Author Topic: Rookie list  (Read 3277 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rookie list
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »
Interesting to see what we do in the rookie draft given we've got a clean slate to work with now. Obviously one or two ex-rookies like Contin may get another chance if they train well over summer but with up to 8 spots to fill are we going all with young kids who are overlooked in the draft and try to find in time one or two who will make it at AFL level or will we go with more ready-made state league players in their early-mid 20s?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rookie list
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:27 PM »
A little bit of Column A, a little bit of Column B.  But I do think that Contin and Nason are 2 who will get offered rookie spots.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »
it is interesting, I feel our coaches have a better view of the type of players required and we will see a real influx of NEW players onto the list with 3-4 ND selections and is it 5 rookie places, looks like 8 or so new faces...i wouldnt bet on contin or Nason securing a spot
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Balmyarmy

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:56:37 PM »
I reckon nason is too small for afl so don't see him making it back as a rookie. Would like to see Mitch farmer as bit of insurance as well as miller if not kept on the seniors list. The rest should be kids including a project ruckman.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
Would like to see Mitch farmer as bit of insurance
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Offline Balmyarmy

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:59:58 PM »
Would like to see Mitch farmer as bit of insurance
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!

My opinion.  Would much prefer him over Contin or Nason

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 12:14:03 AM »
Miller will be a rookie in 2012. We will have minimum 3 draft picks (inc. PSD) Plus 7 rookies (inc. Heslin) plus Maric and Morris. 12 new players. Still a fairly big influx of new players.

Think there will be a few 20-21 year old state-leaguers picked up.

Personal faves: Kyal Horsley WA mid with elite skills. Mat Suckling a bull at a gate inside mid also with very good skills. Suckling is 22, Horsley 23. Both seem types that fit our kicking mantra that we'd look at. Horsley is probably more a pick 55 option. Kory Beard as a 21/22yo KPD another from SA. The rest fill up with young kids that missed out.

Suckling and Horsley are ready to go with good skills and fit our age group nicely.

gerkin greg

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »
FEAR THE BEARD

Get it done Tiges

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »

it is interesting, I feel our coaches have a better view of the type of players required and we will see a real influx of NEW players onto the list with 3-4 ND selections and is it 5 rookie places, looks like 8 or so new faces...i wouldnt bet on contin or Nason securing a spot

i think your right BJ

what i heard yesterday is no rookies will be given another go. Miller the exception
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »
Would not be suprised to see them load up on 'mature age rookies' from the WAFL and SANFL. 21-24 years of age.

dwaino

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
Would not be suprised to see them load up on 'mature age rookies' from the WAFL and SANFL. 21-24 years of age.

Didn't they say in a news letter about mid-year they would be doing just that?

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »

Didn't they say in a news letter about mid-year they would be doing just that?
Hope so, sounding good.. only time will tell
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »

yep, Id suggest that might be in order, dunno about load right up but 2-3 might be the go. Another point is that most clubs look as though they are only making minor changes to their lists , preparing for the super draft of 2012 where they are likely to undertake more severe pruning of lists. this means the available talent isnt likely to be plundered and there is every chance of a few nuggets amongst the leftovers, thems the plan anyway for mine :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

dwaino

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 11:59:52 PM »
I remember reading it a while back so I had to go dig it out. This is from July

The Tigers also will continue to scour state leagues throughout Australia for suitable players, who can help bolster their depth of talent.

“Given the relative shallowness of this year’s draft pool, our recruiters have spent a lot of time looking at various state leagues (VFL, SANFL & WAFL), to find potential mature-aged players,” Cameron said.

“If there are any there they consider of AFL quality, I’m sure we will draft some.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/118375/default.aspx

Offline tigtuff12

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »
....think it will (and should be) a decent mix of a couple of young kids who might've previously been overlooked in draft & also some slightly more mature age guys who have busted their guts in state league...if we aim for that 21 - 25 year age then they still have the time to grow with our main group & you hope that they have an increased desire to make it at afl level...

...also agree that there are no guarantees of "ex" rookies getting another crack...gotta lose the sentiment and if they are not up to it then push on with someone else...add another 8 - 12 new faces this year & we have really continued to prune and turn over the list...then, get ready for the super draft of 2012 with a clear focus of needs/wants...
...the fighting fury...