Author Topic: Tuck takes off  (Read 1580 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tuck takes off
« on: March 04, 2005, 04:37:44 PM »
Tuck takes off
2:25:09 PM Fri 4 March, 2005
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Shane Tuck is staking a strong claim for selection in Richmond’s team for the opening round clash with Geelong on Easter Sunday.

The 23-year-old son of AFL games record-holder, Michael, has been in fine form for the Tigers throughout the pre-season so far. He was impressive in the side’s narrow Wizard Cup loss to Collingwood, and was a standout against Essendon in last weekend’s practice match at Morwell.

“He’s really starting to develop as a player,” said Richmond’s coach Terry Wallace.

“We had a decision to make at the end of last year about whether he stayed . . . he hadn’t played a lot of (senior) footy last season.

“But I suppose, having played with his dad at Hawthorn . . . I knew that Michael had been a late developer. Even though he played 400-plus senior games, he played about 70 reserves game before he got his opportunity. So, I just thought Shane was worth a chance.

“He’s young enough as well that if he does make it, in the manner I think he can, then he’ll be around for a long time with all those other young, developing boys who are coming through on our list.”

Wallace believes Tuck’s size provides the Tigers with a definite boost in the midfield department.

“He’s a bit bigger and stronger, and can really mix it in the midfield. You need a couple of strong bodies in there. I just think it’s going to be good when we get Coughlan back, and we’ve got Johnson and Newman, who are stronger, inside-type players, and then you can add ‘Tucky’ to the mix. All of a sudden, we become a little bit stronger around the footy,” Wallace said.

It’s also been Tuck’s attitude towards his football, which has impressed his new coach . . .

“One of the things I admired, when I was floating around the Club for the first month, while everyone was on holidays, was seeing Tucky in the gym every day getting himself bigger and stronger,” he said.

“I saw a real desire there to make it. He’s really taken on-board a lot of what we’ve been trying to teach at training. For example, he’s improved his vision in game situations. I go back to a good goal Richard Tambling kicked in our Wizard Cup game against Collingwood . . . it was Tuck, who wrenched the ball out at half-back, and tore through with it. Once upon a time, his kick would have gone nowhere – he’d have just blasted it downfield. But on this occasion, he pinpointed it to Tambling, who did the rest . . .”

Consistency is what Tuck needs now, to establish himself as a senior league regular with the Tigers.

“I thought he was our best player last week against Essendon – but that’s one game. He’s just got to learn that what footy’s about, at AFL level, is producing week in, week out . . .

“And, if he can do that – if he can emulate the form he showed in Morwell – well, he’s going to be a very good player for us.

“It’s all about getting that consistency in his game . . .”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=188506
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Tuck takes off
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 05:01:47 PM »
Go the fro? Nah, GO THE FRIAR!!!!  :bow
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 05:15:13 PM »
“We had a decision to make at the end of last year about whether he stayed . . . he hadn’t played a lot of (senior) footy last season.

“But I suppose, having played with his dad at Hawthorn . . . I knew that Michael had been a late developer. Even though he played 400-plus senior games, he played about 70 reserves game before he got his opportunity. So, I just thought Shane was worth a chance.

Wonder if Tucky would've got the chop if his surname wasn't Tuck. In anycase well done to Friar (lol RR) for putting his head down over summer. If he steps up in the midfield he'll be a steal of a pick-up. 

I just think it’s going to be good when we get Coughlan back, and we’ve got Johnson and Newman, who are stronger, inside-type players, and then you can add ‘Tucky’ to the mix. All of a sudden, we become a little bit stronger around the footy,” Wallace said.

Sounds like Newman has been earmarked to do the role Rodan was going to do before doing his knee. Interesting that Terry called Newman an inside-type player.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:26:54 PM »
A mate of mine had a chat to Terry the other day and he said that Tuck has really surprised him so far.  Terry said that Tuck was BOG at Morwell by a country mile.  He also said that after watching the replay of tape of the the collingwood wiz game, he thought to himself that we might just have a player here and was very impressed with his stoppage play.  He hadn't seen him play last year. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Ox

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 08:40:35 PM »
Been trying to tell u carnts.....

