Author Topic: New sponsorship deals  (Read 3185 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: New sponsorship deals
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 07:17:23 PM »

Crazy Johns is a major sponsor of the Pies. Joel mentioned Motorola and Eddie had to jump in and add Crazy John's ::).

Isn't that a conflict of interest?  Isn't Eddie meant to be impartial as his role of host of the Footy Show?  :lol

The sooner Seven get the rights back the better.  Then we won't have to put up with Eddie's impartiality when calling the games on Friday night.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 08:50:10 PM »
Did he buy back the rights in 87 for the 88 season as Ch 2 covered the 87 season? Unfortuantely I can't forget us throwing away about 3 big 3/4 time leads in the first 5 rounds on the way to a wooden spoon with TJ ripping the last remains his hair out in the coach's box :'(.

Yeah I didn't explain that too well did I :help

Skase bought the rights back in late 1987 for the 1988 season onwards - I think he bought them initially for 3 years for a then record price and up until 2001 Seven held the rights.

To further clarify:

At the end of 1986 the AFL (then the VFL) in their wisdom :banghead sold the TV rights to a company called Broadcom (rather than 7 who were the only other bidder BTW). Broadcom  were to then "on sell them" to whoever they wanted - again Ch 7 was the only TV network interested and they were going to show the footy. But Seven's ownership changed in early 1987 and as I said Fairfax pulled the pin and IIRC the AFL then had to quickly find someone to broadcast the footy (first year for the Eagles & Bears remember) around the country. Only takers were the ABC who had then for the 1987 season.

I read with interest yestyerday in the HUN that one Mike Sheahan reported about the Ch 7 Sydney ownership thing in his editorial - perhaps he memory was jogged while reading OER :rollin

Thus ends WP's footy history leasson for this week :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 09:46:57 PM »
Thus ends WP's footy history leasson for this week :thumbsup

Ta  :cheers
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd