Author Topic: Tonite's game  (Read 3383 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Tonite's game
« on: February 18, 2005, 10:24:41 PM »
Spewing on Richo for giving away that 100m penalty.  If Rocca hadn't kicked that 9 pointer we would have won.!  Had to listen to the game on 3AW.  I don't know who the commentator was but talk about biased.  Must be on Eddie's payroll.  Sounds like Tambling provided lots of excitement. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tonite's game
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 01:36:51 AM »
A mixture of the new and old tonight. The first quarter we were very good with Simmonds at FF and Richo at HF. Plenty of run through the midfield with numbers at contests and typically used the footy well and found the best option. The second quarter was back to old habits of one too many handballs resulting in turnover after turnover in the midfield and stupidly in our backline and leaving too much to too few. Richo was moved to FF that quarter and it was back to bombing blindly away  :banghead. We gifted the Pies nearly every goal in that quarter. Luckily they were off target. We really should have been 4-5 goals down at half-time.

Came out after half-time and regained our structure although I thought we still played dumb footy in patches lazily bombing the ball forward when setting up the play would have been the better option. If it's possible I thought we probably in the second half played too predictably through the corridor when switching the play to a free teammate on the other side of the ground could've opened up the Pies who were getting numbers back. It's ok to go wide occasionally to mix it up. We got to 25 points up in the last quarter and looked like running all over them with our new found pace (maybe we burnt out in the end?). Then through some undisciplined acts (:banghead @ Richo) we gifted them a couple of goals. We then basically went into panic footy mode bombing blindly forward as the Pies started pushing the ball forward at all costs.

In the end the number of scoring shots and possessions heavily favoured the Pies which showed we have got along way to go but that's nothing we didn't expect. 2005 is only a first step. We still gift too many goals to the other side through poor execution of skills and poor and lazy decision making. The positives team wise were that our endeavour and hardness at the footy was good and the style of footy was good to watch so that was pleasing. Wasn't put to sleep that's for sure. There's at least plenty for Wallace to work with and improve on.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace starts wild ride
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 04:14:05 AM »
Wallace starts wild ride
19 February 2005   
Herald Sun
Jon Pierik

A NEW coach, six new players and a captain on trial. Richmond's new era under Terry Wallace officially took flight against Collingwood last night -- and it promises to be some ride.

While their bid to re-emerge as a football force began like each of the final 14 rounds of the 2004 season ended -- with a loss -- there much was to like for the tortured souls who make up the Tiger faithful.

This was about a awakening of a hibernating giant, complete with a batch of young, fresh talent that many rate the best in the land.

Wallace is first to admit there is plenty of work to do; like any masterpiece, this may take years to complete.

However, it's clear he has the top-notch tools to work with in the next five years as he sets out on rounding off his football resume with a premiership as coach.

Youngsters Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling are the real deal, while mature-age signings Troy Simmonds, Mark Graham and Trent Knobel last night provided what Wallace wanted of them -- toughness.

Wallace may have been out of the coaches' box since 2002, but he has not lost any of the savvy that made his unfashionable Bulldogs one of the most exciting teams of the late 90s.

The decision to start Deledio on the bench was a good one as it allowed the celebrated No. 1 pick a chance to pick up the pace of the game, something he quickly adjusted to in a composed and classy debut.

Tambling began up forward alongside the giant Simmonds, but was allowed to do what he does best -- run and gather possessions.

His dynamic, spearing super goal in the second quarter, which left Scott Burns sprawling in the centre, was a piece of magic.

Wallace had promised over summer a far more competitive and exciting outfit and said his side would target 16 goals a game -- up from the club's average of 11 last year.

To do this, Wallace needed to implement a direct style of play. Mark that down as another tick by his name.

Admittedly, there were some terrible relapses last night into bad habits.

These generally occurred around half-back and through the midfield when his young men were under siege.

But, when the opportunity arose, the centre corridor was used as the Tigers looked to Matthew Richardson and Simmonds on the lead.

As the Magpies surged in the last quarter and the game was in the balance, Wallace went to his generals to protect the lead.

The tired Tambling and Deledio were benched, while Kane Johnson and stand-in skipper Joel Bowden were sent to half-back.

Graham, who began as a surprise forward, returned to his defensive post where he looked far more comfortable.

On radio before the game, Wallace was clearly buoyant about the season ahead. Last night's result shouldn't change his attitude, for the potential masterpiece has just begun.

