to see how he handles it and we won’t hide him from that."

Wallace said he had no doubt both Deledio and number four pick Richard Tambling - who did not play in Mildura as he was in Darwin with teammate Andrew Krakouer as part of the Aboriginal All-Stars team that will play the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night - were capable of stepping straight into the Tigers' line-up.

"I would like to think those two blokes could step straight in to getting an opportunity in the Wizard Cup and then it's up to them," he said.

"Don’t expect too much of those guys first up but what they will do is give a bit of excitement to supporters and I reckon that's what supporters are looking for after they have had a couple of difficult years."

The Tigers played just four 20 minute quarters on Thursday night but even during that time, and despite the blustery conditions, it was already noticeable their style of play had improved under Wallace.

"We tried to run and carry the ball and I thought the chip kicking I saw last year from Richmond sides - kicking sideways - was out of the game plan which I thought was a real positive," Wallace said.

While all eyes were on Deledio, it was some of the Tigers' 2004 crop of youngsters who stood out in Mildura.

Brent Hartigan, the winner of the Tigers' best first year player award last year, dominated on a wing and young defender Daniel Jackson, who played six games in 2004 as he completed Year 12, was one of the best afield across half-back while another of last year's debutants Andrew Raines also won plenty of the ball.

And some of the Tigers' veterans also looked in good nick with Matthew Richardson kicking three goals while Darren Gaspar, who endured a miserable 2004 as he come back from a knee re-construction, performed solidly in defence where at times he was matched against former Docker Troy Simmonds - who looked considerably more bulked up.

The Tigers lost Nathan Brown (hamstring tightness) and Kane Pettifer (bruised shoulder) during the game but neither injury was serious while several regulars sat out the match including Mark Chaffey, Ray Hall, Mark Coughlan, Greg Stafford, Rory Hilton and former Saint Trent Knobel.

http://www.sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=61989
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 01:08:29 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Intra club match Mildura articles
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 01:07:23 AM »
Tigers look to draftees to step up
By Melissa Ryan
Mildura
February 4, 2005

Richmond will not hesitate to throw gun No. 1 draft pick Brett Deledio into the thick of the midfield action during the Wizard Cup, with the exciting young midfielder producing moments of brilliance during the Tigers' intra-club match at Sarah Oval yesterday.

Deledio delighted the crowd of around 1000 by booting a goal with his first kick in the first quarter. Playing out of the centre, the 17-year-old also won the ball out of the middle - one-handed on one occasion - and sent some thumping kicks in blustery conditions, spearing one pass to Matthew Richardson, who fumbled the mark but recovered to kick the first of his three goals.

But the locals missed the opportunity to see No. 4 choice Richard Tambling, who is in Darwin with Andrew Krakouer to be part of the Aboriginal All-Stars team to play the Western Bulldogs tomorrow night.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace was pleased the club could have a hit-out even though the wind wrought havoc - "back home in Melbourne we would have had to call it off" - and said Deledio would not be hidden from the hard contests during the Wizard Cup, with the first match against Collingwood on February 18.

"I've said for the last two or three weeks that (Deledio) and Richard Tambling would have the ability to be able to play at the next level," Wallace said. "Richard's playing in the indigenous game in Darwin. I'd like to think those two blokes would step straight into getting the opportunity at Wizard Cup, and it's up to them.

"I think you'd roll (Deledio) through there (in the midfield). A player like that will start his career on the outside of the action but the better players will step up and he's a quality player. I think for us to hide him would be the wrong way to go about it. I think we've got to show him what it's all about.

"Opposition players are going to tag him a little bit early and put him under physical pressure; we've done that in a couple of our own semi hit-outs ourselves so we won't hide him from that."

Others to shine in the match included big man Troy Simmonds and second-year players Brent Hartigan, Daniel Jackson and Andrew Raines, who all won plenty of the ball.

Nathan Brown came off after a few minutes with hamstring tightness, while Kayne Pettifer took a knock to the shoulder. Sitting out the game was Rory Hilton, Mark Chaffey, Greg Stafford, Trent Knobel, Ray Hall and Mark Coughlan, who is making a steady recovery from the osteitis pubis that limited him to only seven matches last year.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/02/03/1107409985162.html?oneclick=true

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 01:11:47 AM »
Deledio does enough to excite Tigers
04 February 2005   
Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

RICHMOND'S prized draft pick Brett Deledio was yesterday guaranteed a Wizard Cup start against Collingwood, then went about vindicating that faith in front of the Tiger army.

