Author Topic: Sheedy wants GWS to play in China  (Read 1585 times)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Sheedy wants GWS to play in China
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
KEVIN Sheedy wants the GWS Giants to play the opening game of the 2013 AFL season in China.

Not content with opening next year's AFL season in a stand-alone weekend clash against Sydney at ANZ Stadium on March 24, the Giants coach is determined to push to play the AFL's first overseas match for premiership points the following year.

Sheedy has already spoken with Giants chairman Tony Shepherd about the prospect, saying the AFL's newest club needed to think big in its infancy.

"The most important thing for this club is to build a big vision for this club from the very start," Sheedy said this week as the Giants launched into their first pre-season training.

"In more than 150 years of playing the game, no one has put their hands up to play a game for premiership points overseas, and I don't want anyone to beat us to it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kevin-sheedy-wants-gws-to-play-afl-game-in-china-for-premiership-points-in-2013/story-e6frf9jf-1226193505438

Sheedy focus on getting members and fans to your games in GWS before planning games in China

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Sheedy wants GWS to play in China
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »
The first side to have a Chinese player that is half decent would make a mint in sponsorhip.

Look at Yao Ming in the NBA.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

gerkin greg

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:55:08 PM »
sheedy is a grandma

isn't cameron ling chinese?

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
AFL in China
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »
THE AFL plans to play a premiership game in China by as soon as 2016 with Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy saying the Giants are interested in going.

Melbourne would also be a logical choice, having forged close ties to China, having played an exhibition game against the Brisbane Lions in Shanghai in 2010 and exploring the possibility of taking pre-season training to the mountainous region of Kunming recently.

The AFL has also taken a number of significant steps in gaining a foothold in China, ensuring one game a week is beamed live into Shanghai and funding an AFL oval in Tianjin.

"If you've got that type of energy behind it, there's no reason why we can't aim for that type of outcome in the next three to five years," AFL international development manager Tony Woods told the Herald Sun.

"Ultimately, you've got to have two clubs who are really keen and driving it. It has to sit within our fixturing here and in the end it has to be a joint decision and endorsed by the AFL Commission.

"Absolutely, playing a game there for premiership points in the future is a consideration."

In November, Sheedy declared he wanted to take the Giants to China for a home and away game.

"A lot of clubs wouldn't be interested, but we are saying that we want to do it," Sheedy said.

"I have spoken to our chairman about it as it is in our best interests to be first.

"I haven't spoken to anyone at the AFL yet, but they know it is something that I want to do.

"We could even [open the 2013 season] with a game, and I think it would work really well."

The Demons are also keen to play in China with chief executive Cameron Schwab declaring that Melbourne is a "pioneering" club.

"At some point there will be a venue, a time, a reason and there will be enough momentum behind it that there will be clubs prepared to host games in other countries," Schwab told the Herald Sun.

"It makes a lot of sense for that to be in China, given the number of levels we relate to China on."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127046/default.aspx

I know you gotta keep an eye on the future but AFL should for the time being focus on GWS. After that I believe Tasmania or a 3rd W.A team would be the go. If AFL wants to have international success I think NZ would be the best target.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: AFL in China
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
THE AFL plans to play a premiership game in China by as soon as 2016 with Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy saying the Giants are interested in going.

Melbourne would also be a logical choice, having forged close ties to China, having played an exhibition game against the Brisbane Lions in Shanghai in 2010 and exploring the possibility of taking pre-season training to the mountainous region of Kunming recently.

The AFL has also taken a number of significant steps in gaining a foothold in China, ensuring one game a week is beamed live into Shanghai and funding an AFL oval in Tianjin.

"If you've got that type of energy behind it, there's no reason why we can't aim for that type of outcome in the next three to five years," AFL international development manager Tony Woods told the Herald Sun.

"Ultimately, you've got to have two clubs who are really keen and driving it. It has to sit within our fixturing here and in the end it has to be a joint decision and endorsed by the AFL Commission.

"Absolutely, playing a game there for premiership points in the future is a consideration."

In November, Sheedy declared he wanted to take the Giants to China for a home and away game.

"A lot of clubs wouldn't be interested, but we are saying that we want to do it," Sheedy said.

"I have spoken to our chairman about it as it is in our best interests to be first.

"I haven't spoken to anyone at the AFL yet, but they know it is something that I want to do.

"We could even [open the 2013 season] with a game, and I think it would work really well."

The Demons are also keen to play in China with chief executive Cameron Schwab declaring that Melbourne is a "pioneering" club.

"At some point there will be a venue, a time, a reason and there will be enough momentum behind it that there will be clubs prepared to host games in other countries," Schwab told the Herald Sun.

"It makes a lot of sense for that to be in China, given the number of levels we relate to China on."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127046/default.aspx

I know you gotta keep an eye on the future but AFL should for the time being focus on GWS. After that I believe Tasmania or a 3rd W.A team would be the go. If AFL wants to have international success I think NZ would be the best target.
The AFL is obviously after $$$ sponsorship from the massive Chinese companies that are growing and expanding in and outside of China. They may also be wishfully thinking that even if a small fraction of the Chinese population thinks Aussie Rules is the greatest then you could still get say tens of thousands people watching AFL.

The next AFL franchise should be in Tasmania but that may be 20 years from now as Tassie doesn't have the corporate nor the concentrated population (state is split in two) to have a financially sustainable club now. Perth if it continues to grow on the back of the mining boom could probably sustain a 3rd club at Subi given the waiting list at the Eagles and with Freo up to 40k members now but with the new 60-70k stadium these waiting list members will be able to be accomodated between the two existing clubs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
Speaking of Tassie they should never host Test Cricket again. No-one turns up. Even when it could be Punter's last game. Bunch of povs.
Not convinced footy wouldn't be the same.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
Speaking of Tassie they should never host Test Cricket again. No-one turns up. Even when it could be Punter's last game. Bunch of povs.

They're not known for their loyalty.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »

probably because cricket is a poo sport

20/20 is good though ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:07:04 PM by one-eyed »

Ox

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 11:01:14 PM »
Surely that would be just home games ???

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
I wonder how our talks are going with Essendon about having an exhibition game in India.

Offline Grunt

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
When I saw the title "Sheedy wants GWS to play in China" I thought he was moving off shore ... for good.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
I wouldn't want the tigers playing over there, they would be killing our players and grinding there knobs up for aphrodisiacs.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
I wouldn't want the tigers playing over there, they would be killing our players and grinding there knobs up for aphrodisiacs.

:lol
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »
 :lol