Author Topic: Tigers ditch Darwin  (Read 5165 times)

tony_montana

Re: Tigers ditch Darwin
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 12:58:53 AM »
I'm really annoyed at this decision

Why tony_m?

Crap decision for mine as well. If it was a commercially sound decision to play there then that should still be the case now.

Smacks of popularity over prudence for mine.

spot on TBR - thats 500k that would be going into the footy department whether it be high performance, extra coaches or whatever - winning or losing 1 game in 2012 by a side that is at best going to struggle to play finals is not going to determine whether or not we win a premiership... and last I checked we were still about 3.5-4mill in debt.

Bite the bullet, one more game FFS... and in the process we gift the pathetic cheating melbourne football club a 500k freebie, basically allowing them to get away with spending beyond their means.

In a nutshell we caved - this club hasnt changed and will flip flop and panic under duress, you can put lipstick on a pig but in the end shes still a pig...

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Crap decision for mine as well. If it was a commercially sound decision to play there then that should still be the case now.

Smacks of popularity over prudence for mine.

Agree with you TBR.  As this year, it wouldn't have made any difference to our ladder position in 2012 but the extra $$$s would've made a big difference to our FTF position.  Don't like that we ditched it the moment we got some extra unexpected funds - imho we have just reduced the value of our Equalisation Fund windfall by $500k and it is certainly going to rub against the grain when they come calling next year for donations, raffles etc in the 2nd phase of FTF.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:02 AM »
Cant see why we just didnt stick around for the extra 500k. Is money growing on trees at Punt Rd or something?

Gigantor

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
Maybe the club feels it can make up the 500,000 through extra sponsorship this year,or other revenue raising

tony_montana

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »
Maybe the club feels it can make up the 500,000 through extra sponsorship this year,or other revenue raising

what do you mean 'extra' gigantor? isnt this 500k they have turned their back on 'extra'?  ;D

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
I heard mention a number of times that we have "on sold" this home game to Melbourne.

I wonder how much we sold it for?

It wont be the full $500k that we miss out on
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »

what do you mean 'extra' gigantor? isnt this 500k they have turned their back on 'extra'?  ;D

No I dont see it that way tony_m

The $500k was not an extra - it was a neccessity in a bunsiness sense

The selling of homes games in 2011 to me at least was a way for the club to recover the "nett profit" we made from the Royal Oak that we lost (ie no longer has) when that scum Mathieson signed over the pokie leases to Carlton.

As I've said previously I don't like the club selling games, in principle I am totally against it but I certainly understood why they did it and from a purely business (read bottomline) perspective the selling of the games in 2011 was the right thing for the club.

I have to say I really surprised they gave up the guarantee of $500k with no guarantee we will make the same $$$ with the game being in Melb especially in light of the fact the game will proabably end up at Etihad.

remembering suggestions already are that we are likely to get 8 MCG home games & 2 at Etihad
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:54:14 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »
The more I think about this the more it annoys me.

Not many easier ways to tip 500 gorillas in than this.

Does a young side no harm in playing away and coming to terms with winning on the road either.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »
The more I think about this the more it annoys me.

Not many easier ways to tip 500 gorillas in than this.

Does a young side no harm in playing away and coming to terms with winning on the road either.

Have to say part of me is rapt we've given the game the flick and the game's coming back to Melb

But there's a part of me is disappointed as I was looking forward to going up there again, would have been happier to give Cairns the flick.

Actually from a business sense keeping the Darwin game made more sense with the club links to the NT via its community programs 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »
It seems as thouhg a few on here are just taking every opportunity to take pot shots at the club these days. Hardwick, Gale, Cameron etc. have made mistakes, and they will continue to make them. They are human. But i would argue that they represent the most committed, respected and transparent administration  we have had at Punt Road in a long time.
Plenty of positives have come out of their work in the last couple of years as they try and drag this club out of the pooer.

They deserve to be cut some slack. And im not trying to say that they are above criticism. i just think the negativity being bandied around this forum at the moment is out of whack.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »
who are you poking your Willy at?

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »
Just commenting on the general vibe of the forum, D-Rod.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
;D

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
Personally good, logically not so good, should have stuck with it! bite the bullet now while we are building and give ourselves a decent future/shot down the track. :huh

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
LMFAO at some of the hypocrites posting here :lol :lol
Lust have a quick troll back through this thread and you will soon work out who you are :wallywink :wallywink
 http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=13186.255