COLLINGWOOD 1.1.4 1.5.10 1.8.11 3.12.16 (115)
RICHMOND 1.3.4 2.3.6 4.6.6 5.9.9 (108)
SUPER GOALS
Collingwood: R.Lonie, A.Williams, A.Rocca
Richmond: N.Brown, T.Roach, T.Knobel, R.Tambling, S.Tuck
GOALS
Collingwood: C.Tarrant 2, A.Rocca 2, T.Walker 2, J.Rowe, R.Cole, S.Burns, C.Cloke, D.King, J.Fraser
Richmond: T.Simmonds 2, B.Deledio, M.Richardson, D.Rodan, C.Newman, W.Campbell, A.Krakouer, R.Tambling
BEST
Collingwood: S.O'Bree, C.Tarrant, P.Licuria, A.Rocca, B.Johnson, B.Holland, S.Morrison, A.Williams
Richmond: K.Johnson, B.Deledio, T.Simmonds
INJURIES
Richmond: J.Schulz (ankle)
CROWD: 33,639
UMPIRES: C.Hendrie, M.Vozzo, S.McInerney, S.Meredith 

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12299495%255E19771,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pie night, but Tigers find dash of class
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 04:23:14 AM »
First Mike and now Connolly hop on the Tiger bandwagon (even after a loss!). What's the world coming to  ;D

------------------------

Pie night, but Tigers find dash of class
By Rohan Connolly
The Age
February 19, 2005

The arrival of a coaching messiah in Terry Wallace, a couple of highly rated draftees and a couple more handy senior recruits have created such expectation among the Richmond faithful that T-shirts, bearing the slogan: "I was there when we were poo" are already doing a roaring trade.

With that sort of anticipation, it was going to be difficult for the Tigers' first hitout of the year to prove anything but an anti-climax. But while it lost the game by just seven points, after having led by as much as 25 in the final term, Richmond will walk away from last night quietly satisfied it can expect bigger things.

Against an opponent in Collingwood fielding a strong line-up and itself looking like it had a sizeable point to prove, the Tigers led for most of the night, were always strong at the contest, and looked the winner for the bulk of the match despite quiet returns from key players Matthew Richardson and Nathan Brown. And there were moments when the Tigers looked quite a classy outfit, something that hasn't been said of them for most of the past two decades.

The passage of play that will have Tigers fanatics pressing rewind on the videotape again and again came just before half-time, and featured rookie Richard Tambling, who looked so comfortable with the tempo he already looms as a potential key to the Tigers' 2005 plans.

It started with a surging run out of defence from Shane Tuck, who burst through a pack and found the highly-skilled excitement machine in the clear in the centre square. As he did in his dazzling junior career, Tambling took off. Collingwood veteran Scott Burns tried to run him down, but finished sprawled on the ground as Tambling booted a beautiful raking goal from outside 50 metres, earning the Tigers nine points.

It produced an ear-splitting roar from the long-suffering Tiger fans, and who knows how many dreams about subsequent heroics being performed on a bigger stage come September.

The Tigers' army of new faces certainly made their presence felt very early. Former Hawk Mark Graham kicked the first score of 2005, a snapped behind. Another off-season pick up, Troy Simmonds, added another after the Tigers' David Rodan had kicked the first goal of the match.

No. 1 national draft pick Brett Deledio came off the interchange bench to a generous reception, and after fluffing his first kick, made his second count, running into space near goal and kicking truly from 35 metres to put Richmond 12 points up just before quarter-time.

But it was Tambling who really had the Tiger army excited. He'd already picked up a cluster of possessions after 10 minutes, looked sharp and confident, and had an even bigger impact in the second term despite sitting on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the quarter, taking two strong marks and curling a lovely right foot snap just wide of the goals.

Less spectacular, but in the big picture not a lot less encouraging, were the performances of tall pair Simmonds and Trent Knobel, Graham, who worked hard early, and Shane Tuck, who kicked the Tigers' fifth nine-point goal early in the final term. Knobel was solid at the centre bounces and managed to pick up the odd possession, too, not a noted strength during his time with St Kilda. He also dropped back into defence to help block the space of Collingwood spearhead Chris Tarrant, who, one-on-one, was giving young key defender Daniel Jackson a torrid time.

