Author Topic: No regrets selling Darwin home game: Gale (Age)  (Read 1337 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No regrets selling Darwin home game: Gale (Age)
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:53:43 AM »
Caro in today's Age....

The Tigers' journey up north - part of a three-year deal with the Northern Territory government that will reap the club $1 million by the end of 2012 - will see the in-form Tigers out of town for most of the next month.

Richmond has its first bye in round 11 and then heads to Sydney to take on the Swans over the Queen's Birthday round, followed by a return bout against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba.

Despite the strongest membership numbers in the club's history and last weekend's massive 83,000 turnout, club chief executive Brendon Gale said he had no regrets about the Darwin fixture. ''We would have played Port at Etihad and the numbers would not have been as good for us. And this is a young group who get on tremendously well on their first road trip for the season.

''I know as a player I loved road trips and I think for these guys it will be just another tremendous experience for them as a group together.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/king-deal-likely-after-regal-form-20110524-1f2ll.html#ixzz1NHVcDn6s

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: No regrets selling Darwin home game: Gale (Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:58:51 AM »
I am looking forward to this road trip myself  ;D

But 3 roadies in 4 weeks is a tough ask... thank goodness one of them is sits in the middle of Queens B/Day weekend
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »
Lovely warm days North East breezes nice time of the year up there  :cheers

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:58:27 AM »
Benny explained the financial incentives to us early in the year and how the Port Game at Ethiad would in all probability end up making very little for us at best, cost us money at worst. The trip to Darwin will make us a coll 1 mill over two years and help developing more support at the top end over this period. So while I was dubious initially I can see the short term incentive for selling the game north.

Will make for a lean month in terms of attendance though  :-\

Offline Tigermad20011

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 09:52:29 AM »
Benny explained the financial incentives to us early in the year and how the Port Game at Ethiad would in all probability end up making very little for us at best, cost us money at worst. The trip to Darwin will make us a coll 1 mill over two years and help developing more support at the top end over this period. So while I was dubious initially I can see the short term incentive for selling the game north.

Will make for a lean month in terms of attendance though  :-\
And a home game gives a big win which inturn gets us into the finals.
We win a final and make more money.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:15:37 AM »
Branding our club over the whole of Australia is important IMHO. More coverage for sponsors etc. Id like all 11 games at the MCG but we cant get that, so why not go to the Territory.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
Would much prefer a massive home ground advantage with 40,000 tigers this week, but this darwin thing should be over by next season

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
Would much prefer a massive home ground advantage with 40,000 tigers this week, but this darwin thing should be over by next season

Earliest it will be over is 2013

We must play a game there in 2012 - we have contract that we cannot get out of

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 06:51:01 PM »
Thats ok - no regrets. Yes pumping Port in front of 40k at ettihad would have been nice but that would have only netted us about 50k profit - nowhere near what we'll make playing in Darwin. We're on the road to recovery both on and off field but still have a long way to go