In his first major hitout in Richmond colours, the No. 1 selection effortlessly slotted into the Tiger midfield, collecting possessions at will in the club's intra-club game in Mildura.

Early on he was everywhere, turning with confidence, hitting up teammates with cool precision and, at one stage, bouncing three times down the outer wing.

Coach Terry Wallace believes he and No. 4 pick Richard Tambling have shown enough to be selected in Richmond's Wizard Cup opener against the Pies.

Deledio and a host of Tiger youngsters may have pushed Wizard Cup claims, but it was man mountain Troy Simmonds who took control of Richmond's scratch match.

Wallace was intent on playing his style of ball-carrying, direct football despite the howling crosswinds.

While skills suffered as a result, 103kg Fremantle recruit Simmonds looked a class above the rest, both up forward with his marking and with his deft tapwork in the ruck.

Brent Hartigan shrugged off a mild case of osteitis pubis to dominate through the midfield, while fellow second-year player Daniel Jackson constantly burst off half-back with pace and purpose.

Nathan Brown (hamstring tightness) and Kayne Pettifer (shoulder jarring) left the field early, but were later cleared of serious injuries.

Wallace said both Deledio and Tambling – absent for Saturday's Aboriginal All-Star game – deserved to be given their chance in the Wizard Cup.

"I have probably thought for the past two or three weeks that both (Deledio) and Richard Tambling would have the ability to be able to play at the next level," Wallace said.

"Deledio in the first half, in particular, had a real good hitout and played very well.

"I thought Daniel Jackson played well as the game went on, Andrew Raines was very good on a wing and then even some of the older blokes. I thought Darren Gaspar was starting to get a little bit of form back and Wayne Campbell, going in and out of the forward line, showed form as well."

Forward Matthew Richardson tuned up for a season further out from goal by leading new centre half-back Jay Schulz a merry dance with three goals.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12145077%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 02:56:41 AM »
Although it was only a intra-club match and we haven't seen us against real opposition yet it's still great to hear the young blokes like Jackson, Raines and Hartigan coming along nicely. Johnson will need help in the midfield especially with Cogs rightly taking it slowly. Interestingly it was the newbies (both young and experienced) that got most the wraps. I guess they hadn't been spudified ;).

Hope we now as supporters don't put expectations on Deledio to star from his first game. He hasn't played a senior game yet!

Sarge still sounds like he's on steep learning curve at CHB. Our backline is a worry.

Hopefully the weather will be stiller at Vic Park next week so there's no excuses for skill errors and we can see how much we've improved.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 03:20:32 AM »
A lot of posiives coming out of the tigers in the media again.  Great to see that we are getting some good press.

I am yet to see Lids play, but it sounds like he has all the makings to be a gun.

Bring on the Dogs game to see Tambo running around!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 10:13:58 AM »
Intra-Club match played in Mildura – 3 February 2005.

TW was on 3AW after the game yesterday.

The two coaches for the game were David Wheadon and Gordon Casey.

DW’s team won by 4 points

Joel Bowden and Nathan Brown were the Captains.  (Did not say who the winning Captain was).

Deledio – playing as a RR, was outstanding, especially in the first half when the pressure was on.

Tambling and Krakouer did not play.  Flew out for the Aboriginal All Star team match on the weekend.

About 6 players did not play, due to injury, who have been mentioned in the press.

Richo played CHF

Simmonds played in the ruck and spent time up forward.

Hartigan had a back pocket role.

Gaspar – impressed with his effort, considering the pressure he was under last season for his form.

There was no chipping by any player.  Played a take ‘em on, free flowing style.  A good standard to watch.

Other topics discussed:

Top 8 – We are more interested in putting systems and structures in place and have progressive improvement over a few years, rather than instant success.

Priority at this stage is to be competitive.

Wizard Cup – Deledio and Tambling, on the form they have shown to now look as though they will play the first game of the pre-season comp.

Captaincy – TW will only see the players in contention in 4 games before the selection is made.  The Captain chosen for this year will not necessarily have the role beyond this season.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 10:30:49 AM »
Good signs all round. 

