Author Topic: Tigers to make statement: Hardwick (afl)  (Read 1875 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to make statement: Hardwick (afl)
« on: August 11, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
Tigers to make statement
By Adam McNicol
3:32 PM Thu 11 Aug, 2011

RICHMOND will look to last year's dramatic win over the Sydney Swans at the MCG for inspiration when it takes on John Longmire's seventh-placed team on Sunday.

In round 14, 2010, the Tigers fought back from five goals down late in the third quarter to defeat the Swans by four points.

It was only Richmond's third victory for the year and moved Damien Hardwick's team above West Coast into 15th place on the ladder.

It also broke the Tigers' eight-game losing streak against the Swans.

This time around, the Tigers are battling a form slump - they've lost eight of their past 10 matches - but they want to again make a statement against one of the toughest and most consistent teams in the competition.

"They're a side that doesn't ever bottom out," Hardwick said at the ME Bank Centre on Thursday.

"They're always competitive. They recruit very well, they trade very well and they've done some remarkable things with some players.

"They're a club that we no doubt aspire to be. They're continued finals performers on the big stage, so they're a side we really enjoy playing."

When the two sides last met, in round 12, the Swans overcame a bout of goalkicking yips to win 9.21 (75) to 9.11 (65).

"We were certainly coming home with a wet sail, but time got the better of us," Hardwick said.

"Granted that the Swans had a number of scoring opportunities earlier in the game that they didn't take, but again we're looking forward to the challenge."

Hardwick doesn't believe last weekend's 57-point loss to West Coast in Perth has left his players overly fatigued.

"As a whole, we were really disappointed with the result," Hardwick said. "In the last quarter, we faded away.

"But for three quarters we competed pretty hard. There were a number of things that we worked on that came out ok.

"I think our group has been resilient as always and will look to play some good footy on Sunday."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/120770/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers to make statement: Hardwick (afl)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »

Ox

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
...no thanks...

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:03:17 PM »
...no thanks...

x 2, would love to see us fight it out and perhaps unearth something in one of our players however I am not fussed whether we win or lose.....need those picks, albeit, those crap picks.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:35:10 PM »
Hardwick is starting to make me sick ...  :banghead

Gigantor

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »
I'm starting to think we can have all the picks between 1 and 100 and i'm sure we'll unearth 99 duds..starting to think that its time that the buck stops now and we show some grunt with the group we have ,a bit like the supporteless,broke kangaroos do week in week out,each and every year

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »
Save all of the talk and just let our football make the statement on Sunday.
Saves alot of embarrassment when we don't talk ourselves up just to get flogged.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »
someone tell dimma to shut the f up

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »
I'm starting to think we can have all the picks between 1 and 100 and i'm sure we'll unearth 99 duds..starting to think that its time that the buck stops now and we show some grunt with the group we have ,a bit like the supporteless,broke kangaroos do week in week out,each and every year

Correct !

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »
 :lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 07:24:44 PM »
someone tell dimma to shut the f up

this

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »

Exactly. The players just have to get better. There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
It's not about the No.1 draft picks, they are a given. It's what you can get out of your mid range, lower and rookie picks that make the difference.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »
How about we win and then in the press conference say we used our win last year as motivation and worked on those themes to win today.
I know the club needs to promote Sunday's game with the last home game of the year being at Etihad against Nought but how about for once let our actions speak louder than words.
I think the club internally is starting to panic as Dimma was quite reserved realistic and certainly not promoting our chances in the past. This current barren run has the club turning back to its old ways publically.

Ox

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »

Exactly. The players just have to get better. There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
It's not about the No.1 draft picks, they are a given. It's what you can get out of your mid range, lower and rookie picks that make the difference.

once again the Crane communicates the issue well.
" It's what you can get out of your mid range, lower and rookie picks that make the difference."

Hardwit has gotten farr less out of them this year,regardless of us being one winaway from a statistical win.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
I think Hardwicks in real trouble. Think he has disappointed afew people and hasnt lived up to the reputation. Nevertheless he has 12 months to save himself and I hope he does. He needs to show us that he can coach.