Author Topic: OTP Season 2005 Preview  (Read 8014 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
OTP Season 2005 Preview
« on: February 18, 2005, 01:37:55 AM »
You got the 2004 reviews it's only fair you get a season 2005 preview - click on the link and check it out.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/ontheprowl/article1502.htm

Hmmmmmmmm.... do you agree or disagree ;)

And a quickie trivia Question:

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1961 and managed only 11 games for the Tigers over 3 seasons. I required a knee reconstruction that cut my career short. I did play for 2 other AFL teams before retiring

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: OTP Season 2005 Preview
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:24:07 PM »
Great stuff with the preview WP :thumbsup  :bow  :cheers

Class of 2003:

Jackson 18 (19 in April)
Hartigan 19 (20 in April)
Raines 18 (19 in March)
Roach 19
Gilmour 18 (19 in June)
Archibald 19 today (23/2) :birthday

Hartigan and Jackson both seem to have cemented a spot in the senior 22. Jackson looks more like he'll eventually settle into the midfield. His size and pace will be a tough ask for any opposition to match up on. He doesn't really have the height to be a key defender (although he is of similar size to Bowden). I'd presume Wallace is probably experimenting him there in the pre-season and because we lack rebounding tall defenders down back.   

I was surprised Raines didn't play Friday night. He looks the next most likely of the 2003 class to play seniors regularly. Just looks like a natural footballer (maybe looking like a young twin of his dad gives that impression :o).

Roach is still an unknown IMV. Has excellent foot speed but as yet hasn't stood out as a footballer. Last year was his debut season so at only 19 it's a bit rough to judge him too harshy. He just needs to show improvement over 2005  and become more prevalent in terms of getting his hands on the footy.

Gilmour was drafted at the lower end of the age bracket. IIRC he just scrapped into the 2003 draft. So he quite possibly could have waited and ended up in last year's draft with Deledio and Co. As he's apparently put on 7 kgs he should now be physically capable to play a few games in the seniors. That'll be what I am expecting from him in 2005.

I think Archibald would still be classed as a long-term project especially after suffering from OP last year.

Class of 2004:

Forgetting about the obvious duo in Deledio and Tambling, you'd reckon Meyer, Polo and Pattison will crack a seniors game sometime during the year. IMO Meyer could be linked closer to Deledio and Tambling than to Polo and Pattison from the practice games so far as has the footy smarts to play now. However at only 70kg he is probably not physically ready to play too many AFL games. Agree with you WP on McGuane and Limbach. Being tall and only weighing in the mid-late 70 kgs they'll take a couple of years longer to develop and fill out.

Twilight/Spotlight:

I would've thought Cambo after a full pre-season would have regained at least part of his former self by now. Unfortunately the leg injuries he's copped over the past couple of years looked to have robbed him permanently of any leg speed whatsoever. Even plonked in the forward pocket he needs some pace to lead and mark. It's sad to see him as a former shadow of himself. Last year definitely IMO.

Stafford is heading in the same direction but with Simmonds and Knobel we no longer have to rely on Staff as much as we use to and being a big lug (he says affectionately) we can still push him forward as he's a good strong mark and accurate kick for goal.

With our backline KP deficiencies Morrison should really be easily slotting into the side. He may get picked for the Morwell game with Sarge now out for a long time. We need him to stand up. If he can't get back into the senior side now then he never will.

Pettifer's got the most talent of the 5 WP's mentioned. Kayne did show glimpses of it in the 9 straight games he played in the second half last year. He's injured at the moment but when he gets back he would need to step up another level again to even have a chance of saving his footy career. At a top club they wouldn't have the patience to wait 5 years for a flanker to develop. 

I like Tucky. Should have played more senior games last year but Spud appeared to have something against him and wouldn't give him a go. What will decide his fate will be his kicking skills as they need to improve for this level (same can be said for a number of his senior teammates).

Chaffey in 2004 was a disaster. Another Tiger with poor foot skills. He wouldn't want to put in another year like that. As he's going to be used as a tagger he can't afford to slip up with the number of young midfielders now on our list.

I can't see Rory surviving this year.

One I would add as under the pump is Tivs. He won't be delisted as he's contracted to 2006 but he's up and down from week to week; from year to year. Tivs' achillies heal is his one-sidedness. Opposition sides have learnt to trap him on his right foot so he has to back-track to get on his left. On a positive note, Wallace's attacking gameplan is made for blokes like Tivs so he needs to play some consistently good footy and kick some long 50+ goals like we know he is capable of.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:35:11 PM »
WHO AM I?

I was born in 1961 and managed only 11 games for the Tigers over 3 seasons. I required a knee reconstruction that cut my career short. I did play for 2 other AFL teams before retiring

As a guess - Darryl Freame  ???

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 04:46:28 PM »
One I would add as under the pump is Tivs. He won't be delisted as he's contracted to 2006 but he's up and down from week to week; from year to year. Tivs' achillies heal is his one-sidedness. Opposition sides have learnt to trap him on his right foot so he has to back-track to get on his left. On a positive note, Wallace's attacking gameplan is made for blokes like Tivs so he needs to play some consistently good footy and kick some long 50+ goals like we know he is capable of.

It's funny my original list of players "under the pump" was greater than 5. Tivendale and Rodan were just 2 that were on the original list. That's when I decided to "cull" it back to 5.

You would think that the Wallace game plan would suit Tivva but last Friday - he looked really lost at times down back.

Although, I reckon it is worth a shot of playing off half back because he can give such drive of the HB line and those 50+ metre kicks mean it can be in our attacking 50 alot quicker thereby creating more one out opportunities for the forwards.

As a guess - Darryl Freame ???

No not Darryl Freame

Hint: this bloke was a key position player

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 05:32:39 PM »
Hint: this bloke was a key position player

Not Ian Sartori  :scream

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 08:46:56 AM »
Not Ian Sartori  :scream

Who  :lol :rollin :lol :rollin :rollin

Nope

Hint 2: One of his other teams was the Saints ;)

froars

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 09:32:19 AM »
Stephen Pirrie  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 05:29:21 PM »
Correct  O' wise one  :bow :bow

Stehpen Pirrie it was.

Another one of my favourites from early 80's ;D

froars

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 05:43:12 PM »
Another one of my favourites from early 80's

11 games - you're easily pleased - must have been rippers lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 04:33:04 PM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 04:40:33 PM »
Another one of my favourites from early 80's

11 games - you're easily pleased - must have been rippers lol

And what number did he wear O' great one ;) ;D

froars

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 08:21:46 PM »
27  :thumbsup