Author Topic: NAB Cup 2012  (Read 25512 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: NAB Cup 2012
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
I'm guessing that being the 'middle' team in round 1 out of Haw, Rich and North means we play the first 40 min game, then have an hour break while Haw play North, then return for the last game against North?

It was only two seasons ago we Flogged the Cats in a pre season Nab Challenge match ;D ;D :pray :pray
Yep at Yea when Relton Roberts got supporters excited in his first game in Y&B only for reality to hit during the season proper on both fronts lol.

I still remember being flogged down there in the 2007 NAB Cup when Wallace was microphoned up for the TV and Richo did his hammy  :P. The only positive might be that playing them down at the cattery in the preseason means we don't play them down there in the H/A season.

That's how i'd see it too. Means we can change our team for the 2nd match. Can effectively play the whole list in one night.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »
I'm guessing that being the 'middle' team in round 1 out of Haw, Rich and North means we play the first 40 min game, then have an hour break while Haw play North, then return for the last game against North?

It was only two seasons ago we Flogged the Cats in a pre season Nab Challenge match ;D ;D :pray :pray
Yep at Yea when Relton Roberts got supporters excited in his first game in Y&B only for reality to hit during the season proper on both fronts lol.

I still remember being flogged down there in the 2007 NAB Cup when Wallace was microphoned up for the TV and Richo did his hammy  :P. The only positive might be that playing them down at the cattery in the preseason means we don't play them down there in the H/A season.

That's how i'd see it too. Means we can change our team for the 2nd match. Can effectively play the whole list in one night.
We might as well play a full list over the two shorten matches at Etihad. Given our draw I can't see us taking the NAB Cup seriously with trips to Perth and Geelong. No way would you bother sticking your best players on a 3-hour plane flight and another 3 hours back just for a glorified practice match.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »
Adrian Anderson wants to bring in 12 points for a torpedo goal from outside 50m and a whole heap of other rule changes in the NAB Cup .......

TORPEDO goals from outside 50m worth 12 points and penalties for contact between opposing ruckmen at stoppages may be implemented as part of a series of proposed rule trials for the 2012 NAB Cup.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said the League is again seeking the input of football supporters through a survey on AFL.com.au as it considers how to differentiate the pre-season competition from its home and away counterpart and to experiment with rules that may benefit the game on a permanent basis.

Anderson said some of the potential trial rules on which feedback was being sought were:

* Interchange - two interchange players and two substitute players
* Boundary and goal umpires to pay holding and high contact free kicks
* Free kick against player who drags or holds ball under opponent
* Nine points for goals kicked from outside 50m (with player retaining the choice to kick from within 50m for six points if a 50m penalty is applied beyond the arc)
* Double points for a torpedo goal kicked from outside 50m
* Deliberate out of bounds to be decided by last kick/handball/walkover (a variation on 'last touch' from 2011)
* Ruckmen not permitted to make contact prior to field bounces and throw-ins
* Premiership season rules to apply for all last-round NAB Cup and Challenge matches

"The AFL will make a decision on any trial rules that will be used before the end of this year to see if we can continue to improve our game, and ensure we retain the great highlights of our game," Anderson said.

In recent years, the AFL has used the NAB Cup to preview innovations such as the revised ruck rule at centre bounces, the altered advantage rule, the player substitute rule and the rushed behind rule - all of which have since become part of the premiership season and the Laws of the Game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125627/default.aspx

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 07:46:41 PM »
Ruckmen not permitted to make contact prior to field bounces and throw-ins

Gus has friends in high places I see.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
New rules for NAB Cup (afl)
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
More rule changes from Adrian Anderson  :P

New rules for NAB Cup
afl.com.au
4:00 PM Thu 24 Nov, 2011

THE AFL will experiment with four new rules for next year's NAB Cup, including reducing the interchange to two players with two substitutes (rather than three interchange players and one sub).

The League on Thursday wrote to all clubs to confirm the trials that will be used, with AFL general manager football operations Adrian Anderson confirming the pre-season competition will continue to be used to trial rules that may provide some benefit for future use in the premiership season.

In recent years, successful trials have included the revised ruck rule at centre bounces, the new advantage rule, the interchange substitute rule and the deliberate rushed behind rule - all of which have since become part of the premiership season and the Laws of the Game.

The nine-point ‘NAB super goal’ for goals kicked from outside 50m, will continue to feature during the competition.

The other trial rules are as follows:

1. Interchange system with two interchange and two substitute players on the bench (will not be used in the final week of the NAB Cup)

The AFL will trial the use of two substitute players on the interchange. It has already been determined that the three interchange and one substitute player will remain in place for 2012 premiership season. In rounds two and three, when teams are playing four quarter matches, four new players may be introduced for the second half of each game.

2. Free kick against player who drags or holds ball under opponent

As an extension of the rule trialed in both the 2010 and 2011 NAB cups, the umpire may pay a free kick against a player who drags the ball under his opponent, and may also pay a free kick against a player who holds a ball under his opponent, when he is trying to knock it out.

3. Deliberate out of bounds

A free kick will be paid against the last team to dispose of the ball with a kick or a handball before it goes out of bounds, provided no-one else touches the ball before it goes out. A stricter version of the rule was in force last year, but it was felt the 'last touch' element was too harsh in certain situations, and this has been altered in 2012 to a last kick, last handball or a player walking the ball over the line.

