Author Topic: 2005 looking up for Gas  (Read 1320 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
2005 looking up for Gas
« on: March 10, 2005, 12:54:48 PM »
2005 looking up for Gaspar

11:50:46 AM Thu 10 March, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

By any standards 2004 was Darren Gaspar's "annus horribilis."

The dual All-Australian defender was reduced to a shadow of his old self as his form and that of his club disintegrated to the point where the Tigers lost their last 14 games to collect their first wooden spoon since 1989 and Gaspar was dropped to the reserves.

But as the 2005 home and away season fast approaches, the 28-year-old is finally fully recovered from the knee injury he sustained midway through the 2003 season and ready to reclaim his mantle as one of the AFL's best key defenders.

"I think I can play consistent footy and I am looking forward to a good year," Gaspar said in an exclusive interview.

Gaspar also revealed the difficulties he played under in 2004 when he wore the brunt of criticism for the Tigers' horrendous season, which by season's end had seen Danny Frawley replaced as coach by Terry Wallace.

The 195 game veteran admits he returned to senior action too quickly, at the start of the 2004 season barely eight months after undergoing a knee re-construction in the middle of the 2003 season.

And as a result one of the toughest jobs in football - minding the likes of Essendon's Matthew Lloyd and Melbourne's David Neitz - became virtually impossible.

"I wouldn’t say I was forced to come back (too early), I wanted to play as soon as possible," he said of last year's comeback from knee surgery.

"It was a challenge but in hindsight, with the side playing poorly, it made it a lot harder job and the knee didn’t go as well as what I would have liked so the forces were against me last year."

Gaspar found that because his knee had not fully recovered, he was unable to get into the positions needed to successfully negate the opposition's best forward, as he did so regularly in 2001 when the Tigers reached the preliminary final.

"I had no power to change direction and accelerate," he said.

"I lost a lot of power in my legs and I just started to slow up and struggle."

"But it (his knee) has come up a lot better this year and I am running a lot quicker."

Gaspar admitted he found the criticism of his performances and being dropped difficult to take last year.

"It's not much fun when you are doing everything you can and nothing responds," he said.

"I didn’t like it (the criticism) but I just kept on telling myself I was doing everything right and a lot of things were out of my control."

But after a full pre-season this year and the excitement generated by new coach Wallace and a host of new recruits, Gaspar can hardly wait for 2005 to start.

"Both on a personal level and obviously the team as well, it's looking better so it's pretty exciting," he said.

"On a personal level I have had the full 12 months to get over the knee now and I've had a good pre-season and a few practice games - which I didn’t have last year - so it looks a lot more promising."

"I am just looking forward to getting out there now and play consistent football and I have no doubt the side will play better so I am looking forward to playing in more wins."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=189477
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: 2005 looking up for Gas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 12:59:14 PM »
Gaspar found that because his knee had not fully recovered, he was unable to get into the positions needed to successfully negate the opposition's best forward, as he did so regularly in 2001 when the Tigers reached the preliminary final.

"I had no power to change direction and accelerate," he said.

"I lost a lot of power in my legs and I just started to slow up and struggle."

Hmmm...

a lesson learnt for the future I hope (read David Rodan) no early comebacks from Knee Recos. :banghead :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 06:54:48 PM »
Agree WP. We haven't much luck with blokes returning to their pre-knee selves in recent times :( - Dragga and Holland spring to mind along with Gas last year.

Good to see Gas is/was aware of what he needed to do to get himself right in terms of increasing the strength and power in his legs after coming back from a knee. That's at least a start. His form this year will depend on how much pace he has regained to reach contests as he always has relied on his superior judgement of the flight of the ball to beat his direct opponent in the air. He basically had none of that last year and was frankly useless most of the time. How he was allowed to play 19 games is unbelievable but that was Spud for you  ???.

We'll still have to rely on others to generate the run out of defence but what we need from Gas is to try and nullify a forward like he did before he did his knee. Over time we will need to develop from our youngster pool a more attacking and skillful full-back who can run off the forwards as this is where modern footy is heading. This type of FB would also better suit Wallace's gameplan.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 08:24:20 PM »
Good to see Gas is/was aware of what he needed to do to get himself right in terms of increasing the strength and power in his legs after coming back from a knee. That's at least a start.

That was one thing I noticed in the Wizz Fizzer match against the Pies and then again at the Morwell Practice match that Gas does seem to have regained the ablilty to change direction quickly - which is pleasing. I don't think he was regained all his pace and doubt that he will but the direction/movement is a definite improvement. We will get a another glimpse this weekend against Brissy - hopeful there will be more improvement

As for reading the play I think you can make an arguement that having absolutely no confidence in 2004 contributed to his inability to read the play like he did in 2001.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 04:53:28 PM »
As for reading the play I think you can make an arguement that having absolutely no confidence in 2004 contributed to his inability to read the play like he did in 2001.

Fair point WP. His knee injury meant physcially he just couldn't do what was required. A bit like Cambo with his calf and achillies :(.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd