Author Topic: QANTAS worldwide shutdown  (Read 10594 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
QANTAS worldwide shutdown
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:11:39 PM »
Mr 71% increase $2 million payrise has shutdown the whole of QANTAS worldwide grounding its fleet  ::).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/qantas-strikes-to-hit-10000-passengers-today/story-fn7x8me2-1226180030416

Virgin must think it's Christmas two months early. Alan Joyce is the Sol Trujillo‎ of the aviation sector.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: QANTAS worldwide shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »

I'm waiting for Tony A to come out and say it all Julia's fault.

:rollin
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »

Ha more like Gillard will blame it on Abbott.
Don't forget Liberal Premiers did raise concerns over the Qantas strikes and she classed it as a stunt. I would say she now has egg on her face for ignoring it.

But seriously this would be putting alot of people out who have planned on travelling over next few days.
Looks like FWA will hold a hearing on it tonight so hopefully flights get back under way in the next 48 hours.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:18:34 PM »
[what a pathetic situation. Corporate ego at it's finest.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Looks like FWA will hold a hearing on it tonight so hopefully flights get back under way in the next 48 hours.
FWA hearing has been adjourned to 2pm today.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 07:47:32 AM »
On the face of the matter, I can't see how this works in the favor of the CEO. Plus, he's damaging the brand.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »
I think this is exactly what he wanted.

In the last few days he has been making noises about how this will cost jobs, now with the whole fleet grounded he has created an environment where he can implement this threat.

Ultimately his aim is to outsource Australian Jobs overseas so he'll be thinking this is the platform to get that ball rolling.

It could get ugly for all concerned
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
I am a former employee of Qantas and can tell you the Unions are the strongest and best in the corporate sector

My wife is employed by V Australia and their union reps go on to being employed by Virgin. Complete farce. I took her out of the union when i saw the CEO quit to then become employed by the airline.

Qantas are the most greedy blood sucking cows that you could ever find. The unions and staff should be applauded for the stance they have taken. I just hope it wasnt for a losing clause and they get something out of it because if that greedy little irish finnochio can get a 5 mil payout for destroying the brand, then every Qantas staff deserve their cut.

Mr 71% increase $2 million payrise has shutdown the whole of QANTAS worldwide grounding its fleet  ::).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/qantas-strikes-to-hit-10000-passengers-today/story-fn7x8me2-1226180030416

Virgin must think it's Christmas two months early. Alan Joyce is the Sol Trujillo‎ of the aviation sector.

MT the employees at Virgin dont think this is a good thing actually. Short term they might make a few quid but Qantas will not be going anywhere.

No Qantas no competition conditions will deteriorate for all employees at other airlines.

Edited: daniel you know the rules  :banghead
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:10:33 AM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »

Nah tiger101 - Tony did in fact blame Julia  ;D

Tony is nothing if not predictable  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »

Nah tiger101 - Tony did in fact blame Julia  ;D

Tony is nothing if not predictable  ;D

Well when premiers and tourism sector people raised the issue of this hurting them she did class it as nothing more then a stunt. So she should of stepped in earlier when outside industries was getting hurt by the strikes. anyways we could debate that issue all day.

The Qantas status quo will send them broke. Dick Smith even said this morning 80% want cheap flights now days.
So Qantas is stuck in a difficult situation make a Asian subdivision or stick with current mode and not be able to compete in prices with competitors.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 11:51:50 AM »
Perhaps they should consider outsourcing their management and board.

I'm sure that there would be competent indian execs willing to work for less than $1M per year.

Greedy stuffing pigs with their snouts in the trough, taking on multi million dollar pay rises while telling the workforce they must expect their positions to be outsourced to cheap scab labour in foreign countries

...and some wonder why the Occupy protests happen :huh
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

FNM

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
I think Qantas' motives here was to get people to bag the unions - i'm not sure sentiment is so anti-union this time.
You don't muck around with a perfect safety record that's something to be proud of.
And that's because of the great pilots, the maintenance and engineering crews that have made it the greatest airline ever.

So what do they do?  They outsource maintenance and now they want to outsource pilots.
When they do that, they're no longer an Australian airline in my opinion and I will never fly them again.
If they win, it'll have a tidal wave effect across other industries.
This is nasty  :help

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
I think Qantas' motives here was to get people to bag the unions - i'm not sure sentiment is so anti-union this time.
You don't muck around with a perfect safety record that's something to be proud of.
And that's because of the great pilots, the maintenance and engineering crews that have made it the greatest airline ever.

So what do they do?  They outsource maintenance and now they want to outsource pilots.
When they do that, they're no longer an Australian airline in my opinion and I will never fly them again.
If they win, it'll have a tidal wave effect across other industries.
This is nasty  :help

This was always going to come ahead. Unions was giving uncertainty with strikes and people wasn't booking flights.
Also if all your competitor's can offer cheaper prices then you need to be able to do the same to keep competitive but Qantas are hamstrung and can't.
Be interesting to see what happens in arbitration because from what unions and management are saying there positions are firm in the opposite view from each other.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
Perhaps they should consider outsourcing their management and board.

I'm sure that there would be competent indian execs willing to work for less than $1M per year.

Greedy stuffing pigs with their snouts in the trough, taking on multi million dollar pay rises while telling the workforce they must expect their positions to be outsourced to cheap scab labour in foreign countries

...and some wonder why the Occupy protests happen :huh

:thumbsup

good post
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

FNM

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »
In any wage and conditions claims, you go high and you negotiate downwards.  Qantas knows the game.
But with their intent to get cheap labour and cheap maintenance, there's no negotiation.
Just blame union thuggery  :banghead
Well, most people can see through them this time.