4. Ruck contests at field bounces and throw-ins

Ruckmen will not be permitted to make contact with their opponent prior to bounces and throw-ins, with umpires ensuring the players do not make contact with each other until the ball leaves the umpire’s hand. The trial is designed to encourage ruckmen to contest the ball, rather than focus on nullifying their opponent, as well as making ruck contests easier to adjudicate.

In response to requests from clubs, the final round of the NAB Cup will be played with premiership season rules, to allow clubs sufficient preparation for round one, although the NAB Super Goal will still be a feature of the NAB Cup Grand Final.

In addition the trial rules, there will be two umpiring trials:

1. Boundary and goal umpires to pay free kicks for holding and high contact at stoppages

As an extension to the 2010 and 2011 NAB Cup trial, boundary and goal umpires may pay free kicks for obvious holding or high contact infringements. They will not pay any other form of free kick.

2. Official scorer is able to participate in consultation process for scoring decisions

As per the trial that was used in the 2011 NAB Cup, the official scorer would be able to participate in the consultation process for scoring decisions. If the trial is again successful, it may be introduced for the  regular season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126473/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:21 AM »
Just under a month now until the Tiges run out onto Etihad in the NAB Cup. Time flies doesn't it!

What is everyone's current thoughts and expectations on how we'll go against the Hawks and Roos in the shorter round robin first week? Do we play out best available 26 or whatever the number of allowed players is and build some winning momentum or do we experiment in this format and trial mostly a large number of youngsters before the real stuff starts in late March?

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: New rules for NAB Cup (afl)
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 03:51:18 AM »

4. Ruck contests at field bounces and throw-ins

Ruckmen will not be permitted to make contact with their opponent prior to bounces and throw-ins, with umpires ensuring the players do not make contact with each other until the ball leaves the umpire’s hand. The trial is designed to encourage ruckmen to contest the ball, rather than focus on nullifying their opponent, as well as making ruck contests easier to adjudicate.

What about 3rd man-up making contact - does that count ?
Can only a designated ruckman not make contact ?
Gone is the ball-up and hello to the tip-off !
These guys just do not understand ruck contests, so STFO !

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 04:28:44 AM »
My thoughts are, why the stuffing stuffing hell can't they stop stuffing with rules of this game. Even the NAB Cup, just leave it the stuff alone Anderson you fuckwitt... :banghead

BTW, could easily beat both teams if the Cats are not full strength, Dockers.....well, we usually play very well at Subi and against the Dorks, so should win that.

Our game plan would or at least should be imbedded in our players more than Lyons will be in the Dorks.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:19 AM »
Just under a month now until the Tiges run out onto Etihad in the NAB Cup. Time flies doesn't it!

What is everyone's current thoughts and expectations on how we'll go against the Hawks and Roos in the shorter round robin first week? Do we play out best available 26 or whatever the number of allowed players is and build some winning momentum or do we experiment in this format and trial mostly a large number of youngsters before the real stuff starts in late March?

I reckon they will play fair number of the squad for the round 1 "tri series" in the NB Cup and from there settle the team down based on performances. Lets be honest in the NAB Cup we have 3  good weeks of praccy games at good venues... results aren't important  ;D ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
I would normally agree with you Wilbur but our performances in the past several years has been poor and led into the regular season.

A good start to this year is critical and I think we need to start showing a much more competitive side in the pre season.
The way Collingwood toyed with us last year was embarrassing particularly given we had 4 weeks head start of pre season training.

Wherever we finish at the end of the year will be shaped by our first 6 weeks of the regular season so ore season should be a guide to how we are tracking
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »
I would normally agree with you Wilbur but our performances in the past several years has been poor and led into the regular season.

A good start to this year is critical and I think we need to start showing a much more competitive side in the pre season.
The way Collingwood toyed with us last year was embarrassing particularly given we had 4 weeks head start of pre season training.

Wherever we finish at the end of the year will be shaped by our first 6 weeks of the regular season so ore season should be a guide to how we are tracking

Fair points Y&B but when it's all said and done I'd rather win round 1 in the season proper than make the GF of the NAB cup.

Coupled with the likelihood that some of our players may not be ready to go for the first couple of rounds of the NAB cup (eg Reiwoldt). SO I can see them trialling a few players in the tri-round and perhaps round 2 of the NAB cup

And besides the last time we actually did well in the pre-season (GF -v- Port) we still ended up having a crap season so I suppose I am oneo f those who doesn't put much emphasis on NAB Cup results  ;D

dwaino

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Could be like the Bummer twits at work and carry on "any silverware is good."

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »
Order of the games for Round 1 of the NAB have been released

NAB Cup order released
By Nick Tedeschi
10:52 AM Mon 23 Jan, 2012

RICHMOND will take on North Melbourne in the first match of the NAB Cup on February 17 while the Greater Western Sydney will start its first season in the AFL in earnest a night later against the Western Bulldogs.

The AFL released the game order for each 2012 NAB Cup triple-headers on Wednesday with the Tigers and Kangaroos given the chance to showcase their wares first before each takes on Hawthorn at Etihad Stadium on February 17.......

2012 NAB Cup match order
February 17, Etihad Stadium from 6.45pm:

1/ Richmond v North Melbourne
2/North Melbourne v Hawthorn  :sleep :sleep

and 3/Richmond v Hawthorn

Full article:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128111/default.aspx

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »
Can you still change the team for each game?
I wonder if we'll play many different people in each game.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
Oh, awesome.  That means we can completely switch our team around if we want to.  Best possible outcome :)