Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden dead  (Read 1959 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Osama Bin Laden dead
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: THE world's most wanted terrorist, Osama Bin Laden, is dead.

The news came shortly after the White House announced an unscheduled press conference for 10:30pm ET by President Barack Obama.

The subject of the president's statement -- which was then delayed -- was not announced, but FOX reported that "multiple sources" have confirmed the terror leader, behind the 9/11 attacks and many other plots, is dead.

He was killed a week ago by a US bomb, FOX reported.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/osama-bin-laden-is-dead-white-house-confirms/story-e6frf7jo-1226048336052

gerkin greg

Re: Osama Bin Laden dead
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »
No way I just saw him at Marrickville Road Macca's with Elvis. They both had the nuggets.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »
US president Barack Obama has confirmed the United States has conducted an operation in which Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed.
Mr Obama made the statement during an address broadcast around the world earlier this afternoon.
"The United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of Al Qaeda - a terrorist who is responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women and children," he said.

The confirmation follows widespread media reports that bin Laden was killed in a mansion outside Pakistan's capital Islamabad last week.
Mr Obama said he was briefed last August on a lead that bin Laden was hiding inside "a compound deep inside Pakistan".
"Last week [it was] determined we had enough information to attack the compound," he said.
"Today at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad in Pakistan.
"A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body."
No Americans or civilians were injured during in the mission, Mr Obama said.
US officials said the operation that killed bin Laden lasted less than 40 minutes and also left three other men and a woman dead, including a son of the Al Qaeda chief.
Two of the men worked as couriers for bin Laden and the third was believed to be an adult son of bin Laden, the official said.

"One woman was killed when she was used as a shield by a male combatant. Two other women were injured," the official added.
Early reports said bin Laden had been killed along with 20 other people.
"The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our effort to defeat Al Qaeda," Mr Obama said.
"Tonight is a testament to the greatness of our country... we are reminded that America can do whatever we set our minds to."
The 54-year-old Saudi had been the most wanted man in the world since 2001 when he helped orchestrate the September 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.
"It was nearly 10 years ago that a bright September day was darkened by an attack on the American people," Mr Obama said.
"Nearly 3,000 citizens were taken from us, leaving a gaping hole in our hearts.
"We reaffirmed our ties to each other, our love of community and country.
"We were united as one American family.
"We were also united in our resolve to protect our nation... we went to war against Al Qaeda.
"The American people did not choose this fight. It came to our shores and started with the senseless slaughter of our citizens."
Mr Obama reaffirmed the US was not at war with Islam.
"Bin Laden was not a Muslim leader; he killed scores of Muslims."
Mr Obama said he had a message for the families of the victims of the September 11 attacks.
"We have never forgotten your loss nor wavered in our commitment to do whatever it takes to prevent further attacks on our shores," he said.
The killing of bin Laden is a major accomplishment for Mr Obama and his national security team, fulfilling the goal once voiced by Mr Obama's predecessor, George W Bush, to bring bin Laden to justice.
Mr Bush, who was in office at the time of the September 11 attacks and famously said he wanted bin Laden dead or alive, said his death was a "momentous achievement".
"The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done," Mr Bush said in a statement.
US soldiers and Afghan militia forces launched a large-scale assault on the Tora Bora mountains after the attacks in pursuit of bin Laden.
The trail quickly went cold after he disappeared and many intelligence officials believed he had been hiding in Pakistan.
While in hiding, bin Laden had taunted the West and advocated his militant Islamist views in videotapes spirited from his hideaway.
Besides September 11, the US has also linked bin Laden to a string of attacks, including the 1998 bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania and the 2000 bombing of the warship USS Cole in Yemen.
The death of bin Laden will raise huge questions about the future shape of Al Qaeda and also have steep implications for US security and foreign policy 10 years into a global anti-terror campaign.
It will also raise fears that the United States and its allies will face retaliation from supporters of bin Laden and other Islamic extremist groups.
Chants of "USA, USA" rang out from tourists outside the White House as reports of bin Laden's death sent an electric charge through Washington.
A large group of people gathered outside the fence of the presidential mansion sung the US national anthem and started shouting and cheering.
Despite the decade that has elapsed since the September 11 attacks, the event, one of the most traumatic in US history, still stirs raw emotions, and bin Laden's demise will be celebrated across the United States.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/02/3205331.htm?site=melbourne

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:48:36 PM »
It wouldve been better If he went to trial.

