Author Topic: Look out below (Age)  (Read 1205 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Look out below (Age)
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:17:13 AM »
Look out below
Matthew Lloyd
September 4, 2011

TODAY we will see the curtain close on the nine teams which failed to qualify for the 2011 finals series. Finals are what the game is all about and what every footballer plays for. It is an empty feeling for those who miss out.

Despite the disappointment there are still lessons to be learnt. Here's my assessment of the clubs that failed to make an impact this season.

Richmond

Competitive start to the season and a brilliant finish but the Tigers went AWOL for the middle part of the season, winning once between round 10 and round 20. Losses to Port Adelaide and Gold Coast were really poor performances. Lacking a ruck and key defender but their young top-end talent is first class. Trent Cotchin is getting better by the week and looks to be captaincy material while Brett Deledio and Dustin Martin are super players. Tyrone Vickery has also been really impressive. The depth of their list is the major issue and they will continue to turn over players. Should threaten the eight next year but I think they are still a year off.

Read more - about the other bottom clubs at: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/look-out-below-20110903-1jrgm.html#ixzz1WuHW0aMz

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Look out below (Age)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:52:36 AM »
Did anyone else notice how vacuous an assessment Lloyd's was for most teams.  I think he left his other brain cell asleep when he wrote (or probably ghost wrote) that article.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Look out below (Age)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »
Lloyd gave us a fair and true assessment there.
I feel we could still be another year off finals unless we can stop these long run off loses we have in seasons.