Author Topic: Tigers have taken lumps, and it's knocked sense into them (Inside Football)  (Read 758 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers have taken lumps, and it's knocked sense into them
Inside Football
Wed, 24 August 2011

Richmond playmaker Nathan Foley believes the trials and tribulations of the Tigers' season provide a platform for success.

After scoring their seventh win of the season – and second in succession – with a gritty come-from-behind win over Melbourne last week, the Tigers have emerged from a mid-season slump that threatened to derail what to that point was a promising campaign.

Richmond lost six games on the trot from rounds 14-20, including a horrible Round 17 loss to the Gold Coast.

"We struggled in that six-week patch and as disappointing as that was we also learned a lot through those losses," Foley said.

"The boys really found out a bit about themselves and why things unfold on the field.

"Why did we get smashed in inside-50s? Why did we get beaten at clearances? Why did our structures fall away?

"Through that whole period we stayed quite buoyant as a group and trained well. It's a great sign of perseverance," he said.

For that the 25-year-old praised coach Damien Hard­wick, who he said had been instrumental in guiding the players individually and collectively as a team.

"He's kept the same routine every week, win, lose or draw," Foley said.

"We do the review in the same way and that has helped keep everyone on an even keel.

"Away from the wins and losses you look at the progression of the whole group and I think it's been really positive."

Foley highlighted the maturity and development of Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin, the non-reliance on Jack Riewoldt to kick bags of goals to win games and the ability of the side to correct errors on the run as huge positives to come out of the season.

After conceding seven goals and the lead to trail by eight points at three-quarter time last week, the Tigers regrouped to sneak past the Demons in the run to the wire.

"We might have lost that game in the past," Foley said.

"I reckon it was a real sign that we've improved a hell of a lot from where we were 12 months ago.

"Good sides have depth and no reliance on any one, two or three players.

"We're building that and we've shown that at times this year, which is another positive."

With his own form getting back to what it was when he finished second in the Tigers' 2007 best-and-fairest, Foley said he was already looking forward to pre-season.

The 108-gamer played only four games last year because of calf, knee and achilles injuries, but this season has played all 20 games and is averaging 22 disposals and three inside-50s a game.

"I reckon I'll be better again when I get a full pre-season under my belt," he said.

http://www.insidefootballonline.com/news2.html

Ox

the Tigers have emerged from a mid-season slump that threatened to derail what to that point was a promising campaign.

How much did the club pay for this???

""We might have lost that game in the past," Foley said.""

We could have lost it last week too...and in score,off the boot of Foleys turnovers.

TigerTimeII

shut up then

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Nothing like a fine sauvignon stop white noise whine to bring on a feckin migraine.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Ya we don't rely on lids. Cotchin. Martin mr foley...