Author Topic: RFC Fan Forum Night - Sept 1  (Read 17287 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: RFC Fan Forum Night - Sept 1
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »
as if they're gunna tell anything to a group of fans recruited through online forums anything they really want kept secret.

You have just insulted everyone who goes to Club 80. You bastard, you sick bastard. They don't feel important and well informed anymore. I hope you're happy :(

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
Just got home. Nice to meet Tucky and TM in person as well as some old faces  :thumbsup.

Rule #1: Don't ask questions about why we didn't tank  :rollin. ..... well it turned out alright in the end as I got to have a one-on-one chat with Craig Cameron after everyone else had left the conference room ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »
Just got home. Nice to meet Tucky and TM in person as well as some old faces  :thumbsup.

Rule #1: Don't ask questions about why we didn't tank  :rollin. ..... well it turned out alright in the end as I got to have a one-on-one chat with Craig Cameron after everyone else had left the conference room ;).

Did you ask him where he gets his hair sculpted? I'm looking for a new barber :lol

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 09:05:16 PM »

Details please  ;D

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »
as if they're gunna tell anything to a group of fans recruited through online forums anything they really want kept secret.

You have just insulted everyone who goes to Club 80. You bastard, you sick bastard. They don't feel important and well informed anymore. I hope you're happy :(
:lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »

So did you plead with CC not to keep Brad Miller  ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »

was that you who asked that Q MT :lol...Not sure what answer you were expecting, twas me who asked how the dogs and saints had managed relative success without abundant resource
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Details please  ;D
Craig Cameron was the speaker and gave a slide presentation of the football dept. and where it's at and where it wants to go.

2010/2011 was about transformation. In 2009 the club had sacked its coach and had an old and overpaid list thanks to finishing 9th in 2008 and the Club at the time believing we'd do well in 2009. As it turned out we weren't good enough. That all needed to change. We cut the TPP down to 92.5% and have brought in 25 players in the past two years. We wanted to get a collective 500 games into our 22 and under players - we've achieved 600 games into them.

From 2012 onwards it's about winning and players will have to earn their spot rather than playing players to get games into them.

Players who have improved:
Cotchin - been able to have preseason and that's made a big difference. He'll improve again with another full preseason next year.
Martin - a good debut year but he's improved again. Will finish high again in our B&F.
Vickery - 35 goals. Rare to see a 200cm bloke with his agility.
Rance - made a number of people eat their words
Grimes - showed when he played he has what it takes.

Added Depth:
Houli
Grigg
Miller - knows when Griffiths is right to play Ben will play ahead of Brad. Ben still had issues with his shoulder this year.

Astbury put on 9kgs this year but it was probably too much weight as it took away some of his agility.

* Punt Road Oval redevelopment will start in July-August next year in readiness for 2012-13 preseason. Delay due to drainage issues.

* Coburg Tigers will continue for the next 3 years at least. There was more about Coburg but Craig said it's sensitive info and not to mention it on the forums. He did say he would love VFL games at Punt Road but AFL Victoria controls the schedule. We did talk to the AFL apparently about having a curtainraiser on the 'G for two games so it would be great if it was feasible a curtainraiser at Punt Road.

* We rate every player in the comp. on a scale out of a 1000 with 500 being a player who can play AFL regularly. We then rate the junior draftees on the same scale and put them in draft order. So if there's a scenario where we are determining the cost (draft pick wise) of an opposition player Blair Hartley says we should consider, then we weigh up the opposition player of interest against the junior footballer at the pick we'd consider trading. If the former is rated higher then the trade is most likely to go ahead. This provides some 'science' to the process of trading and drafting rather than just blindly chasing say any full-back because we need one. It's for this reason we believe we are well prepared for the upcoming trade/drafts and free agency.

* The mistakes of the past were done because we did things blindly. He mentioned we had no list manager nor a full-time recruiter in 2004-5 so there was no one to determine if for example the strength and depth of the 2004 draft and then whether it was worth trading Ottens for two late first round picks.

* 2012 trade period will go for 3 weeks  :gobdrop thanks to free agency.

There's more but I'll post this for now.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
Good to see you were there BJ. :thumbsup

It was me who asked about whether Craig Cameron has the final say on player recruiting and contract negotiations.

Yeah met MT and Tony_Montana and had a good chin wag about lots of things RFC. :thumbsup

All in all I was impressed and do actually feel that we are heading somewhere. I thought the presentation

was very imformative.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »

was that you who asked that Q MT :lol...Not sure what answer you were expecting, twas me who asked how the dogs and saints had managed relative success without abundant resource
I got a better answer in private afterwards :yep.

That was a good question by the way bj  :thumbsup. Craig answered by saying the Saints and Dogs had a couple of good drafts which got them to the finals but he's seen at other clubs the mentality that near enough was pretty good and they didn't have the resources to make the tough decisions necessary and kept hold onto these players for too long. When these play fell off the cliff then the club went with it.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »
:rollin

I was hesistant asking any further critical questions after the tanking one  :lol.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 10:06:47 PM »

That was a good question by the way bj  :thumbsup. Craig answered by saying the Saints and Dogs had a couple of good drafts which got them to the finals but he's seen at other clubs the mentality that near enough was pretty good and they didn't have the resources to make the tough decisions necessary and kept hold onto these players for too long. When these play fell off the cliff then the club went with it.

Plus St Kilda and the Dogs are bottom four spenders in terms of footy department expenditure.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:40 PM »
Just being serious about Miller - they haven't talked to Brad yet about playing on next year. They'll listen to whether Miller wants to first.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

yeah I thought it was quite a good answer MT, prob fair to say sainters and dogs run has began to fray at the edges before they actually saluted. That said , the few people both those clubs have had in the critical footy roles have clearly been a better quality than ours over the journey but he wasn't going to admit to that, and he did pre-empt his answer by saying he didnt want to disrespect those that trod before him
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

tony_montana

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
Ive met BJ a few times now and was good to meet Tucker, MT and Peter from BF.

I wont repeat what others have already said about the presentation.

Pretty much went over a lot of what we all know and have a fair idea about no secret inside info :)  just confirmed a few things such as complete setup of a footy department that was pretty much non existant  a few short years ago. The recruiting department, development coaches, strength and conditioning, starting to explore sports science more in depth now bc its not just a pipedream we are starting to get into a position where we can action these areas whereas 5 years ago we werent even in the same stratosphere.

Still got a long way to go to match it with the heavyweights of the competition when it comes to resources - very much income driven (obviously) so dont expect to keep amping up our footy department spend to catch the pies, eagles, hawks and crows unless we increase our revenue streams. Important thing is we are now "in the game". Puts it into perspective. The clubs coming from way back and can now definitively say we have the building blocks in place. If we create success over the next few years it will have a snowball effect and allow our footy department to grow and improve et al.

Im a pretty cynical type, dont buy much from the club, but hearing CC I have more tolerance and understanding  ;D. Sometimes (and i am guilty of this) we think everything is black and white and forget there is a shedload of grey in this industry. These guys arent stupid and know they arent perfect, but they sound like they have a plan and are very driven by it.

Reading between the lines - we are still miles away when it comes to recruiting resources but small steps and patience required. We're on the right track.

MT was pretty tenacious with the tanking question, before I knew it was MT i told him i loved his question  :lol would love to know what  you guys said 1 on 1 afterwards.