Author Topic: Richmond Tigers dynamo Dustin Martin ready to lift his team  (Read 1821 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Richmond Tigers dynamo Dustin Martin ready to lift his team
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »
TWELVE months ago, Dustin Martin was embarrassed after his coach delivered a pre-season rocket for returning unfit.
"Yeah, it was embarrassing and I thought I let the team down by not coming back as I was expected," Martin said this week.

This year, he finished equal with Brett Deledio in the infamous Tan run, about sixth overall, and says he's never been fitter.

"It's a lot better running around the Tan getting a half-decent time than running last," he said.

He ran with Deledio, one of the fittest at the club. "I didn't see him last year when we ran the Tan the first time ... and this time I ran with him. I've told him I'm going to try to run with him most sessions."

The difference between this pre-season to last was simple: He worked.

"I just ticked all the boxes. I didn't do anything extra, maybe a couple more boxing sessions, but I just did what the club gave me as a program."

Last year he played 89-90kg, he is currently 88kg and wants to be at 87kg.

Noticeably, the 20-year-old has lost puppy fat, replacing it with muscle, meaning the powerfully built midfielder looks leaner, more compact and ripped.

At the Tigers, there are weight loss groups, weight gain groups and a maintenance group. Martin is in the latter group.

"Last year I was in the weight-loss group," he said.

Martin, still just 20, is now fit, happy, single and is house-hunting.

"I've been looking to buy, I've been to a few inspections and hopefully I will buy sometime soon," he said.

It means, after almost two years living at the home of Tigers president Gary March and wife Bev, Martin is ready to take the next step in his life.

It's the same with his footy.

March said Martin had matured and realised the requirements of being an elite athlete.

"It's showed in the way he's turned up to pre-season this year," March said.

"The story last year was that he was fat ... he wasn't fat, he just didn't do any running in the off-season because he was knackered after the season.

"But he's worked hard.

"His diet is 100 per cent better than what it was 18 months ago, too."

Martin is close to March and his wife and two boys, Baily, 15, and Matthew, 12.

"I suppose he's like another son now, and we will miss him," March said.

Asked to describe him, March said: "He's really respectful, driven, really focused on his goals.

"Just a terrific young guy."

Martin fired back: "They feel like family now."

Martin has played 43 of 44 games since his debut in Round 1, 2010.

He kicked 11 goals in his first year and 33 in his second, relishing the role of midfielder/resting forward. He also averaged 22 touches per game in 2011.

As a result, he finished third in the best and fairest behind Trent Cotchin and Deledio.

The accolades were poured on him throughout the season.

At different times, he was compared to Darren Millane, Leigh Matthews, Mark Ricciuto and 1970s powerhouse Sam Kekovich.

He can't remember the Millane article. In fact, he's not aware of exactly who is Millane, the raging bull from Collingwood who died in 1991.

Of Matthews, he smiled: "Yeah, heard of him."

The praise makes him uncomfortable.

"I just listen to the coaches," he said.

"Obviously, the boys had a bit of a muck around with it, a bit of a joke, but I don't like it, I don't want to be known as a big head.

"I've got miles ahead of me just to be half (as good) a player as Leigh Matthews was."

Although the club will build around players such as Martin, Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Deledio and Tyrone Vickery, it's all about building a complete list.

"Around here, we're not really about individuals, we're about all of us playing our roles. Twenty-two players who play their roles, do what is expected, is a lot better than having two or three standout players."

Still, it's hard to ignore Martin.

Another article last year revealed the devastating Martin was only behind Hawthorn's Lance Franklin in score involvements. Martin read it - and let it go through to the keeper.

"It had something to do with scoring or something," he said.

"It doesn't bother me. Again, I don't want to get a big head. I don't worry about the individualism, it's all about the team, it's all about the Richmond Football Club."

Martin has two plans for the 2012 season: Help improve the Tigers and help protect teammate Cotchin from taggers.

"That's what I'll be doing, especially in the midfield, help him out, give him the ball, smash into the taggers," he said.

"If we weren't to improve it would be very disappointing."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-dynamo-dustin-martin-keen-and-fighting-fit-for-2012/story-e6frf9jf-1226197194588
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond Tigers dynamo Dustin Martin ready to lift his team
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:55:36 AM »

Gee hope that doesnt mean you wnat to get into the 8 Dusty, there will be some unhappy people to hear you say that. Our team icluding you is too young and small bodied and you don't have the football smarts to take us there in 2012.....do you....... :whistle :whistle :whistle ::) ::)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:05:35 AM »
Like Kekovich?  :huh

Dusty has come back having learnt the hard lesson of last preseason  :thumbsup. Hopefully the better fitness base and leaner musclely body will improve his defensive game (chasing) as well. 

I like the talk of smashing taggers to help Cotch. Constantly blocking and shepharding for your teammate to create space around stoppages is something we have regularly failed to do compared to other sides.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

TigerTimeII

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:38:33 AM »
keka was a very athletic powerhouse brute

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:02:34 AM »
keka was a very athletic powerhouse brute

He certainly aint now  :lol too many lamp chops  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 08:49:09 AM »
Love these type of articles!!!
Get's me excited!!

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:25:21 AM »
Leaner, meaner, more ripped, smashing taggers...

[ :bow censored :-*]

dwaino

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
Lots of great feedback about Dusty lately, can't wait to see how fruitful it all is next year. Without trying to sound too one-eyed or guilty of over rating our list, I reckon we're flying under the radar coming into 2012. Getting a few chuckles from the blokes at work (I work with 3 Bombers... Told them to get their speedos on and ready for the slippery dip) but outsiders wouldn't be as aware of our young blokes, who is coming back from injury and who is stepping up. This is why we need to make the eight, even if it's a first round bow out. The boys' confidence has been going up the past couple years and a finals taste would be the biggest firecracker up the bum to get them going all in. No excuses.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »

Gee hope that doesnt mean you wnat to get into the 8 Dusty, there will be some unhappy people to hear you say that. Our team icluding you is too young and small bodied and you don't have the football smarts to take us there in 2012.....do you....... :whistle :whistle :whistle ::) ::)

lol.....and you think I take things out of context  :lol :lol :wallywink

gerkin greg

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
The boys' confidence has been going up the past couple years and a finals taste would be the biggest firecracker up the bum to get them going all in. No excuses.

;D

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 11:49:36 PM »
I think they are getting a bit carried away with all this.

Wouldn't be too hard to raise the bar after his previous off-season, although nice to hear he is maturing.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...