Author Topic: Thursfield retires [merged]  (Read 5789 times)

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
Re: Thursfield retires [merged]
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 09:04:05 PM »
Will appointed senior coach of Leongatha!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »
huh, so much for pursuing his landscaping business, clearly leongatha were into him for some time, we've been rodgered on this one boys :o
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

gerkin greg

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
 :lol

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »
No you've got it wrong bojangles! They were after a coach with a AFL profile and were having no luck. When Will retired they contacted him, I would find it hard to believe a country club could influence an AFL player to retire in todays day and age!

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 04:08:48 AM »
No you've got it wrong bojangles! They were after a coach with a AFL profile and were having no luck. When Will retired they contacted him, I would find it hard to believe a country club could influence an AFL player to retire in todays day and age!

Nup. You've got it wrong Sugars

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 08:18:19 AM »

well believe it, they just did, must have been one heck of a contract :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »
eff me he is actually serious here

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 08:33:26 AM »

well believe it, they just did, must have been one heck of a contract :shh

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ex-Tiger Thursfield escapes AFL cage, more at home in the 'wild' (I.F.)
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
Ex-Tiger escapes AFL cage, more at home in the 'wild'
By Phil McLeod
Inside Football
April 11, 2012

Country footballers dream about moving to the big smoke to play in the AFL.

But for former Richmond defender Will Thursfield, who was struggling to cope with the constant demands of playing at the elite level, it was the country that provided his salvation.

Thursfield's is a rare story. After 77 senior games he had established his AFL career and was still a required player for the Tigers this season.

Yet he turned his back on a life that countless other aspiring footballers around Australia would give anything to have.

However, the 25-year-old, who is now the player-coach of the Leongatha Parrots in the Gippsland League, says he has no regrets.

"I grew up in the city, but I'm a country guy at heart," Thursfield said.

"I love getting out of town and saw it (playing in the country) as a natural progression; it's something I've always wanted to do.

"I was mentally burnt out (in the AFL) … 10 months of the year, almost six days a week of endless meetings, and the daily monotony.

"Some people love it, others find it hard, and I'd just had enough," he said.

"I enjoyed my time there (at Richmond), but felt I wouldn't mind going out on my own terms. And I have a growing landscape business to look after.

"I could have stayed there another year and who knows what might have happened."

The ex-Tiger is embracing his new challenge.

"It's my first crack at coaching and I've jumped in at the deep end a bit, but I've got some good people helping me out and that was one of the key things when I signed on," Thursfield said.

"I reckon I've got a bit to pass on and I'm loving it so far."

Thursfield said while he was working to make the club more professional in its approach, he also had to adjust to the country way life.

"The boys are mostly tradesmen or work in the rural area," he said.

"They come up after work, take their work boots off and put their footy boots on.

"They work hard the boys. They look stuffed when they come to training, but they put in as hard as anything.

"It's also about advising them on the smaller but important things, like being hydrated before training and games and about eating the right things. It's about making everything a little more professional."

The Parrots finished fourth on the ladder last year and Thursfield said they needed to strengthen their midfield if they were to go deep into the finals this season.

"We just want to be the tightest-knit group from player one to player 50," he said.

"I'm putting a big emphasis on everyone training together and doing all the hard work as one group and hopefully that translates into playing good team football.

"It's a pretty young group, but there are also some good older players so it's quite a good mix.

"We needed to increase our midfield depth and we've recruited with that in mind.

"We've also got a good full forward, which is important in country football, in Dwayne Holt who kicked 90 goals a few years ago."

The Parrots have another Richmond connection in Tas Clingan, who will be an assistant coach.

Clingan came off Richmond's rookie list three years ago and spent the previous two years playing with the Wangaratta Rovers in the Ovens and Murray League.

http://www.insidefootballonline.com/auswide.html