Author Topic: Cotchin wants to be a Tiger for life (Moreland Leader)  (Read 1395 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin wants to be a Tiger for life (Moreland Leader)
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:19:09 AM »
Cotchin wants to be a Tiger for life
Sam Landsberger
Moreland Leader
August 1, 2011

RICHMOND fans can sleep easy.

Their hot favourite for this year’s club best-and-fairest and captain-in-waiting, Trent Cotchin, is a Tiger for life.

The 21-year-old midfield star revealed he was excited by the nucleus of young talent at Punt Rd and wants to be a one-club player.

‘‘No doubt about it, Richmond for life,’’ he said after training in Craigieburn last week.

‘‘The young guys are exciting, but I’ll start with a couple of guys we drafted as mature-age players. Robin Nahas has had a fantastic year, Bachar Houli has come into the group and really given us some drive off halfback.

‘‘And then you’ve got young players like Batchy ( Jake Batchelor), Concs (Reece Conca), Ben Griffiths, who is exciting up forward, and other players like Vickers (Tyrone Vickery), who is really taking his position up forward and as secondary ruck.

‘‘We all know what path we’re on and where we’re heading and there’s no doubt it’s exciting for not only us but supporters and our families who are a part of it, too.’’

Cotchin’s numbers compare with this year’s Brownlow fancies.

Last week he gathered a careerbest 38 touches against the elite Geelong midfield.

Cotchin ranks in the top five AFL players for kicks and sits comfortably in the top 10 for contested possessions, the youngest player in that bracket.

Surrounding the Northern Knights recruit in the top 10 are Gary Ablett, Chris Judd and Simon Black, winners of four Brownlow medals, while Cotchin has won more of his own footy than any Collingwood player this season.

But the No. 2 draft pick was quick to shy away from his star status.

‘‘I set pretty high expectations and this was my first opportunity to have a full pre-season,’’ he said.

‘‘ But there’s been plenty of games where I haven’t played to a standard where I wanted, and other times where I’ve met that standard. It’s just about raising that bar as often as you can and as much as you can throughout the year.’’

As for his breakout match against the Cats? ‘‘For me I always rate my game on how I impact the side and how I influence the team, so it’s hard to say when you have a loss.’’ Coach Damien Hardwick has rewarded Cotchin’s rise in the 17 games he has played this season.

Last month he was sent to mind Judd as Carlton bounced to a 103-point win before going headto-head with Ablett in Cairns two weeks later.

‘‘There’s no doubt they’re the superstars of the competition and that’s where I want to get to, but there’s plenty of work to be done in between,’’ Cotchin said.

‘‘Just to see the way Juddy works in and around stoppages and then his burst outside of the stoppage is fantastic and that’s why he is the best player in the competition.’’

With captain Chris Newman expected to miss Sunday’s match against West Coast, Cotchin is a strong chance to captain Richmond for the second time in his 59-game career.

Cotchin meets Richmond’s leadership group each week and, with Newman, 29, approaching the twilight of his career, the Ascot Vale resident is seen as a logical replacement.

Cotchin said he would love to lead the Tigers permanently, while his TAC Cup coach Paul Satterley lauded his ability to lead by example.

‘‘He was always prepared to speak up and voice his opinion, even as a younger player at the club he was well-respected and had an older head on his shoulders,’’ Satterley, who was in charge of the Knights in 2007, said.

‘‘When I coached him he was full-on with his footy and his focus and where he wanted to go.’’

Former Richmond coach Terry Wallace kept a close eye on Cotchin throughout the TAC Cup with his son Brent in the system that year.

Cotchin was taken one pick behind Carlton's Matthew Kreuzer, with the pair still best mates after growing up together.

‘‘We used to have a bit of a laugh at (Northern Knights) selection meetings back in the day, debating who you’d take, Kreuzer or Cotchin,’’ Satterley said. ‘‘We were trying to work out who would be the bigger superstar. You were never going to do poorly if you went either way.’’

With five games remaining Cotchin said the Tigers were hoping to revert to their winning form of earlier this season by playing on instinct and with a more offensive mind frame. And when asked if he would become a Blues fan come September in support of Kreuzer, he said: ‘‘No way. Maybe I’ll have a soft spot for Kreuze, but not the Blues.’’

Moreland Leader link

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cotchin wants to be a Tiger for life (Moreland Leader)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:21:12 AM »
One word  to describe him GUN !!!.If only other players at our club could take a leaf of his.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:23 AM »
Is currently the Heart of the midfield, very hungry kid
Had forgotten his place in the draft... Imagine Judd, Murphy and Cotchin together??
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
If cotch went to Carlton he'd have had decent ruckman  who put they ball to his advantage instead of spastics like Graham. Her be a monster.

God bless the LAd

gerkin greg

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
Yeah decent ruckmen like Cameron Cloke & Cain Ackland

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
Silly man Cotch, you want to be a Tiger for life......you clown..........just like the rest of us.. :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
Was thinking more kruser, hampson, warnocks

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:27:54 PM »
Was thinking more kruser, hampson, warnocks

If Cotch was at Carlton then Santa Kruz would be rucking for us instead of Angus the rabbit and big Browney

Ox

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
What a stuffen Loser he must be................... :scream

Only gaggin'- Good man! :thumbsup

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »
When I read one of these articles in mid season and a prominent player says "I hate this poohole and I'm leaving as soon as I can" then I'll start taking this stuff seriously.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »
Do us proud Cotch.