Author Topic: How important is Terry Wallace?  (Read 2398 times)

Bulluss

How important is Terry Wallace?
« on: February 13, 2005, 05:57:46 PM »
I watched Terry as he mingled with the crowd today and he is just such a fantastic person and PR machine for the club.

He hardly walks past someone without saying hello and shaking their hand.

He makes time for all of the kids to have a photo and sign an autograph. He leaves Danny Frawley for dead!

I think with this attitude it will help bring more people back to the club as they are always made to feel welcome.

He is a great coach as we all know but i think the off-field Terry Wallace is an extremely important part of our rise back to the top.

Thoughts?

froars

Re: How important is Terry Wallace?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 06:21:44 PM »
Anyone would leave Danny for dead, Bully.
Wallace is doing all the right things - still gotta win games and get improvement from the kids,
We haven't played a game yet, so I'll judge him after that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 08:23:22 PM »
LOL Moi

Yeah Bull from an off-field perspective he's been fantastic. You just got to look at all the positive publicity the Tiges have been getting and are getting in the media since he arrived. But as Moi said he'll be judged like all coaches on how we do on the scoreboard. Our membership tally and crowds will also depend on winning. So far it's hard to find fault in his training methods and in his management of the players.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 08:26:46 PM »
We've been here so many times before and been disappointed time and time again.
I refuse to get sucked in by all the hype - only results matter.
And that may be just little improvements - but as long as it's overall improvement and not going backwards I'll be happy.
But i do expect big things in 2006!
Wallace has got a year in my book - and if not, watch out lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 10:29:57 PM »
I watched Terry as he mingled with the crowd today and he is just such a fantastic person and PR machine for the club.

Spot on Bull :thumbsup

At training on Australia day he came up and spoke to group of supporters after training for about 15 minutes. He is always the last person ot leave the field, unlike Spud who was one of the first ::)

I know we haven't won any games but IMO opinion we have improved in area that is so important and that's in the interaction with the fans - it sells memberships. Tezza is happy to talk, sign an autograph, take a photo - so important in this day and age. And when you are coming from where the Tigers are - any positive is a step in the right direction. We all know it is going to take time but at least the bloke gives us some sort of hope that is genuine rather than the cringe factor we've had for the past few years

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 11:06:07 PM »

He makes time for all of the kids to have a photo and sign an autograph. He leaves Danny Frawley for dead!

Thoughts?

Agree Bull,

but don't forget the fact that NOBODY wanted Spuds autograph OR to shake his hand.

I'm sure he was willing at one stage -lol

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 12:08:49 AM »
personally i think all the opposition supporters r underestimating walletman and r enjoying throwing the mud a.t.m, last year he was a guest speaker at some sportsman function i was at, he is hungry 4 success and determined to succeed dont doubt that for a moment, i came away thinking geez it would b good if we could snaffle him... lo and behold that's what we did...

i think because he coached the scraggers he isnt given much cred, but i reckon underestimating one TW will be at all those opposition supporters peril...

anyone who can out coach 1 KS and come away winning has got a good football nouse on him....

im personally gonna enjoy watching TW make some interesting moves in the following years, hell i reckon he is an innovator exactly what the game needs...

and yes as for PR what else could we ask 4 considering the cliches we have had to endure during DF 5 years it will make 4 a pleasant change...

dont b surprised to c walletman miked up in the future in some tiger games, even some players for that matter while they are warming the bench, this guy thinks outside the square, which is only gonna promote the exciting brand that is the Richmond Football Club...

eatemalivein05

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 12:30:47 AM »
We'll have a better understanding of the man when we see him in a crisis. The pressure will be on from 2006 and onwards. 

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 02:46:26 AM »
pressure starts this friday nite, lets face it he is coaching the tigers now, not some down trodden team from the west...

even tho we havent been winners for such a long time,  at least consistently, again this is richmond we do expect to b winners come rain hail or shine....

thats why every other supporter hates us cause if and when we do start winning theses pricks from other clubs wont hear the end of it....

so the pressure is always gonna b on 1 TW....

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 01:02:48 PM »
We'll have a better understanding of the man when we see him in a crisis.

Even though we won’t really know until we go through it, I’m prepared to stick my neck out and say that even if, or should I say when, we go through a crisis, it’ll be handled a lot differently than in the past.

Don’t see TW being the type to develop a siege mentality, so I don’t expect to see the whole place become a bunker if things go pear shaped, as we’ve seen in the past.

When you’re losing, morale and confidence suffer, which is what happened the last few seasons.  But the coaching staff wasn’t able to change that and so the team was left to drift until things suddenly turned around.  Which they never did of course, because no one led from the front and took control of the situation.

Just because of the different personalities and approach by the current coaching staff, and the impact they have on the players, that’s an area I think we should be able to handle better now.  It couldn’t possibly be as bad as the last couple of seasons, could it?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.