Author Topic: Tigers season review (Foxsports)  (Read 2424 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers season review (Foxsports)
« on: September 23, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
TIGERS SEASON REVIEW

Richmond again provided glimpses of their potential in 2011, but Damien Hardwick will be far from content with his second season at the helm.

A return of eight wins was just two more than 2010 and it took a purple patch in the last month of the season for the Tigers to convince fans of progress.

Importantly, the players seem to have unconditional belief in Hardwick's game plan. 'Dimma' is a hugely popular figure at Tigerland, but still commands the respect of his charges.

And he's got some rippers. Trent Cotchin finally shook off his run of injuries to become the elite midfielder we all knew he would, Dustin Martin was devastating early and Robin Nahas, Ty Vickery, Jake King and Alex Rance took strides in the right direction.

Jack Riewoldt battled injury throughout and still managed to kick 62 goals. He'll be better next year.

The Tigers' best and worst remain poles apart, but at least their deficiencies are obvious. They need a key defender or two and a ready-made ruckman and look set to chase them during trade week.

Will 2012 be the year that Richmond finally emerge as a top-eight contender?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/on-the-mark-is-back-for-the-preliminary-finals-didak-primed-for-big-stage-goddard-happy-at-saints/story-fn8thmk1-1226144330230?from=public_rss

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers season review (Foxsports)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
pretty accurate review

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »
what are everyone's thoughts on Dimma getting a contract extension before the season begins.

I think he has the done the most he could do with a few mistakes along the way but im against any contract extension until the season has begun.

The Eagles have today signed Worsfold up for another 2 until the end of 2013.

Its not as if we should be worried another club will pounce on him so whats the rush
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:08:33 PM »
what are everyone's thoughts on Dimma getting a contract extension before the season begins.

I think he has the done the most he could do with a few mistakes along the way but im against any contract extension until the season has begun.

Its not as if we should be worried another club will pounce on him so whats the rush

I understand why they are likely to do it i.e. believing it will take the media pressure off, not wanting a circus all season like we had in 2011 with other coaches coming off contract (Eade, Clarkson etc) but I certainly don't agree with it

But I can actually see it back firing and adding more pressure if we have a poor start to the season - media love stuff like that, ditto impatient supporters  ;D

Don't see the need to be honest

Agree with you daniel - what's the rush
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »
No rush.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »

I understand why they are likely to do it i.e. believing it will take the media pressure off, not wanting a circus all season like we had in 2011 with other coaches coming off contract (Eade, Clarkson etc) but I certainly don't agree with it

But I can actually see it back firing and adding more pressure if we have a poor start to the season - media love stuff like that, ditto impatient supporters  ;D

Don't see the need to be honest

Agree with you daniel - what's the rush

Thats all good and well re: pressure but where does it stop

Get rid of rd 1 in fear of pressure on the club if we lose

Stuff the media. im sure Woosha copped it all Summer over there in the West and what did they do. Nothing till now!!

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
The club feel they are finally united from board to player, and feel that Dimma is doing everything asked of him. If we were to not win a game for the first half of the year, I don't believe that resolve would falter. The club keeps stating that they have a long term plan and they will not deviate from it. With a new coach, that would certainly change.

I can't see any harm in extending Dimma's contract. If he he doing everything right by the club and players then why won't you want to continue that stability. This is not like the TW days where you had various elements of the club poles apart. This is exactly what we have been screaming for for decades - building from the ground up both on and off the field.

Answer me this - what could cause the club to sack Dimma next year other than the complete inprobable (ie decides to become the new Australian Soccer coach, marry a tranny and move to LA, etc you get the point ;D). I just think it makes sense to keep the road ahead as smooth, consistent and stable as possible and avoiding negative media spotlight is a bonus for players, admin and coaches alike - not just for Dimma.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »
Some good points from stripes
I think we flew under the radar this season with all the crap that was going on with dean bailey, malthouse, neil craig, tom scully, callan ward, dees record loss, pies contract talks and don't forgot st kilda were coppin a beating once a week lol. etc etc
We would want to review his contract and do the right thing by club, coach players and supporters, we don't need unwanted intreruptions as we will already have pressure of trying to make finals and deledio contract talks..
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
I think I completely agree with stripes. I quite honestly understand and accept both points of view but i'm leaning more towards getting his extension done early and out of the way so he can concentrate on coaching. He has cleaned house like everyone has wanted for years and he has been a positive for the club since day one. I feel as if he is only finally just now getting started after installing some of his choice coaches and trimming the list to mould it to suit his vision. I have absolute faith in the man.

In Dimma we trust :p

gerkin greg

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »
decides to become the new Australian Soccer coach, marry a tranny and move to LA

You been reading my unauthorised biography Stripes?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 01:27:01 PM »
decides to become the new Australian Soccer coach, marry a tranny and move to LA

You been reading my unauthorised biography Stripes?

I get all my best material from there  :lol