Author Topic: Cat's Ottens poach "offensive": Wallace  (Read 5693 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger fans ready for Ottens
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 04:53:59 PM »
It'll be interesting what Wallace does when we play the bombers as Zantuck said he wanted to leave.

I don't think Tezza views the Zantuck situation in the same light as Otten$.

He said it again last night that he had no problems with Zantcuk leaving and again paid credit to him (Zantuck) for having the guts to say straight out he wanted out unlike Brad Jelly oops I meant Brad Ottens ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cat's Ottens poach "offensive": Wallace
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 04:57:27 PM »
The Fighting Tiger arrived today and in Wallace's article (titled "Bring it on!") he mentions about Geelong targetting one of our players because we were down. So obviously this was a pre-meditated attack.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 06:59:32 PM »
I understand that Terry is talking a lot of schit and trying to sell the game, but seriously, I wish we would just get over this whole Ottens thing.

FFS, we should be considering it a boon to lose a non-entity like Ottens and gain two first round draft picks. Fancy complaining about how he departed!

A lot of supporters are really worked up that it's the first game and it's a chance to get Ottens back for betraying us, but personally I hold no animosity towards him and him leaving was just about the nicest thing he could do for us.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 11:10:22 PM »
Agree John. The only thing I can see us getting out of having a shot at Otto is to play with his mind and to get extra bums on seats at the game.

If Otto kicks the winning goal say we'll look like dills. It's not like we've haven't made big duds look like champions before  :P.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 10:04:17 AM »
I understand that Terry is talking a lot of schit and trying to sell the game, but seriously, I wish we would just get over this whole Ottens thing.

FFS, we should be considering it a boon to lose a non-entity like Ottens and gain two first round draft picks. Fancy complaining about how he departed!

A lot of supporters are really worked up that it's the first game and it's a chance to get Ottens back for betraying us, but personally I hold no animosity towards him and him leaving was just about the nicest thing he could do for us.

Agree John.  But I think Wallace is only milking the situation to get more people to the game.  I don't think he actually gives a stuff that Ottens left.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 04:34:24 PM »

Agree John.  But I think Wallace is only milking the situation to get more people to the game.  I don't think he actually gives a stuff that Ottens left.

I think you're dead right Harry. I don't think Wallace would swap Simmonds for Ottens if he had the choice.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace gets Ot and sticky - Rex
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 03:13:05 AM »
Wallace gets Ot and sticky
25 March 2005   
Herald Sun
Rex Hunt

TERRY Wallace threw the Tiger among the Cats on Tuesday in a big, big way.

To criticise an opponent in the way he did to Ot and Sticky (Brad Ottens) is rare, at times dangerous and bordering on downright rude.

I'll give Plough the benefit of the doubt and put it down to a desperate attempt to fire up my old side in the season opener.

And you know what? I reckon his ploy will work with the Tigers to cause the upset of the opening round.

Ottens will be desperate to impress first up but his problem is the Richmond players will know his game backwards.

Then again the big bloke will appreciate getting delivery from beautiful foot passers such as Not Rex (Josh Hunt), Charlie Chapman, Yaaaaaablettttt and Riccardi.

I still rate Geelong and like the way the Cats play for each other but they might just be slow starters this season.

Leo King is underdone, Ian (Steve) Johnson is a star who is missing and Ben Kingsley is a week to week proposition.

The loss of Ben Graham will be more significant than many realise.

I wish him the best with his career in the US and if he needs any help, he should note Rexy could give it a fair old hoof in the old days.

The only problem was I had no idea where it was going.

Tigers by 3

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12649411%255E32423,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo talks about Ottens
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2005, 03:40:56 AM »
Bragging rights at stake
By Matthew Richardson
The Age
March 27, 2005

It wouldn't surprise me if, at some stage today, Richmond's Ray Hall finds himself having to stand his good mate, Geelong's Brad Ottens, at the MCG.

It can be a slightly tricky situation lining up against one of your good friends, although to be honest, it's probably something you give more thought to during the week, rather than in the heat of the game, when everything becomes instinctive and one opposition jumper is the same as any other.

