Author Topic: Living on the Edge - Jake King interview (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3217 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Living on the Edge - Jake King interview (Herald-Sun)
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »

http://yfrog.com/h649uvej

Jack Riewoldt on twitter has got - "Looks like their doing #short stories in the herald sun now.... #pushup #angrymidget"  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Living on the Edge - Jake King interview (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »
Here's the article....

Jake King's selection for International Rules a reward for years of hard work

by: Glenn McFarlane
    October 23, 2011

SIX years ago Jake King was playing for North Heidelberg in the rough and tumble of the Northern Football League.

In five days, the hard-working, hard-nosed Richmond forward will play for his country.

It's a nice reward for what King has achieved in that time, first in getting a chance to play in the AFL, and then grasping on for dear life with a determination and commitment to the team that he carries each time he takes the field.

"I was just talking to my brother and my stepdad about it and they were saying that it wasn't long ago I was playing local footy and now all of a sudden I will be representing my country," King said.

"To be selected for Australia, it means so much considering where I have come from. I never expected to get this far or achieve what I have."

Coming off his best season, King was surprised and elated to receive the call-up to play in the International Rules series against Ireland, starting at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

Add in the fact he has a new two-year deal with the Tigers, and things could hardly be better for the 27-year-old.

But don't expect him to rest on his laurels. He knows how hard he has to work to keep his AFL dream alive, and he is also being driven by the desire to help Richmond reach the finals, and one day challenge for the flag.

"I am just one of those players who thinks, 'If I don't get a kick this week, I won't play', hence the reason that I play on the edge," King said.

"I believe I need to give it 100 per cent and do all the extra team things, and as long as I do that, I will get a game. If I stop doing that, I will be on my way out."

King knows he plays his best football on the edge. But he said Richmond coach Damien Hardwick and his long-time mentor, former North Melbourne star Glenn Archer, have offered plenty of advice on how to straddle the line but not cross it.

"Damien and I have a really good understanding," King said. "If I screw up, he is the first to tell me. He will try to tweak a lot of things for me, instead of trying to change it.

"If you change, you go away from your natural game, and I think he just wants me to play with some flair, but to not cross the line.

"There is a fine line, and I've been lucky enough that 'Arch' has mentored me ever since I got into the AFL. He played with spark and flair and he has taught me a trick or two about trying to control it."

King was controversially suspended for a sling tackle on Adelaide's Andy Otten in Round 23 this year, being cited only after the normal AFL cut-off point following information from the Crows.

It cost King "a sizeable amount" of money because he had a 20-game clause in his contract, and the fact he missed the Tigers' Round 24 game meant his season amounted to 19 games.

King was "pretty s-----" about it, but it had more to do with the fact he will also miss Round 1 next year.

"I wouldn't do it, and I am pretty sure Richmond wouldn't do it (dob an opposition player in)," he said.

"But I'm not the sort of person to hold a grudge.

"It wasn't about the money. But I am much more disappointed in the fact I won't be playing in Round 1 next year, as it feels like I have let Damien Hardwick and the team down.

"I didn't actually realise about the money until about a week after it happened. I remember thinking about it, and then joking to Damien and Craig Cameron (Richmond football manager) they might have dobbed me in to save some money."

As for playing for Australia, King can't wait, starting with today's first meeting of the team. He has always been a fan of the series, and recalls two of the famous moments.

"One of them was Crawf (Shane Crawford) standing on the goalpost celebrating after the Aussies had won, and the other was Chrissy Johnson going berserk a few years ago," he said.

"I think it shows just what it means to the boys to play for Australia, and I can't wait to experience it."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jake-kings-selection-for-international-rules-a-reward-for-years-of-hard-work/story-e6frf9jf-1226173904514

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »
Average player at best, being on the list indicates we have a ways to go/
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:46:18 AM »

Correct, also most of the ''elite"' AFL Players are overseas or away, thus there not playing

TigerTimeII

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:55:56 AM »

Correct, also most of the ''elite"' AFL Players are overseas or away, thus there not playing

maybe u should put a guernsey on and play, you are so great at everything you will single handedly get us 6 straight flags

jake king must be commended to get to where he is and he is an important player in our fwd structure and all he needs to do now is be more consistant, he is not as good but has the paul chapman about him, just chappy is more consistant and has a bigger tank

eff u guys have no idea, sure he is no top line playerbut he is a great team player and good for the boys

u have nfi

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:17:29 AM »
Nothing wrong with the article, nothing saying anything that isn't truth or reality but some posters will use every single media article about our club as an excuse to have a crack.  FWIW, I reckon that King would get a game at many other clubs and if Andy Krakouer can play in a grand final then the Jake King's of the football world most certainly can too.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »
agree with username.  Kingy plays good football and has worked his arse to keep the dream alive.
Lots of people name their swords......

TigerTimeII

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
agree with username.  Kingy plays good football and has worked his behind to keep the dream alive.

yep its easy to see that owl, just some postrs here have their heads so far up their own clackers all they believe in is what they see, their own crud!!

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »
maybe u should put a guernsey on and play, you are so great at everything you will single handedly get us 6 straight flags

jake king must be commended to get to where he is and he is an important player in our fwd structure and all he needs to do now is be more consistant, he is not as good but has the paul chapman about him, just chappy is more consistant and has a bigger tank

eff u guys have no idea, sure he is no top line playerbut he is a great team player and good for the boys

u have nfi

Not sure you can say anyone has nfi when you have just compared King to Paul Chapman.

If Chapman is Melbourne then King is Darwin and that is probably pretty harsh on Chapman.

Chapman is a 3 time premiership player, Norm Smith medallist and multiple All Australian. King is 3 bad games away from being out of the side and finishing his career as a VFL player.

Gerks 27/6/11

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »
I'd take chapman over king any day, yet i left Melbourne and now live in Darwin  :P
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
I'd take chapman over king any day, yet i left Melbourne and now live in Darwin  :P

Distance analogy Al, so we can reverse it if you like.  :cheers

Gerks 27/6/11

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »

So are you saying you were as good as King or Chapman in your heyday?   :huh   ;D

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »
what do mean were?

Nearly 20 years out of the game and i still showed em both up in my comeback season.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »
what do mean were?

Nearly 20 years out of the game and i still showed em both up in my comeback season.

:lol   :clapping

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
The big man is back.