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 09:05:47 PM »
LOL, I'm one of the sceptics on Tuck but I do hope he makes it.

I always thought he had ball getting ability but lacked vision and footy smarts. I'll hold off a solid opinion on him till I see him in the real stuff for a few games.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 05:52:50 PM »
As I said in my season preview I am fan of the kid but unfortunately (and this is highlighted in the article) watching him last season it was hard to guage whether he was worth persisting with. Having said that it is important to stress he didn't get the opportunities he deserved - I always felt at least he wasn't one of the coaches favourites :help which puts you behind the "eight ball" before you begin

The other thing is although his surname may have possibly helped keep him on the list it may have worked against him with all of us old enough to remember his old man thinking he was going to be just like his old man.

I hope he makes it because he works bloody hard and is a tough nut :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 03:10:40 AM »
Having said that it is important to stress he didn't get the opportunities he deserved - I always felt at least he wasn't one of the coaches favourites :help which puts you behind the "eight ball" before you begin

He must have parked in Spud's car space as I couldn't think of any other logicial reason why he couldn't get a game. We'd be getting flogged again with the same culprits stuffing up and Tuck would be in the best Coburg players most weeks yet he was continually snubbed by our former coach  ::).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers turn Tuck into tough midfielder
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 03:07:06 AM »
Tigers turn discard into tough midfielder
09 March 2005   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

SHANE Tuck is poised to complete a stunning rise by muscling his way into Richmond's starting midfield for Round 1.

It is understood the son of Hawthorn legend Michael Tuck has already been inked in as the man to add bite to the Tigers' centre square set-up.

If the Tigers were voting on a pre-season best-and-fairest, the 23-year-old would be a clear leader.

Tuck, who managed only three games under Danny Frawley last year, was discarded by the Hawks after two injury-riddled years on the rookie list.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace conceded yesterday Tuck wasn't too far away from being cut again at the end of last year.

Now the buzz at Punt Rd is the club could have something special on its hands.

"He's playing really good footy. He's certainly been in our best few players over the past few weeks – certainly in the Essendon game and the Fremantle game," Wallace said.

"He'll get the opportunity to play on-ball in his own right again at the weekend.

"The reality is, the first game is only a couple of weeks away so he looks more than likely to step in for Round 1."

Wallace is hoping the addition of Tuck and Mark Coughlan will add steel to his line-up.

At 188cm and 89kg, Tuck is a jumbo-sized midfielder. He has his famous father's height, but a completely different frame.

"We need to make sure we can strengthen up. In Coughlan and Tuck we've got someone who can do that," Wallace said.

"He (Tuck) goes in, wins his own footy and kicks it 55-60m when he gets hold of it.

"He's big and strong enough that he can win the ball inside the pack and be physically strong enough to get boot to ball in some tough situations."

Tuck was taken at No. 73 in the 2003 draft. General opinion is he went so low because of wonky kicking and poor decision-making.

But Wallace has seen little evidence of those problems over summer.

"We're very, very happy to have him," Wallace said.

"He probably would have been one of the last ones on our list come the end of last year, but I just thought there was something there."

Wallace, who played alongside Michael Tuck and changed alongside him in the locker-room, said family history had a bearing on his call.

"Tucky played a lot of reserves footy before he made it. That was in the back of my mind. If you know the history of the family, you take that into account," he said. "All we've done is given him his opportunity and he's grabbed it."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12488348%255E19771,00.html

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 04:27:25 AM »
If Tuck can play a Mitch Hahn type role in the midfield for us that would be fantastic.

Hope he's not a February champion/media hype job.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 04:17:28 PM »
Tucky's never played close to a full AFL season so it's going to be a big ask of him to perform the way he has in the pre-season until August/September. Rotating him in and out of the midfield is going to be very important.

Quote from: JohnF
Hope he's not a February champion/media hype job.

Houlihan in 2002 :help