Author Topic: Tagging role - Chaffey vs Hyde  (Read 2370 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tagging role - Chaffey vs Hyde
« on: February 09, 2005, 03:29:34 AM »
Who do you think will eventually be our best tagger or run with player out of Chaffey and Hyde?

The best run with players like Ling, Licuria and Lappin (in some respects) win as much and in some instances more footy than the opponent they are minding. Can Chaffey or Hyde eventually do this? Hard to see it on past form but we have Wallace now so it's a fresh chance for everyone. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tagging role - Chaffey vs Hyde
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 04:53:38 AM »
I would say both are options. 

I am looking forward to one Daniel Jackson taking on this role in the future at some point as well

He is learning his footy smarts. 

I have heard reports of his excellent close checking, reading of the play and guts.

Hope he has a consistant year

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »
I think Hyde showed last year that he is well suited to this role. He manages to stay focussed and when he did win the ball his decision making was much better than Chaff's. Hyde is also one of the few players that teh Tiges had that was unafraid to have a shot at goal if the opportunity presented itself.

I see Jackson as a future Michael Voss...just the way he already goes about his footy is very encouraging. I think along with Cogs and Tambling he's a future leader at the club.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 03:55:28 PM »
I think both are somewhat ill-suited to tagging.

Chaffey is rather slow off the mark and probably has question marks over him running out a whole game in a tagging role. There's also the fact that he has never been very good at sharking the ball off the deck. he has enjoyed his best moments taking big marks and recieving the ball playing loose across half back.

Hyde probably has the endurance to go the distance for all four quarters but to me it looks like he lacks a bit of that mongrel and ferocity which is essential for a tagging role.

Both aren't exactly ball magnets and it is highly doubtful they will break even with their opponents in the ball winning department.

Offline zips

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 05:33:00 PM »
Chaff won't last the season as a full-time tagger.  Hyde on the other hand has improved in pace & his delivery is so much better than Chaffey's. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 05:41:48 PM »
Chaff won't last the season as a full-time tagger.  Hyde on the other hand has improved in pace & his delivery is so much better than Chaffey's. 

Spot on zips. I've never been much of a Hyde fan but if he can produce what he did today against real opposition he'll be a certainity in our best 18. Maybe he'll be Wallace's first notable success as coach in terms of confidence rebuilding.

Offline zips

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 05:35:48 PM »
Hyde just never got the opportunity.  That dud Frawley just kept him on the bench & would give him 5 minutes here, 3 minutes there.  Once he got the opportunity to play a full game, his confidence lifted & his work rate is first class.  He has realised the big opportunity is there now & has worked his arse off over summer to make sure he is a regular senior player.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 07:52:40 PM »
My only concern with both is are they quick enough?

In short bursts I think Chaffey would be slightly quicker. From an endurance perspective I'd favour Hyde.

I would lean slightly towards Chaffey as the tagger simply because Hyde showed (when give the opportunity) he can set up plays, kick goals, seems to read the play better and as has been mentioned has better disposal

As a tagger Chaffey's disposal would not be as much as an issue - his strength in the role would be his tackling which could be an advantage in pack/inside contests

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 09:47:04 PM »
My only concern with both is are they quick enough?

As zips said Hyde appears to have gained in pace. He looked surprisingly quickish out there yesterday. Maybe Wallace's emphasis on more power based training is already having some positive effect  :thumbsup.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 05:20:30 PM »
I agree MT.
He was also very confident when taking on players. I think he is more likely to be an offensive player who is tagged rather than tagging.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 12:45:53 AM »
I agree MT.
He was also very confident when taking on players. I think he is more likely to be an offensive player who is tagged rather than tagging.

Hyde - would he be the 4th or 5th selection to tag at the Tigers?

Lets see

1.  Cogs
2.  Johnson
3.  Brown/Bowden - if on the ball
4.  Deledio/Tambling
5.  Hyde/Rodan/Krak/Tivva/Raines/Roach/Newman/Campbell  :shh

Thats just how I see it.

If Hyde is getting tagged, then we may be in the 2004 predicament, where at some points he was our only decent midfielder.

I hope Hyde has a huge year and gets his share of taggers.  But I would hope the others are firing too.

That way we will be a difficult team to match up on.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 03:07:07 PM »
I think he'll jump up a couple of positions LT.
A couple of things he did in the intra club game exuded poise and confidence. Twice he was hemmed in on the boundary by 2 players right in front of me and both times he turned in and burned them off rather than taking the expected option of skirting around.
I realise it was only a practice match but you still need speed and ability to do what he did.

If he is used as a tagger I see him being similar to Josh Carr who is an attacking stopper, negating his opponent and becoming damaging himself.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott