Author Topic: QANTAS worldwide shutdown  (Read 10565 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: QANTAS worldwide shutdown
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
There's been bad moves by both sides - that's why they need to sit down and reach a binding agreement on all parties.

Absolutely agree

Since this dispute started I've read/heard a number of people claim that last time qantas purchased new aircraft, they purchased the wrong ones.

This means that on the the global scene they are competing with airlines that fly aircraft that carry more people for a lower cost.

QANTAS have actually deferred the purchase of the Boeing Dreamliner (787 for memory) aircraft they had planned to bring into their fleet because of the problems with their international arm not being profitable. The other major purchase they made was the A380 airbuses, which is what Singapore Airlines fly more profitable than QANTAS and one of the reasons for that is because of what I entioned before. For the general maintenance of these planes SA use 2-3 engineers per plane, QANTAS are required (under the current EBA I believe) to use at least 10 or more - hence the extra costs  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
I wouldn't know the plane in question if mentioned, billy, so i went and had a look.

this is most probably what i heard, ( i think i only heard it on the radio and tv not read it)
Virgin Blue has really shown how it can punish Qantas for its absurd resistance to acquiring Boeing 777s.

...Qantas made two incredibly inept decisions concerning its fleet needs in recent years, in choosing to buy a large fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliners, and not buying Boeing 777s.

...Hobbled with an aging fleet that Qantas for a period neglected to even maintain in a clean and reliable manner, it p*ssed more than a billion dollars in excess fuel consumption into the wind by not having 777s in its fleet. Money it will never get back. The 777-300ER is the most fuel efficient 300-400 seat sized longer range airliner available until at least 2014 and perhaps well beyond.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2009/08/17/v-australia-reminds-qantas-how-wrong-it-was-about-the-777/

Interesting read.

Anyways, the fish rots from the head.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »
Here's another more recent article. again an interesting insight.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/qantas-aircraft-punt-comes-unstuck-20110124-1a2v6.html
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

10 FLAGS

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »
Joyce is a legend. He should be President of Richmond  ;D
FO

Not happy with my suggestion froars  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 07:46:32 PM »
I wouldn't know the plane in question if mentioned, billy, so i went and had a look.

this is most probably what i heard, ( i think i only heard it on the radio and tv not read it)
Virgin Blue has really shown how it can punish Qantas for its absurd resistance to acquiring Boeing 777s.

...Qantas made two incredibly inept decisions concerning its fleet needs in recent years, in choosing to buy a large fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliners, and not buying Boeing 777s.

...Hobbled with an aging fleet that Qantas for a period neglected to even maintain in a clean and reliable manner, it p*ssed more than a billion dollars in excess fuel consumption into the wind by not having 777s in its fleet. Money it will never get back. The 777-300ER is the most fuel efficient 300-400 seat sized longer range airliner available until at least 2014 and perhaps well beyond.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2009/08/17/v-australia-reminds-qantas-how-wrong-it-was-about-the-777/

Interesting read.

Anyways, the fish rots from the head.
Yep Qantas bought the wrong planes on top of having parts and bits of the fuselage falling off a number of planes mid-flight which damaged the reputation of Qantas' formerly impeccable safety record and the whole airline brand itself - yet the CEO still receives a 70% $2m payrise ::). Laughable! Where's the real accountability of the Qantas board and CEO Joyce for these poor decisions? The whole point of these large salaries use to be to reward the brightest and smartest who came up with new ideas, new products, new revenues streams, etc to grow the company and if you couldn't do that then you were sacked and your reputation in the corporate world was reduced to zip. Obviously at Qantas they tolerate and reward ineptness at the top.

On top of that there's the hypocrisy of asking for cuts from the workers while Joyce gets a 70% $2m payrise. Fair enough for a CEO to reduce company costs and request wage restraint but the CEO as leader of the company needs to lead by example and not preach 'do what I say but don't do what I do' to the workers. The latter only creates resentment throught the company and workforce. Qantas management stupidly has lost the PR battle and high ground with this ridiculous and unwarranted massive salary increase for Joyce. It just reinforces in the public's mind since the GFC the picture of corporate recklessness and greed devoid of reality.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »

FNM

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 12:39:13 AM »
No it's called calling the unions bluff  ;D  :rollin Dangerous move IMO but that's what it is
I think it's the dumbest move a company's ever made in our history.
Even if they get a termination and they're back to work (decision to be handed down at 1am) no-one will ever fly Qantas again.
Watching Sky News and the amount of people affected really letting loose on this decision is not only bad for the airline, but very bad for Australia and it's travel industry
People's holidays destroyed, people like a cancer surgeon who was due to operate tomorrow, etc etc
Dumb.  Really, really dumb!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 12:45:10 AM »
Rich get richer poor get poorer - Have to make sure you're in the good % of the trough.

FNM

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 01:00:05 AM »
Frustrating that it seems whatever Fair Work Australia decides that it's not binding on the parties.
Like if it's suspended Qantas won't be returning.
They should be able to order them to return or fine them for each day they don't run
Couldn't ACCC get in and say, well, you sold these airline tickets you have a duty to fulfil your obligations
Or something like that
Fine 'em $10 million a day they don't operate I reckon.

FNM

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 02:15:16 AM »
The action has been terminated - should be back in business soon
Unless there's an appeal of course

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 02:56:18 AM »
The action has been terminated - should be back in business soon
Unless there's an appeal of course
There will now be a 21-day period of negotiation between the airline and the unions and a further 12 days if progress has been made by the two parties.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/stranded-passengers-stung-by-flight-costs-in-hope-of-reaching-destination/story-e6frf7jo-1226180911020

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 07:08:23 AM »
Don't forget Liberal Premiers did raise concerns over the Qantas strikes and she classed it as a stunt. I would say she now has egg on her face for ignoring it.

Heard soemthing interesting last night while watching 7.30 on the ABC

The Lib premiers had the right (like anyone effected by any industrial action does) to go to Fair Work Australia and ask for Fair Work Aust to intervene

If the Vic & NSW premiers were SO concerned with what was happening regarding QANTAS why didn't do something about it?

Surely no party would have played politics over this fiasco would they  ::) ::)

Nah would never happen would it  ;D

I think it's the dumbest move a company's ever made in our history.
Even if they get a termination and they're back to work (decision to be handed down at 1am) no-one will ever fly Qantas again.
Watching Sky News and the amount of people affected really letting loose on this decision is not only bad for the airline, but very bad for Australia and it's travel industry
People's holidays destroyed, people like a cancer surgeon who was due to operate tomorrow, etc etc
Dumb.  Really, really dumb!

Time will tell how mad the damage is but certainly short term the damage is massive

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

FNM

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:13 AM »

Time will tell how mad the damage is but certainly short term the damage is massive
A worldwide rolling ad campaign with Captain John Travolta I'm predicting lol

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 10:59:20 AM »
QANTAS pilots get paid up to 600K p/a (average 300K p/a) for 14 hours a week work. FACT (More than what Alan Joyce earns per number of hours worked)
QANTAS staff across the board are already on higher wages than any of their competitors. FACT
QANTAS staff already receive 14% super contributions. Higher than the Australian average. FACT
Virgin Australia has two ticketed engineers per aircraft. QANTAS, 14. FACT
QANTAS is currently the only airline that does all their aircraft servicing in Australia. FACT

The open skies policy has made airline travel much more affordable for us by allowing increased competition. Yay for us!! But the competition pay much lower wages in order to be so competitive (not even close to Australian wage conditions). Due to the discounting of its competitors, Now only 2 in 10 Australians are flying QANTAS. So how do we want it people? We can't have our cake and eat it too. QANTAS has to restructure if it is going to survive in such a competitive market. You can all whinge and complain, but the fact is, we as travelers are directly responsible for the position that QANTAS is in. If we all paid a little more and flew QANTAS, they'd be able to sustain the proposed wage increases, they could continue to service all their aircraft here and provide jobs for Australians for years to come.

Boo hoo QANTAS employees and your unions.  :'( If you keep this crap up we will lose an Australian icon, we will lose a major employer of people in this country and you will lose your Job. But hey, the unions will still have their jobs after they have decimated QANTAS and sent them 100% overseas.  :clapping

Props to Alan Joyce for sticking up for his company. If it were my company, I'd do the same.

FNM

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »
Boo hoo QANTAS employees and your unions.  :'( If you keep this crap up we will lose an Australian icon, we will lose a major employer of people in this country and you will lose your Job. But hey, the unions will still have their jobs after they have decimated QANTAS and sent them 100% overseas.  :clapping

I wouldn't book a flight with them until I know I can be guaranteed I'd get to where I want to go to.
I'm glad they've fixed this and people can travel again (and my sister can get home) but time will tell how successful the actions by Joyce have been.
IMO pilots and engineers deserve every cent they can get.  They're responsible for a lot of lives. We need the best, not the cheapest.