Author Topic: Collingwood in 'inside-info scandal' (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1448 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Collingwood in 'inside-info scandal' (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 20, 2011, 04:30:43 AM »
Claims Collingwood involved in inside information scandal following AFL official's resignation

Andrew Hamilton
    August 20, 2011

COLLINGWOOD is embroiled in another integrity scandal after a long-serving AFL administrator resigned following accusations of passing on inside team information to the reigning premier.

Marty King, who ran the NEAFL Northern Conference before his resignation on August 8, was accused of handing inside team information about the Gold Coast Suns to Collingwood.

His demise comes on top of Magpies captain Nick Maxwell and senior player Heath Shaw being found to have breached AFL integrity rules governing betting on football earlier this season and the club being involved in ugly spectator sledging of St Kilda forward Stephen Milne last Friday.

King's shock resignation now sees the famous club accused of allegedly receiving privileged information on the two Queensland AFL teams that is not available to other clubs.

The investigation into Mr King was sparked after the Suns expressed their concerns over his relationship with Collingwood to AFLQ CEO Richard Griffith on the Monday following the Suns' round 18 loss to Collingwood at Metricon Stadium on July 23.

Griffith immediately alerted the AFL and a joint investigation was launched.

The Courier-Mail has learned the Brisbane Lions have confronted King in the past about his relationship with Collingwood.

AFL rules forbid employees from receiving remuneration from league clubs.

The Courier-Mail has also been made aware that King has helped Collingwood with talent identification and recruitment.

Griffith confirmed he had launched an investigation after the Suns had approached him with concerns a QAFL employee had a conflict of interest.

"I was alerted of their concerns of a potential conflict of interest early that week and dutifully investigated the matter," he said.

"Mr King resigned seven days later."

The joint investigation was not completed at the time of King's resignation.

King stressed he had resigned of his own accord and had not been sacked.

"I resigned on the 8th of August. There was a number of factors involved and I resigned of my own accord," he said.

"I have a lot of friends down at Collingwood and have done a bit of work for them when I was in a previous position."

As operations chief of the QAFL and in charge this season of running the NEAFL's Northern conference, King received a draft of reserve grade team lists from the Lions and Suns on Thursdays, with final lists received a day later.

The make-up of those sides can alert opponents to who may be playing in the senior side that weekend and be key information in planning match tactics.

Although playing neither Queensland side would have caused sleepless nights at Collingwood this season, such information would be crucial if either side was more successful and playing in the finals, as Brisbane have done in the past.

An AFL spokesman said the league would not comment on King's departure.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/claims-collingwood-involved-in-inside-information-scandal-following-afl-officials-resignation/story-e6frf9jf-1226118367669

Dubstep Dookie

Re: Collingwood in 'inside-info scandal' (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »
Well well well....

I wonder if there was any payment to the guy from Collingwood? Surely he wouldn't risk getting caught for nothing?  

It takes 2 to tango.

FNM

Re: Collingwood in 'inside-info scandal' (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I supported a charity which Nick Maxwell is associated with and I'm stiil yet to receive a receipt

http://bricksforbears.org.au/?9gtype=search&9gkw=bricks%20for%20bears&9gad=6903047202.1&gclid=CKXv_-yy3KoCFQYB4godTBCL8Q

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd