Author Topic: Draft Pick or Brent Moloney  (Read 1164 times)

Bulluss

Draft Pick or Brent Moloney
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:17:04 PM »
At the time when the Ottens deal was going through the process of being completed, i was one who thought we should have kept Melbourne out of the deal and taken Geelong's first pick and Brent Moloney.

I still believe that this is what we should have done and Moloney's early form this pre-season has shown what a good tough midfielder that he is.

What are peoples thought?

I am not sure which of the two picks(12 & 16) was originally Geelong's. i think it was 16, but will Pattison or Meyer be better players than Moloney?

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Draft Pick or Brent Moloney
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 02:54:03 PM »
I think we did the right thing and went for the picks, we got another youngster that can grow with our other youngsters and i'm confident both Meyer and Paterson will turn out to be alright.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 05:07:42 PM »
Pick 12 came from the Dees who got Moloney so in 5 years time the success of the deal will be judged on how well Meyer ends up being compared to Moloney. Pick 16 (Pattison) came from the Cats. The other thing to consider is Moloney was a Dees supporter as a kid so he may have only agreed to change clubs based on that. If we went only through the Cats then the Ottens deal mightn't have gone through if Moloney didn't want to go to Tigerland.

Overall I'm happy with the trades we did and happy with a policy of trading for high draft picks and bringing our own kids through together. Much prefer that to bypassing or worse still giving up good picks for players from other clubs. We may miss out on one along the way (Agree Bull. Moloney is a good footballer) but in the long run we'll come out on top.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 05:29:43 PM »
Depends on 3-4 years time who is better out of Molony and Meyer.  it is quite obvious that Meyer has Knights like awareness and composure, something that cannot be taught.  However he is currently an 18 year old going on 15 in terms of body size.  Give him time to develop his body and his natural football ability will come through.  Whether he'll be a better player than Molony is another question.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 07:10:28 AM »
Its a tough one.  Moloney looks excellent.
Meyer should be good.

But gee, you'd be pretty angry as a Cats supporter at the moment

Herald Sun headline - Cats go from Brad to worse....... :o

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 05:03:49 PM »
I'm just glad we got rid of Ottens  :lol Nothing worse than having a Philippoussis in your side.

Hopefully Meyer comes good.

I'm iffy on Maloney.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 01:15:51 AM »
Herald Sun headline - Cats go from Brad to worse....... :o

:lol

As long as we don't put the likes of Ottens and Kingsley into form like we did with Ben Graham  ::)  :banghead I'll be happy.

If we're winning I hope the old classic chant of "what a waste of money" is heard around the 'G  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd