Author Topic: Can the Tigers' rebound? (afl site)  (Read 207 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Can the Tigers' rebound? (afl site)
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
Can the Tigers' rebound?
AFL Record writers
Mon 11 Jul, 2011

Peter Ryan: Richmond's mistakes rebounding the ball from defence is costing them heavily. Damien Hardwick knows this but the question is how do you approach that coaching a young side? Do you tighten the screws and risk players going into the shells or do you teach and teach and keep encouraging the players to learn through mistakes?

Callum Twomey: Unfortunately for Hardwick, it was his captain Chris Newman who started the rot with an awful blunder out of defence. Bachar Houli backed it up with another howler. These guys aren't young or inexperienced players. But he certainly should be continuing to teach and teach and teach. It's the only way. For two and a half quarters the Tigers were very good.

Michael Lovett: More short-term pain I'm afraid for the Tigers. I know their supporters have been extremely patient but they will have to hang tight for another 18 months. Build a midfield around Martin and Cotchin, expect that Riewoldt will be a bit hit or miss and keep working the draft to get kids. The main thing is to allow Damien Hardwick the time to work a structure that is sustainable and everyone knows they are on the same page.

Nick Bowen: Hardwick will be taking a long-term view. As hard as some of Richmond's losses are at the moment, they can ultimately be invaluable learning exercises for his group. And I'm sure he's encouraging his players to take the game on and to relish the opportunity of matching it with some of the best players in the comp. If he goes into lock-down mode, that sort of negativity can cripple a club and its players. Much better to have a crack, dust yourself off when you cop a pasting and go again. Every side that's rebuilt over the years has had to go through extended pain.

Ryan: It must be a tough part of coaching. Having to drill down on something but not over-emphasise it so it becomes front and centre of the mind. Hardwick does not want Richmond players scared to get free possession in the backline. It needs to be an issue the whole team takes on board. Forwards and mids need to work harder to create option. If I was coaching I'd be emphasising that a mistake is never an individual mistake. Something team related has always caused it. And individuals either with or without the ball need to work harder to make better decisions. Then celebrate when it is done well.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118303/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Can the Tigers' rebound? (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
So more patience...like asking the man who has finally found an oasis and is crawling towards it, to wait a few hours longer in line for a drink.  :eyebrow