Good to see Deledio, Jackson, Hartigan and Raines playing well.  From what I have seen I am pretty much certain that these 4 along with Tambling will become great players and along with Coughlan will be our core midfield group for the future.  They just need to continue the steady progress they have been showing and the likes of Roach, Gilmour, Archibald, Foley, Meyer, Polo, Pattison, McGuane, Limbach, Thursfield etc. can aspire to catch up.  It's great seeing kids coming through at the same time together. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Ox

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:19:27 PM »
Pure bull chit that they have an indigenous team with seperate rules.
Imagine if we had a team and only whites were allowed to play - what a crock.

LMAOOO@Deledio thumping Bowden and Tivendale,duds !

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 12:21:17 PM »
It's great seeing kids coming through at the same time together.

Agree with that Harry. :thumbsup  It’s been a while since we’ve had a big group of young players coming through at the one time.  And it just makes such a difference to be able to see that we’re doing more than just hoping we’re going to be successful.  And that we’re now actually planning to become successful.

We’ve got a long way to go, we know that, but if we’re patient, and can maintain a stable club environment, it will at least give players coming through now a better chance at success than at any time in the recent past.

And if we do that then it’s up to the players to do the rest and, down the track, they won’t be able to use the excuse that they didn’t have the opportunity players at other Clubs have.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 12:38:58 PM »

The two coaches for the game were David Wheadon and Gordon Casey.

anyone got any idea who Gordon Casey is ???

Pretty sure Tezza said Hookey playeda bit on the wing as well

There was no chipping by any player.  Played a take ‘em on, free flowing style.  A good standard to watch.

Hell-lay-loo-ya :bow :bow ;D :thumbsup

I am sold :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 01:31:39 PM »

Pretty sure Tezza said Hookey playeda bit on the wing as well

Er…I think I was meant to change that bit WP, coz I may have missed a few important key words at the time. :P  I think what TW may have actually said was that last year Hartigan mainly played back pocket, but was given a go on the wing yesterday.  Or at least I hope I've got it right now. :help

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 03:48:14 PM »
anyone got any idea who Gordon Casey is ???

Apparently played with Footscray in the 70's and coached in the Western Region FL. I think he helped out Wallace at the Dogs as well.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 04:06:36 AM »
From "Everyone's a February champion"
February 5, 2005
MELISSA RYAN
The Age

RICHMOND

Where: Mildura

Link: In the Tigers’ former zone, Mildura has produced long-serving ruckman Mark Lee and revered rover Dale Weightman.

When: Tuesday-Friday

What they did:
On Tuesday, after arriving early, the day hotted up to a typical 39 degrees, as the Tigers went about the business of autograph-signing and a civic reception. At 5.30pm, the club had an hour-long training session. The next day, the group headed to the Mildura Mall for “Breakfast with the Stars”, then back to Sarah Oval to host Auskick clinics. Joel Bowden, in particular, was king of the kids. David Rodan, Brent Hartigan, Danny Meyer and Luke McGuane visited Irymple Secondary College in the afternoon, while the senior players had a weights and swim session. In the evening, the club hosted its community forum. On Thursday, Matthew Richardson and Mark Coughlan enjoyed a spot of lawn bowls after attending a seminar for older people about driving issues. An intra-club practice match was held in the afternoon.

The mood:
Very enthusiastic for a side that lost its last 14 games in 2004. The excitement generated by the recruits — both young and recycled — as well as the complete overhaul in football staff and pre-season regime is evident.

The eye-catchers:
Troy Simmonds cuts an imposing figure, weighing in at 103 kilograms, while No. 1 draft pick Brett Deledio showed off the skill that made him the choice of the land during the first half of the intraclub match on Thursday.

Something different:
 Apparently, Chris Hyde has been keen to make sure his teammates don’t forget that he finished fifth in the club’s best-and-fairest last year. The dust storm that swept in during Tuesday’s twilight training session also raised more than a few eyebrows — as well as clogging noses and dirty mouths.

Club comment:
Terry Wallace — “We’ve done a lot of work and I think we’ve improved a lot in certain areas, but there’s still a heck of a lot to be done. Let’s not forget we’re coming off 16th place, so we’ve got a lot of ground to make up.”

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/02/05/1107476813285.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 04:09:56 AM by mightytiges »