I don't like the celebrations in the US.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »
It wouldve been better If he went to trial.

I don't like the celebrations in the US.

Agreed. I don't like the celebrations by Australian political leaders either.
Both sides are saying justice has been done. But this is not the way we do justice in Aust. These comments may also fuel some fires out around the Coburg/Broadmeadows way.

I found the video of Saddam Hussein being hung a little tasteless and crass. Having said that, if the USA doesn't produce a video of a dead Bin Laden, this story might linger for a while. There are rumours that he has been dead for years.
He may also be smoking a hookah on Sydney Rd as we speak. 

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
Celebrations! Why? Glad he is dead but I personally wouldn't be going out in the street and carrying on about it, kinda makes em look as bad as the extremists and will just egg them on more seeing that sort of carry on response.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »
Agree with all comments. The cheering of US citizens reminded me of the way those countries carry on when one of their leaders die.

Happy they caught him not happy that he got off scott free and being killed is getting off scott free. He is seen as some kind of sick martyr now and its wrong.

That being said for all we know some of those cheering were relatives of the deceased and if i were in their shoes id more than likely be doing the same thing

Also who knows if they tried to grab him alive but failed.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »
Happy they caught him not happy that he got off scott free and being killed is getting off scott free. He is seen as some kind of sick martyr now and its wrong.

Sadly daniel he was always going to be looked upon as a martyr whether they killed him or caught him and then tried and executed him.

I heard on the news while driving home that they were saying that his body was shown on Pakistani TV.

Relieved the world's finally rid of him but not sure what the ramifications are going to be; don't think it will stop Al Qaeda

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 09:33:19 PM »
He is pure evil no doubt but i would rather have seen him pay and suffer like the families that he has hurt did.

The one good thing i can see is how much it has brought together a whole city and country in some way.

I was there in May 02 and we were touched by stories of how people were helping complete strangers.

This was the best thing to come of this piece of scum. These guys are close to some of the nicest ive ever met.

FNM

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »
Agree with all comments. The cheering of US citizens reminded me of the way those countries carry on when one of their leaders die.

That being said for all we know some of those cheering were relatives of the deceased and if i were in their shoes id more than likely be doing the same thing

Also who knows if they tried to grab him alive but failed.
:thumbsup
I didn't exactly do a highland jig, but glad he's been fed to the sharks

FNM

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:12:36 PM »
Elton John has been asked to play at Osama Bin Ladens funeral. He is going to play " Sandals in the Bin"  :thumbsup

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »
His body allegedly dumped in sea by authrorites

I dont know why they would do that to be honest

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 10:57:13 PM »
His body should be fed to pigs
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 11:39:52 PM »
He is pure evil no doubt but i would rather have seen him pay and suffer like the families that he has hurt did.

The one good thing i can see is how much it has brought together a whole city and country in some way.

I was there in May 02 and we were touched by stories of how people were helping complete strangers.

This was the best thing to come of this piece of scum. These guys are close to some of the nicest ive ever met.

I agree. When I went to the US I was amazed by how friendly and hospitable
they were, I wasn't expecting it.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 12:44:12 AM »
Good riddance! Now they need to find and go after Al Qaeda's No.2 man Al Zawahiri.

Elton John has been asked to play at Osama Bin Ladens funeral. He is going to play " Sandals in the Bin"  :thumbsup
;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd