Author Topic: Tigers vs Freo game thread  (Read 52559 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers vs Freo game thread
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
The bookies have Freo as favourites for our Saturday twilight game:

Richmond    $2.25
Fremantle   $1.60

By the way all children under 15 get in for free this week provided you get a free ticket from the Club (see link below).

Free for Freo at the G

Richmond is putting the free in Fremantle for this Saturday’s Round 7 twilight clash with the Dockers at the MCG.

All children aged under 15 years will enter the ‘G’ for free, to see the Tigers strive for a hat-trick of wins.

This is a great opportunity for junior Richmond members to bring their friends along to watch exciting Tiger cubs such as Martin, Cotchin and Riewoldt in action against the well-performed Dockers.

To obtain your free tickets for Saturday’s match, click here
http://membership.richmondfc.com.au/childfreeentryround7.html

Please note that tickets must be organised, in advance, through the Club.

Free entry will not be permitted unless you have a valid ticket.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/112845/default.aspx

gerkin greg

Re: Tigers vs Freo game thread
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
Can take the wife for free  :cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
MCG expecting a crowd of 35k

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Upcoming%20Events/Event%20Details.aspx?eid=241fbe49-21e9-4c83-8191-c66edbc1648a

Our record crowd against Freo in Melbourne is just 26k (back in 95). The overall record between the two clubs is 38k at Subi last year. Maybe a chance for us to break that record on Saturday.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »
Skunks got the record 34,416. Would it not be a BLAST if we could knock that off? Would definatley help the boys too.
I'll say 29,000

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »

Lol.  :lol

You ol' dog you...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
MCG expecting a crowd of 35k

Reckon that number sounds about right 35-40k for a twilight game
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:59:59 AM »
This is something I have been struggling with for a while

"How Good are Freo"

We all know the top 4 or 6 clubs but honestly where do this team fit in the scheme of things.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »
IMO only, I believe freo to be the sleeper. I dont know about premiership this year But I wouldnt rule them out of top 3-4 clubs. :-\ and anything can happen in september as we have seen many times before. But it is still a long way till then.

We must bring our most consistent game this year to beat them  :gotigers
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
Freo is coming off the bye and so far most clubs have struggled after they have had the bye. Only the Eagles have won after a bye and they were playing Melbourne who were also coming off the bye.

Our record against them at the 'G is very good also and we beat them last year with a very young side...

Fremantle has beaten Richmond at the MCG just once in seven attempts, losing its last match against the Tigers, at Etihad Stadium, by 19 points in round 15 last season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/112910/default.aspx

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »
This is something I have been struggling with for a while

"How Good are Freo"

Depends if the 'Subiaco' freo turns up...

tony_montana

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »

dirty peep  :lol

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
Can the Tigers translate their form in beating two bottom-four teams into a clash against higher-class opposition? Winning against the Lions and the Kangaroos is one thing - overcoming Fremantle is quite another.

How will Freo handle coming off the bye? It's already caught a few teams out this week and the mental lapse of a week off might be exacerbated by a road trip to Melbourne.

PREDICTION
Fremantle by 18 points

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=112968
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »
Freo coach Mark Harvey commenting on us and the upcoming game today....

Fremantle sit fourth on the table following a promising start to the season, but will face a stiff test against the Tigers, who have posted wins over North Melbourne and Brisbane in the past fortnight.

Despite Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt booting a league-best 21 goals this season, Harvey was unsure exactly what role the defending Coleman Medallist would be given this week.

"It's interesting when you listen to (Tigers coach) Damien (Hardwick) speak sometimes. It doesn't always necessarily look like he wants him (Riewoldt) down there being the prominent full-forward," Harvey said.

"I guess they grapple with that all the time.

"I'm just saying it's just interesting listening to Damien over the last four or five weeks, depending on whether they win or lose, what he actually says.

"Two weeks ago, they had him running off the wing early in the game like Buddy Franklin, so you make up your own mind."

Luke McPharlin, Antoni Grover or Michael Johnson will get the job on Riewoldt, but Harvey refused to say which one will get first crack.

The Dockers have lost their past seven matches at the MCG, but Harvey is unfazed by that record.

http://www.sheppnews.com.au/aapArticle.aspx?aapID=16910

Harvey is ... wary of a Tigers side that is starting to find some rhythm after two consecutive wins.

