Author Topic: Malcolm Speed & Carl Walsh join RFC Board replacing Lord & Cameron (H-Sun)  (Read 13972 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I'm trying to find the full article online but I saw this snippet from the Herald-Sun...

Speed a Tiger
Herald-Sun
Footy Shorts
October 28, 2011, pg 110

FORMER International Cricket Council chief executive Malcolm Speed has joined the Richmond board.

Speed was CEO of Cricket Australia from 1997-2001 before running the ICC for seven years.

Edit: changed title
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:43:16 AM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Malcolm Speed joins the Richmond Board (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:34:46 AM »
Interesting appointment if true. Someone from outside of footy and from another sport. I guess the first question is whether we are increasing the numbers on the Board or is Speed replacing an existing board member who will step down?

Let's hope the toothless shambles that is the ICC doesn't rub off onto us.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Malcolm Speed & Carl Walsh join RFC Board replacing Lord & Cameron (H-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 02:42:15 AM »
I've just found the full article and typed it in.... 

Malcolm Speed and Carl Walsh are in; Lord and Cameron have both stepped down.

Speed a Tiger
Herald-Sun
Footy Shorts
By Michael Warner and Eddie Morton
October 28, 2011, pg 110

FORMER International Cricket Council chief executive Malcolm Speed has joined the Richmond board.

Speed was CEO of Cricket Australia from 1997-2001 before running the ICC for seven years.

Carl Walsh, chief executive of international accounting firm WHK, has also been appointed.

"We are thrilled to be able to add these highly-credentialled people to the board of the Richmond Football Club,'' president Gary March said last night.

"Importantly, both Carl and Malcolm are passionate Richmond supporters, who share the same vision that we all do -- they want to develop a club that is recognised as a leader, both on and off the field.''

Board members Don Lord and Garry Cameron have stepped down.

"Both men should also be congratulated for recognising that boards need to be refreshed and reinvigorated,'' March said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
That answers my question. I think this now leaves March as the only board member from the pre-2004 full board election.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Speed has been around forever and this is a pretty big name to have frankly.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »
Interesting appointment if true. Someone from outside of footy and from another sport. I guess the first question is whether we are increasing the numbers on the Board or is Speed replacing an existing board member who will step down?

That was my first thought too MT, but i suppose we were way ahead of the ICC on that front  :P

His time at the ACB was part of a pretty successful era though.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

10 FLAGS

These are good appointments IMHO.  :thumbsup

gerkin greg

I assume they will announce Jackstar seperately to generate maximum media coverage  :huh

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
I assume they will announce Jackstar seperately to generate maximum media coverage  :huh

JackStar is Malcolm Speed ;) ;) ;D

gerkin greg

Get a clue idiot  ::)

;D

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: Malcolm Speed & Carl Walsh join RFC Board replacing Lord & Cameron (H-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
Get a clue idiot  ::)

;D

Just going off what he told me ;D ;D

Great appointments BTW :thumbsup The wheels are slowly turning both on and off the field 8)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »
Speed, Walsh join Tigers' Board
richmondfc.com.au
Fri 28 Oct, 2011

Richmond Football Club today announced that Carl Walsh, chief executive of international accounting firm WHK Melbourne and former International Cricket Council chief executive Malcolm Speed, will fill two newly-created, casual vacancies on its board of directors.

Long-serving Richmond board members Don Lord and Garry Cameron created the vacancies after announcing they were stepping down.

“On behalf of the board, management, staff and our members, I would like to sincerely thank Don and Garry for the valuable contribution they have made to the Richmond Football Club,” Richmond president Gary March said.

“Don and Garry have both served on the Club’s board for over 10 years. Garry spent eight of those years as treasurer and Don was the founder of the critically important Jack Dyer Foundation.

“They have been tireless servants of this football club and I know they will continue to support the Yellow and Black, as they have always done.

“Both men should also be congratulated for recognising that boards need to be refreshed and reinvigorated and they have both taken a most selfless decision.”

The board made these two appointments after several high-quality candidates had been interviewed by the Club’s newly-formed nominations committee.

The nominations committee comprises:

Emmett Dunne - Chairman
Assistant Commissioner (Ethical Standards) Victoria Police and 1980 Richmond premiership player.

Henriette Rothschild
General Manager Hay Group, Pacific.

Michael Green
Former practicing solicitor, Head of Green’s List and four-time Richmond premiership player.

Maurice O’Shannassy
Richmond vice-president and Managing Director, Black Rock Investment Management (Australia).

“We are thrilled to be able to add these highly-credentialled people to the board of the Richmond Football Club,” March said.

“Importantly, both Carl and Malcolm are passionate Richmond supporters, who share the same vision that we all do - they want to develop a Club that is recognised as a leader, both on and off the field.

“I welcome them to the Richmond Football Club and look forward to their contribution.”

Carl Walsh is a lawyer by education and a chartered accountant by profession, with over 18 years experience as a business leader both domestically (nine years in Australia) and internationally (Ireland, Luxembourg, Russia and US).
Carl has extensive knowledge of the financial services sector and previously held leadership roles in companies such as Deloitte, Microsoft and General Electric.

He was recently appointed to the Melbourne Community Foundation's Advisory Board and has played top level sport, having represented Country Clare in Gaelic Football.

Malcolm Speed has a background in law and is widely regarded as one of Australia’s leading sports’ administrators. In 1997, he was appointed chief executive of Cricket Australia. Then, in 2001, he was appointed chief executive of the International Cricket Council, a position he held up until 2008.

Malcolm now works as a consultant, company director and university lecturer. Among his current roles, he acts as executive director of the Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports (COMPPS) which consists of the Australian Football League, Australian Rugby Union, Cricket Australia, Football Federation Australia, Netball Australia, National Rugby League and Tennis Australia.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/125597/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »

That was my first thought too MT, but i suppose we were way ahead of the ICC on that front  :P

His time at the ACB was part of a pretty successful era though.
True al. He did oversee probably the most successful period for Australian Cricket. I'm presuming he's got the gig not only for his sports admin background but also because his time in Cricket would have established many connections with nationwide and international companies.

As for the Cricket-footy analogies:
ICC = AFL
India = Collingwood ...... seeks favourable treatment all the time and sooks if it doesn't get it.
Head of ICC = Andy D ...... caves into the demands of the team with largest supporter base all the time and only cares about the next TV deal.
 ;)

Offline Trent Martin

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
Wouldn't be surprised if Malcolm Speed eventually takes over the Presidency from Gary March...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
Good appointments  :clapping :clapping

However:

One question it raises (indirectly) and this comes back to this "Nominations Committee" situation is are we no longer gong to ever be in a position to elect board members?

I understand we've only ever get to vote when there are more candidates than positions and that's fair enough

They way the article reads is that the committee will interview (and have in this case) people who want to nominate and then they recommend who should get the gig - not sure this is the right way to go (if I am reading & interepting things correctly).

Bottom line is everyone member is entitled to nominate for the board and the members then in turn have the right to elect who they deem to be the best candidate.

Is this committee removing this right - I think it needs to be explained better by the Club. Certianly comes back to the questions Flags raised a few weeks back
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)