Author Topic: Where do we need to improve for 2012?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Where do we need to improve for 2012?
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
This is a poll on the RFC website:

Where do we need to improve for 2012 - Backline, Midfield, Forward, Rucks or Depth?

tony_montana

Re: Where do we need to improve for 2012?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
all of the above - and above all all players must learn to run just as heard the other way - otherwise the backline will always be under the pump regardless of personel

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
all of the above - and above all all players must learn to run just as heard the other way - otherwise the backline will always be under the pump regardless of personel

I agree. Currently we don't have the luxury of picking and choosing what end of the field we need to improve. We just need to improve over parts of the ground still.

Offline Bernie

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
Why can't I choose all of the above?  Perhaps we should be asked, where do we excel?  And the answer is.........?

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »
Need a competitive ruckman in the centre square and around the ground.
Give our blokes first use of the ball. Need to get our contested ball up in this area next year.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
Well rucks...derr that should be a given...

Backs for mine, should be our main focus, decent mids can rove to opposition rucks and we have and will have a very good midfield next year.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »
Maybe so WAT but we are struggling in that area.
At least right now on our list we have a few decent defenders we have no AFL standard ruckman IMHO.
A decent ruckman even a half decent ruckman can help. I just look at St Kilda under Grant Thomas with the midfield they had and what a decent ruckman could have done for them.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
and above all all players must learn to run just as hard the other way

Ain't that the truth!   :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
Maybe so WAT but we are struggling in that area.
At least right now on our list we have a few decent defenders we have no AFL standard ruckman IMHO.
A decent ruckman even a half decent ruckman can help. I just look at St Kilda under Grant Thomas with the midfield they had and what a decent ruckman could have done for them.

Yep agree TB, Ruck for sure, compared to the rest of the AFL though I dont think we have the depth down back.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
Depth need to improve our depth across the ground so all of the above  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »
The ruck is the obvious area but following this I would suggest we need more quality midfielders. I think our forwardline is one of strongest areas now (though another small defensive crumber would be great) and our backline has promise but our midfield lack quality depth. Once you take out our from liners (Cotch, Martin and perhaps Foley), we drop away quickly in terms of class and talent.

I'm hoping Lids is repositioned into the midfield rotations which would automatically add quality depth to the midfield. I have high hopes for Conca and Helbig could add depth in time but I feel to be competitive with the best sides we need to inject more high end talent into the engine room. The only way I can see this happening is via the draft for a star midfielder would cost the club too much.

Anyway, just hope we can secure a 1st ruckman to feed the midfield this year but otherwise next year, when Free Trade arrives, will be our best opportunity to secure a 25 year old star ruckman and perhaps some midfield depth.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »
Depth for mine. Our list outside the top half-dozen or so is still very thin on elite talent that we need to be able to contest finals.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
I agree with all the above, and especially the obvious ruckman. I noticed often when we'd work so hard for a goal, often we'd let the opposition reply too easily. But I guess Ross is here now to help address that. Now that I think of it, defense is pretty key all around the ground in my opinion. Just from what I saw and how I interpreted it anyway. Everything from our actual back 6, to our forwards applying defensive pressure to lock the ball in our 50, and to our mids when the ball starts going the other way.

Offline Absolut Tigers

• Future Richmond star
  • Oh we're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:56 PM »
we need to work out how to apply the forward press, without a turnover resulting in an easy goal to the opposition. In our last few rounds of the year we "bled" goals when we turned it over e.g., North

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 09:31:37 PM »
It's coming...