“They haven’t got a lot of injuries at the moment,” he said. “They’re running into some good form and they shouldn’t be underestimated by anyone that plays them.

“And I think they’re performances, particularly over the last month, they’ve been in and around (and) you’ve got a midfield and you’ve got a kingpin down there that’s adding up to them being a lot better team.

“If the supply (to key forward Jack Riewoldt) is pressured, than that’s what we’d like.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/dockers-coach-mark-harvey-tired-of-hearing-talk-about-hoodoos/story-e6frg1xu-1226049888772

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 06:09:51 PM »
A preview through the Perth media's eyes....

Richmond v Fremantle Preview
Will Brodie
West Australian
May 5, 2011

Two seasons of impressive form have changed the perception of the Fremantle Dockers. Now, we expect them to be dogged, not enigmatic; composed, instead of flighty; and we expect them to embrace being favourites, even when they are on the road.

The Dockers have struggled to beat Richmond anywhere of late, and have lost their last seven straight at the MCG. And the Tigers are as buoyant after consecutive wins, the last of which was an impressive effort to withstand a concerted effort from the spirited Lions.

But the reason the Dockers are better regarded nowadays will be the same reason they will win this match - depth of class.

It has taken a while, but now the footy world recognises that Aaron Sandilands, Matthew Pavlich, David Mundy, Stephen Hill, Greg Broughton, Paul Duffield, Nathan Fyfe, Hayden Ballantyne and Chris Mayne represent a high quality core of Fremantle talent. Add to that dedicated role players such as Matthew de Boer, Jay Van Berlo, Ryan Crowley and Kepler Bradley and you have a team that is very hard to beat.

Richmond is also developing an elite core. In Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin, Nathan Foley, and Dustin Martin the Tigers are gradually assembling an imposing midfield, and the Tigers possess the most exciting key forward talent in the competition in Jack Riewoldt (21 goals). Richmond is a dangerous team if they repeatedly win centre clearances, or are given easy passage from defence. They can score goals in quick succession against the best opposition if not heavily pressured.

With Matthew Pavlich spending much of his time on the ball, Fremantle lacks a tall target with anywhere near Riewoldt's ability. Utility and back-up ruckman Kepler Bradley has been their best tall target up front - small-to-medium sized forwardds Mayne, Ballantyne, McPhee and the midfielders have tipped in the goals.

It is depth of talent that makes the Dockers favourites in this match. The Dockers defence is more stout, with the experience of Michael Johnson and Antoni Grover in key positions supporting the rebounding creativity of Broughton, Duffield, and Roberton. In the secondary midfield rotations, the Dockers can throw in the experienced Garrick Ibbotson, former Rising Star Rhys Palmer and mature aged recruit Nick Lower. For versatility, the Dockers have Ryan Crowley, de Boer and Van Berlo, who can play in defence, in tagging roles or as defensive forwards. The Dockers also look to have more genuine forward options, with Ballantyne, Mayne, McPhee, and Pavlich more genuine targets than their Richmond counterparts.

Richmond have shown great spirit, and better organisation, to win its past two against stragglers the Lions and Kangaroos. They are getting fine service from robust on-baller Dustin Martin (averaging 26 disposals), who appears almost untaggable, and dynamic forward Jack Riewoldt. And importantly for the future of Richmond, some lesser lights are finding ways to contribute more consistently. Derided angry little man Jake King (11 goals, 18 tackles) is revelling in his role as a defensive small forward, and utility Alex Rance has played his best football for the club this year, settled in key roles in defence. Last week he snared 11 marks and had the ball 20 times.

Against stronger, better drilled teams however, Richmond becomes reliant on its stars, not all of whom are as consistent throughout a game as their reputations would suggest.

The primary midfields here are well-matched, and this should be a close match. But apart from its edge in depth, Fremantle has the other trump card in this game. Aaron Sandilands. The biggest of the league's big men will give his on-ballers an armchair ride.

In a 'danger game' for the Dockers, their greater spread of talent, and the Sandilands factor, should tip the game in Fremantle's favour.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-preview/richmond-v-fremantle-20110503-1e5xk.html#ixzz1LMwcaG79

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
Jackson on Mundy
White on Hill
Deledio on Fyfe
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do