Author Topic: Dylan Grimes and David Astbury determined to prove a point (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5781 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Young Richmond defenders Dylan Grimes and David Astbury determined to prove a point

by: Matt Windley
    November 14, 2011

TWO of Richmond's most promising defenders have shot down suggestions the team's backline is its achilles heel.

Dylan Grimes and David Astbury, both 20, also insist youth is not an excuse at Punt Rd any more as the Tigers attempt to return to the top eight for the first time since 2001.

Coach Damien Hardwick appeared to support his young list last week, denying he would chase Zac Dawson, 25, who is now looking for his third club after 14 games at Hawthorn (2005-08) and 63 at St Kilda (2009-11).

Hardwick's team conceded 2396 points last season, the third most in the AFL, but had Grimes (hamstring), Astbury (knee) and Kelvin Moore (hip) watching for most of the season.

"There are always going to be people that suggest things like that when we're letting a lot of points through," Astbury said.

"But I suppose you have to look at (losing) blokes like Chris Newman (to a knee injury late in the year) and Kelvin Moore, who didn't play any footy last year, Dylan and myself who were out for most the season, plus little injuries like Jake Batchelor's shoulder and Luke McGuane's groin.

"You're always going to be vulnerable when you've got that many guys from one line out of the team.

"It's not something that we buy in to at all. We know that we've definitely got some depth in the backline and we form a team within a team back there."

Grimes agreed, saying the defenders who missed most of last season were among Richmond's best performed.

"We had blokes like Brett Deledio, Alex Rance, Bachar Houli and Chris Newman all poll very high in our best-and-fairest, so that just goes to show that our backs are actually playing some good footy," Grimes said.

"Internally, I think we've got a lot of confidence in the back six that we have and also the three or four that are fighting for a spot."

Richmond's list is one of the youngest in the competition, but Grimes said youth was not an excuse for poor performance.

"You never really accept that you're a young group and that it's OK (to lose) because we're developing," he said.

"I don't think we've ever used that as an excuse.

"I've got a lot of faith in the list that we have and I think that we're a good finals side, so I'm really looking forward to 2012 so that we can prove ourselves."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/young-richmond-defenders-dylan-grimes-and-david-astbury-determined-to-prove-a-point/story-e6frf9jf-1226193955282

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Dylan Grimes and David Astbury determined to prove a point (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:51:23 AM »
I hope these two end up being quality defenders. both have some handy tools

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:37:26 AM »
It's all fine and good to say that our back line not our achillies heel..... Until we have injuries because we have no depth to cover the taller players.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:54:07 AM »
It's all fine and good to say that our back line not our achillies heel..... Until we have injuries because we have no depth to cover the taller players.

Riewoldt and Vickery go down and how is our forward line going?

Cotchin and Martin go down how is our midfield going?

Rucks we know have been the achilles heal.

Think your comment applies for EVERY part of the side.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »
Both have shown terrific signs of being potential A graders, now is the time to DELIVER :cheers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »

But there are absolutely no excuses for not making finals in 2012

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:42:17 AM »
It's not our backline that is the problem, it's the overall team defence.

St. Kilda made Grand Finals with defenders like Blake, Dawson and Raph Clarke!!!!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
It's not our backline that is the problem, it's the overall team defence.

St. Kilda made Grand Finals with defenders like Blake, Dawson and Raph Clarke!!!!

spot on  :clapping

enter Ross Smith

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »

Not if you have the depth, there is not......but you keep accepting mediocracy if you want...as you do... :rollin :rollin :rollin

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »

Not if you have the depth, there is not......but you keep accepting mediocracy if you want...as you do... :rollin :rollin :rollin

You raised the issue of depth and questioned our lack of it but still think no matter what we have to play finals

Can't have it both ways WAT
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
tbh im not sure why rance would be left out of discussions I see this guy as the cornerstone of our next premiership tilt and amongst the BEST U21 defenders in the game ...grimes and astbury still have quite a way to get to rances level imho :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 07:31:13 PM »
tbh im not sure why rance would be left out of discussions I see this guy as the cornerstone of our next premiership tilt and amongst the BEST U21 defenders in the game ...grimes and astbury still have quite a way to get to rances level imho :shh

Agree with you about them still having a while to go to get to ARs level. I think Grimes & Astbury will be FB & CHB with Rance as 3rd tall in years to come though

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »

You raised the issue of depth and questioned our lack of it but still think no matter what we have to play finals

Can't have it both ways WAT

Yep thats right, we have to play finals no matter what, still need the depth though. Need the depth so we can DEVELOP and IMPROVE..... :whistle

"Rucks:

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »
With Batch down there too, and potentially Morris, our defence is developing a hardened, dour kind of edge.
I like it.  :thumbsup

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
I love the way these blokes talk as though they are competition guns instead of spotty schoolboys that still haven't made the grade.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...