Author Topic: Tigers vs Suns thread - Who's Going to Cairns??  (Read 27178 times)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers vs Suns thread - Who's Going to Cairns??
« Reply #270 on: July 18, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
I have no doubt that it was that little three week road trip that killed our season. One week in the tropics, then off to Sydney, can't get a flight back because of the volcanic ash, so we have a 12 hour bus trip (which is a great bonding excercise apparently, because the team just looks so united doesn't it?) Then it's off to Brisbane.
Meanwhile the Magpies just continue to take a lazy stroll from Gosch's paddock to the G every week. 

tony_montana

« Reply #271 on: July 18, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
I have no doubt that it was that little three week road trip that killed our season. One week in the tropics, then off to Sydney, can't get a flight back because of the volcanic ash, so we have a 12 hour bus trip (which is a great bonding excercise apparently, because the team just looks so united doesn't it?) Then it's off to Brisbane.
Meanwhile the Magpies just continue to take a lazy stroll from Gosch's paddock to the G every week. 

i lol'd at the bus trip part of your post  :lol

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #272 on: July 18, 2011, 04:58:34 PM »
What about the week before?

at least they bounced back, we dont bounce at all, we are like a squashed marshmellow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #273 on: July 18, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »
"Highlights" from the Cairns game:

http://bigpondvideo.com/RichmondTV/372874/tiger-takes-round-17/

No MRP reports either.

Contact between Gold Coast's Danny Stanley and Richmond's Will Thursfield from the first quarter of Saturday's match was assessed. Stanley and Thursfield are both contesting a loose ball when contact was made. Stanley had his eyes on the ball at all times and it was the view of the panel that the Gold Coast player had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118845/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Upgrade for Tigers v Suns AFL venue in Cairns (Cairns Post)
« Reply #274 on: July 19, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
Upgrade for Tigers v Suns AFL venue in Cairns
Murray Wenzel
The Cairns Post
Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A TWILIGHT or night game looks likely for next year's AFL clash in Cairns with work to start on a multi-million dollar lighting upgrade at Cazalys within a week.

After the success of Saturday’s inaugural AFL premiership match in Cairns between Richmond and Gold Coast, further investment will also increase the capacity of the stadium to almost 13,000.

Two more light poles, each containing 88 lights, will be erected at the ground at a cost of $2.7 million.

It means the AFL will have the option of scheduling a night game, or a late afternoon game that will finish under lights.

AFL Cairns boss Gary Young said a twilight game made sense because it would ensure families with young children – who made Saturday’s game so special – would still attend.

"It was so wonderful to see so many kids in their team’s colours showing so much emotion, you don’t want to lose that atmosphere by having it too late," Young said.

"But I’m sure they would want to use the lights in some way, considering $2 million of that is State Government money."

The towers will carry twice as many bulbs as the ones currently in place and will sit behind the grandstand and the hill on Tills St.

"You might need sunscreen at night it’ll be that bright," Young joked.

Nearly 11,000 people created an atmosphere never before seen at Cazalys but next year that number will be closer to 13,000 when the Tigers and Suns return to Cairns.

While there is talk of a grandstand one day expanding across and above the new player facilities, Young said other methods would be employed to increase the crowd size next year.

"Those aerial shots show best where you can fit more people or reposition things to best utilise the space," he said. "We’re working with all three levels of government to keep improving the facility and, even if it’s in small stages, increase the size of that grandstand."

Crews will start digging the foundations for the two new structures early next week and they hope to have the project completed before the wet season arrives.

The Tigers and Suns have a three-year deal to play in Cairns.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2011/07/19/174535_local-sport-news.html

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #275 on: July 19, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »
I would suggest this a good thing to raise our supporter base but based on what I saw last weekend, the Suns appear to already have a foothold in the region  ???

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
Coaches' votes (Hardwick and McKenna):

Richmond v Gold Coast
8 Nathan Bock (GC)

8 David Swallow (GC)

7 Gary Ablett (GC)
3 Campbell Brown (GC)
2 Chris Newman (Rich)
1 Trent Cotchin (Rich)
1 Danny Stanley (GC)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
I would suggest this a good thing to raise our supporter base but based on what I saw last weekend, the Suns appear to already have a foothold in the region  ???

I was there and no doubt there were more Tigers fans than Sun's fans. It may have looked and sounded like there were more Suns fans because they had more to cheer about :chuck :chuck