Author Topic: Hardwick's aftermatch media conference / Tigers to stew for two weeks  (Read 2831 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to stew for two weeks: Hardwick
By Luke Holmesby
Sun 29 May, 2011

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has refused to blame a trip to the top end of Australia as the reason his side suffered a shock loss to Port Adelaide.

The Tigers went down by 15 points after upsetting Essendon just seven days earlier.

It was their first home game in the warm, humid conditions of Darwin but Hardwick said that had nothing to do with his team's poor performance.

"You can't use where we play as an excuse for a poor effort. At the end of the day we play at a footy ground that has got four sticks at either end and the ball is round so nothing much changes," Hardwick said.

"I thought we fumbled all night. I thought they (Port Adelaide) were a lot cleaner with their disposal, their efficiency by hand and foot seemed a lot better than ours and it was uncharacteristic of our guys.

"It was a real let down, we set ourselves up for the game, we thought we came here with good preparation and didn't play anywhere near well enough."

Hardwick said the Tigers struggled to cope with Port Adelaide's relentless defensive pressure and played right into their hands.

"We call it referring pressure. We were going around in circles at one stage. A lot of that was due to Port's pressure, they out tackled us by 27 or something like that," he said.

"Their pressure around the ball was a lot better than ours and forced us into handball chains which we didn't want. We tried to rectify that, mainly in the second quarter, I think we started to get on top of it but we just couldn't capitalise on some of our chances."

The Tigers will have time to regroup after the disappointing loss with the bye next week, but Hardwick said the week off came at a bad time.

"I wish we were playing next week to be perfectly honest. We've got to stew on this loss for two weeks. We'll give the guys a couple of days off then we'll hit the training track pretty hard," he said.

"It's probably the poorest we've played for quite some time. It is disappointing and the thing that really hurts us is we've got to wait two weeks to get back and have another crack at it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/114994/default.aspx

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Don't get too close to the players dimma, we have seen it all before. That effort was all too characteristic to me. 5 weeks means nothing - this group looks good but there is a long way to go - ask the Demons
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Jackstar is back again

have to laugh, Port are a basket case and we couldnt there pressure :banghead
Maybe the club pay fork out the $$$$$ and pay for the extra night and go up earlier

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
have to laugh, Port are a basket case and we couldnt there pressure :banghead
Maybe the club pay fork out the $$$$$ and pay for the extra night and go up earlier
I was thinking that this morning Jack - take a squad of 26 or whatever up on Wednesday Morning - train them at night - send the ones you won't be selecting home on Friday

Jackstar is back again

instead we had players out late in Melbourne on a thursday night while Port trained till 10pm under lights
Port paid $$$ to go a day early and won the 4 points ( mind you Port have less money than us )
who is the basket case now ????

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
The ball is oval by the way Dimma.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I thought that too....but it doesn't change the point he trying to make.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Maybe sitting on a bad lose for 2 weeks to stew isn't that bad. Might wake up alot of supports to where we really are. Until we can work out these prone loses to teams we should beat we won't rise up the ladder very far. I've never expected to make finals this year. I'd love it if we did dont get me wrong.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
"You can't use where we play as an excuse for a poor effort. At the end of the day we play at a footy ground that has got four sticks at either end and the ball is round so nothing much changes," Hardwick said.
The problem with the argument here is about 35,000 less Richmond supporters for the opposition to deal with!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
The problem with the argument here is about 35,000 less Richmond supporters for the opposition to deal with!
Who cares, the players need to learn to win without the backing of a large crowd

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
Who cares, the players need to learn to win without the backing of a large crowd
Youre dead right! So lets learn how to win first and then sell our games to Darwin!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

Was a lot more Tiger support than Port Inf.  Trouble was, we never got going well enough to bring the crowd into it.

the claw

so we play a final at aami or scg or subiaco etc cant rely on the home crowd then either.

the claw

Maybe sitting on a bad lose for 2 weeks to stew isn't that bad. Might wake up alot of supports to where we really are. Until we can work out these prone loses to teams we should beat we won't rise up the ladder very far. I've never expected to make finals this year. I'd love it if we did dont get me wrong.
its easy to work out but most supporters dont want to hear.

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
so we play a final at aami or scg or subiaco etc cant rely on the home crowd then either.
Finals ?:lol