Author Topic: Jack Dyer Medal 2011 (live coverage) - Trent Cotchin wins B&F!!!  (Read 28847 times)

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:51:44 PM by one-eyed »

10 FLAGS

Re: Jack Dyer Medal 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
Cotchin and Rance quinella for mine and wouldnt be surprised to see Rance win it because he's been quite good most weeks.

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:45 AM »
hey RFCO, i was wondering why Shane Edwards won most improved last year.  Sure he did improve, but the most startling improvement at the Tigs, and maybe in the entire competition, was clearly Jacky R.  Went from nuthin to the Coleman Medallist.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »
Now I know it's not your fault Mr RFC_O

But seriously a Tuesday night?  :banghead :banghead

Why the Club persists with putting these functions on in the middle of the week is staggering.. for memory this is probably the 6th year in a row it's been on mid-week

Also, is there any way we can guarantee that the paying customer will actually be the first ones to know the winner.

Rather than what happened last year with it being on the internet (HUN website for memory) before we had sat down for our main meal and me receiving a TXT meassage asking if the HUN's website was right?  :banghead Sort of ruined the evening to be honest

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:10:52 PM »
Function cheaper to be held on a week night .Monday to Thursday you will find.yes the media knew about the winner during the afternoon

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
Rather than what happened last year with it being on the internet (HUN website for memory) before we had sat down for our main meal and me receiving a TXT meassage asking if the HUN's website was right?  :banghead Sort of ruined the evening to be honest

That was a Herald Sun journo jumping the gun, nothing we could do about that.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:13:31 PM »
Nothing that can be done about a journo jumping the gun?

How about keeping the result quiet till its actually won?????????

As in, dont tell anyone.

Pretty sure that would be one way of preventing a journo "jumping the gun".

Personally i think the club jumped the gun in telling outsiders.

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »

As in, dont tell anyone.

To someone who doesnt work with-in a football club I understand your thinking, but every football club or news outlet or company that has a breaking story all have embargoed news articles, it's standard practice.

We'd set an embargo time, as in "don't post until 10pm" and we sent it to multiple outlets, but the HS published it at like 7.30 by accident. You do embargoed stories so the story can break as the news happens, to get ahead of the game.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »

Have to disagree - the Club gave the journo the info who granted stuffed up but they still gave it out

But if the HUN can't follow pretty simple instructions then don't give out the info. As I said it wasn't fair on those who paid to be there...

It's just like the year before the winners were up on the RFC web-site while the votes from the final rounds were still  being read out at the function..... :banghead :banghead

Sorry but having paid $180+ to be there I don't think it is too much to expect the people in attendance on the night  to be the first oces to know who the winner is

Function cheaper to be held on a week night .Monday to Thursday you will find.

Well aware of the pricing structure at Crown Jack. I know exactly how it works  ;) ;D

But IMHO that is still not a good enough reason for having it on a Tueday night and then charging folks $195 to attend. When other Clubs who do have theirs on a Friday or Saturday night don't even charge $195 a head

I appreciate you can't please everyone also understand they are trying to make a $$$ but a struth you can't have it both ways. $195 for a Tuesday night is a bit step IMHO

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »

Have to disagree - the Club gave the journo the info who granted stuffed up but they still gave it out

But if the HUN can't follow pretty simple instructions then don't give out the info. As I said it wasn't fair on those who paid to be there...

It's just like the year before the winners were up on the RFC web-site while the votes from the final rounds were still  being read out at the function..... :banghead :banghead

Sorry but having paid $180+ to be there I don't think it is too much to expect the people in attendance on the night  to be the first oces to know who the winner is

Function cheaper to be held on a week night .Monday to Thursday you will find.

Well aware of the pricing structure at Crown Jack. I know exactly how it works  ;) ;D

But IMHO that is still not a good enough reason for having it on a Tueday night and then charging folks $195 to attend. When other Clubs who do have theirs on a Friday or Saturday night don't even charge $195 a head

I appreciate you can't please everyone also understand they are trying to make a $$$ but a struth you can't have it both ways. $195 for a Tuesday night is a bit step IMHO

I'm not sure how we could have changed that, it's normal practice, every club does it, it just happened to be that they stuffed ours up. If we don't give them an embargoed article, it won't make the news/websites till maybe midnight if not later, people miss out on finding the result and it may not even make the papers the next day then our media department looks like they missed the boat. We just got unlucky.

We get really limited availability with dates. We didnt know if we were going to play finals or not so we couldn't book tentative dates until early July, its also the finals are being played on Friday night and we host events during those games too so our event calendar is pretty fully, Crown's is jam packed, we just get very few dates to choose from.

How they decide on the $195 I don't know, but I'm assuming it's to make sure we cover costs, they're not cheap obviously.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
I would be great if on a Thursday night, then we only need a day to recover before the weekend.
If the Hun apologized and recognized it was an eff up then fair enough. If not, I'd say eff 'em......
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 05:58:01 PM »

As in, dont tell anyone.

To someone who doesnt work with-in a football club I understand your thinking, but every football club or news outlet or company that has a breaking story all have embargoed news articles, it's standard practice.

We'd set an embargo time, as in "don't post until 10pm" and we sent it to multiple outlets, but the HS published it at like 7.30 by accident. You do embargoed stories so the story can break as the news happens, to get ahead of the game.

Thanks very much for the reply RFCO.

Interesting

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »
Box this trifecta

Houli
Rance
Cotcha :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 11:17:16 PM »
1. Cotchin
2. Deledio
3. Nahas
4. Rance
5. Houli

Best first year player Batchelor. :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:13:32 AM »

We get really limited availability with dates. We didnt know if we were going to play finals or not so we couldn't book tentative dates until early July, its also the finals are being played on Friday night and we host events during those games too so our event calendar is pretty fully, Crown's is jam packed, we just get very few dates to choose from.

How they decide on the $195 I don't know, but I'm assuming it's to make sure we cover costs, they're not cheap obviously.

Can I also say that it doesn't need to be at Crown - there are other venues. We never pack the place out partly because of the price we charged so why does it need to be at Crown :-\