Simmonds performed a similar function during his spells on the ball, relieved Richardson of some pressure as a key forward, and presented a strong and credible target, his sheer strength and height helping draw two free kicks and two subsequent goals.

As a group, they allowed Wallace to spread the workload, to start former skipper Wayne Campbell on the interchange bench, to play Kane Johnson from half-back, to give the unsung likes of Chris Hyde and Tuck their share of time in the thick of the action in the centre square. It was all encouraging stuff for the Tigers, who haven't seen their team win a game of any description since last May.

Victory last night would have made things that much sweeter, but at least the Tiger army can be reasonably confident it won't be going three months without a single win this year.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/02/18/1108709438944.html

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 04:27:54 AM »
Was pleased with the more attacking style of play but our skills are still woeful. Luckily Collingwood's were even worse, otherwise we would have been on the end of a 7 or 8 goal hiding.

Of the captaincy hopefuls, I thought Bowden showed some presence early before he got injured and seemed set for a big night.

Johnson worked up a lot of his disposals through hand ball recieves from the likes of Knobel who was getting free kicks every second bounce in the centre and passes from kick ins in the backline. Was dissappointed with his work around the stoppages, and though he ran hard to recieve the ball, he hardly had any impact on the match. He has had an interrupted pre-season so I shouldn't be too hard on him.

Brown still looked a little underdone and should probably have been rested. Was worked off the ball easily in some contests and went missing for large durations of the match.

Richo, lmfaoo@Richo. Like usual, tried his guts out but has an underdeveloped brain which stopped forming about 20 years ago.

Some other points:

Tambling and Deledio look the goods. Was really impressed with Deledio. His disposal was a little wonky at times but he sharked the ball really well around the packs and his reflexes seem top notch. He still looks like he has a lot of room to grow as well which is a good thing. Tambling got himself amongst it which is promising to see for such a skinny kid. Will be fascinating to see him develop.

Campbell looks bloated and even more shot than last year - though he still had the presence to drop the knee on Woewodin's head -onya Cambo.

Kellaway looks past it. His indecision in the backline leaves you with your heart in your mouth and his disposal makes you cough your heart up.

Gaspar looks a little better than last year but still off what he used to be.

Simmonds throws his body around but is a bit of an unco. Still will adequately replace Ottens this year.

Knobel is a dud and was made to look good on the stat sheet by Josh Fraser giving away ten free kicks. He can tap ruck but he struggles to mark and dispose of the ball when in play.

Rodan picked the wrong sport. He should be playing rugby. Has a great sidestep but that's about it. Went missing and didn't get enough of the ball.

Krakouer is still the same old Krakouer.

Hyde does look genuinely faster and definitely puts in, but still has C grade disposal.

Roach, Tuck and Hartigan did well in patches.

Newman was his serviceable self.

Tragic for Schulz. I thought his injury hurt our backline structure.

Graham is a dud and should give way to someone like Moore.

Jackson did ok but recieved a footy lesson of that diickhead Tarrant.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 01:12:23 PM »
Kellaway looks past it. His indecision in the backline leaves you with your heart in your mouth and his disposal makes you cough your heart up.

I thought his blind turn in the 3rd quarter when there wasn't an opponent withing 10 metres was quite special :rollin

In the end the number of scoring shots and possessions heavily favoured the Pies which showed we have got along way to go but that's nothing we didn't expect. 2005 is only a first step. We still gift too many goals to the other side through poor execution of skills and poor and lazy decision making. The positives team wise were that our endeavour and hardness at the footy was good and the style of footy was good to watch so that was pleasing. Wasn't put to sleep that's for sure. There's at least plenty for Wallace to work with and improve on.

Agree MT - I just thought it was exciting to watch - though the second quarter cost us dearly. But at least we didn't capitulate like we did week after week in 2004 ;D gotta think positive  :thumbsup

What I thought was intersting and pleasing was in the first quarter Richo led wide and took 2 Pies with him and as a result created an opportunity for Simmonds to have an easy one on one contest - a set plan that I reckon we will see more this year. When we went back to the bad habits of kicking it to Richo we were found out not only because we kicked to Richo but because there were no crumbers :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 01:04:44 PM »
On the crumbing side of things I could quite clearly see the problem. We were actually moving the ball through the middle so quickly at certain stages that the crumbers were not even close to getting in the right position. As soon as everyone starts to get used to quick rebound footy, we might start to see some effective crumbing.
I was very disappointed in Rodan's second half. I was almost certain he changed his jumper at half time for a cloak of invisibility. AK really let us down at times but I've seen him play worse.
I was actually quite impressed with Hyde. He's fit and looks a yard or two quicker than last year. I was a bit worried that nobody had to presence of mind to block any collingwood forward on a lead. They always seemed to have an unhindered run to the ball. I was very happy with Lids and Tambo in their first game. Knobel I get the feeling may turn out to be a bit of a plank. He can't mark from what I've seen so far. He may have to change his surname to Kobelloodygood. ;D
Campbo looked like a cranky old man out there. He may end up giving away too many undisciplined free kicks as the season progresses for Terry's liking.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 03:21:51 PM »
finally got into OER.  What's ging on?  getting error messages all the time.

Anyway, was kinda pleased with the performance the other night.  Mega pleased with Lids.  He's the complete package, a natural footballer and a natural athlete.  I can see why everyone was harping on about him.  Speed, composure, skills, great hands, and can win his own ball.  Will be looking forward to seeing the number 3 tear up teams in the future.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 03:43:06 PM »
On the crumbing side of things I could quite clearly see the problem. We were actually moving the ball through the middle so quickly at certain stages that the crumbers were not even close to getting in the right position.

I think the problem with that was we typically kicked to around the 35-40 mark from goal instead of the top of the square 15-20m out. When we did kick it to the right spot Tambo crumbed the pack and snapped truly. 

I was a bit worried that nobody had to presence of mind to block any collingwood forward on a lead. They always seemed to have an unhindered run to the ball.

I blame our dumb turnovers for that. All our guys run off their opponents when we have the footy (especially so when you have an attacking gameplan) but can't get back when we stuff up a kick or handball.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »
finally got into OER.  What's ging on?  getting error messages all the time.

Sorry Harry and everyone but we are still trying to sort this out  :P.

What would be helpful is for everyone who is getting error messages to either post on the feedback board in WP's thread or email us at admin@oneeyed-richmond.com what error messages they are getting, how often they are occurring, the times they are occurring (morning, afternoon, night) and during what actions are you getting them (logging on/off, posting, viewing, etc).  We can then pass the info onto our host.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 04:57:53 PM »
Just arrived home last night from Sth Africa.

I missed Friday's game but its great to see what everyone here is saying about our effort, there seems to have been a lot of positives.

I'm a bit confused about the excitement over the Tiges kicking a Ton though. 5 of the goals were supergoals right?

so if you take away 15 points we end up with a score of 93 & IMO this is still not enough to win most games of football.

The kicking looks like it was accurate but this means we didn't have nearly as many scoring shot as the mudpies.

I have not seen the game if I am talking any crap pls tell me. :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 05:18:20 PM »
I'm a bit confused about the excitement over the Tiges kicking a Ton though. 5 of the goals were supergoals right?

so if you take away 15 points we end up with a score of 93 & IMO this is still not enough to win most games of football.

That's right HT and welcome back from OS  :). We kicked 14 goals so we were two short of the 16 goals per game target Wallace has said we should be aiming for. If we had kicked those 2 more goals we would've won. The second quarter lapse into bad old habits costed us dearly. As for the Pies poor goalkicking - a number of their shots on goal were on acute angles. Tarrant especially lead wide all night.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 05:29:42 PM »
It’s true what you say about the goals H Tiger, but we probably need to take into consideration that the quarters are shorter in the Wizard Cup.  Someone else might know for sure, but I think games are somewhere around 20-30 minutes shorter than for a home and away match.

On the game, the long journey has begun.  There’s no doubt we have a lot of teamwork building to do.  Under pressure, our decision making isn’t good.  As if we didn’t already know.

Apart from that though, it was fantastic to enjoy a Richmond game and come away with some real hope for the future.

You had to be happy with the first up efforts on the big stage of Tambling and Deledio. 
Tambling got most of the hype and he sure can light up a footy field.  And I was really rapt with Deledio.  Some of his efforts were that of a very switched on footballer and a seasoned campaigner.  It’ll be worth going just to watch these two develop as footballers.

Have to mention Daniel Jackson too.  Obviously it would have been a great game to learn from, for him.  And unless the coaches knew he had the character to handle it, I doubt they would have kept him on Tarrant.  Credit to him for sticking to his guns.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.