Ray obviously gave it a few moments thought last week: even before any of our match-ups were outlined by coach Terry Wallace, he had asked me what it's like to take on a mate in an AFL match.

There were a few such instances that I could draw upon. I've had to wander down to the goal square and be greeted by my brother-in-law Jade Rawlings. And my best mate, Ben Harrison, a guy I was in grade prep with in Devonport, lined up on me in a match at Telstra Dome a couple of years ago.

Admittedly, it was only for two minutes just before half-time, but that was enough time for a one-on-one contest. I did the right thing and played in front, he lurked behind, and of course a wobbly old punt kick floated over my head, he nudged me under the ball and took the mark. To this day, I still haven't heard the end of it.

I guess the point I'm making is that there are bragging rights at stake, and footballers in these kind of situations might find it even harder to take if they don't win every ball that comes their way.

But if Ray Hall was feeling slightly unsure what to expect today, then you can bet that Brad Ottens was feeling 100 times more uncertain. One thing he can be certain of is that the Richmond fans at the MCG will give him plenty. And them some.

The fact is that Brad did choose to leave Punt Road at the end of last season. In fact, the word on the grapevine - and in our locker room - towards the end of last season was that he was looking to move on. As it turned out, he severed ties while we were all on our end-of-season break. When I heard that he had left, I can't say that it surprised me. Because Brad is such a quiet person, you never really could get a handle on what he was thinking about his future.

Some of us, myself included, haven't seen him or spoken to him since he went down to Geelong. That's not to say we've wiped him. I rate him as a fantastic guy. Very humble, genuine. There wouldn't be a bloke at the club who didn't get along with him. Perhaps we might have had a bit more contact with Brad, but as it turns out, probably two of his better friends among the players - Aaron Fiora and Marc Dragicevic - have also left.

The issue is not so much whether he's a decent bloke or not, it's more so that it is disappointing to lose a quality player to another team. Especially when you've had an ordinary year and you need your best players to stick together and lift you out of the depths.

Brad obviously decided he needed a change of club to get the best out of himself, something he stated a fair few times. It wasn't just a change of scenery because we were going to get that anyway with Terry Wallace and his new broom. But Brad is on the record as saying he didn't think that was going to change the place too much.

I know we've yet to even play a game, but unquestionably the place has changed a fair bit since "Otto" left. A third of the list has changed, the game plan is completely different, players have regained lost confidence, there is renewed optimism, and even little things, such as the changing rooms being revamped, have helped.

We are enjoying the challenge ahead of us, and can't wait to get out onto the 'G this afternoon. I wonder whether Brad will have felt the same during the past week.

I doubt whether he'll be comfortable in the spotlight today. That's not really his go.

No doubt, there'll be the usual banter directed his way out on the ground; the pointed odd comment if he lines up for a goal. I'm tipping Brad will be rapt to get this game out of the way in round one, and put the whole issue behind him.

It's worth remembering the other side of the equation in all of this. One guy that Brad might come face to face with today, at a centre bounce, will be a man lining up in his first match for the Tigers.

Troy Simmonds is a similar sort of player to Brad, and is a more than handy replacement. He's fitted in at Punt Road like he's been around the place for years.

He's going to be an important player at his new club, as I'm sure Brad will be at Geelong.

Let's hope they both have strong seasons at their respective teams, but that only one of them gets a kick today.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/03/26/1111692682264.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richo talks about Ottens
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2005, 04:19:47 AM »
And my best mate, Ben Harrison, a guy I was in grade prep with in Devonport, lined up on me in a match at Telstra Dome a couple of years ago. Admittedly, it was only for two minutes just before half-time, but that was enough time for a one-on-one contest. I did the right thing and played in front, he lurked behind, and of course a wobbly old punt kick floated over my head, he nudged me under the ball and took the mark. To this day, I still haven't heard the end of it.

Nice quiet little backhander at our midfielders down the years there Richo ;).

One thing he can be certain of is that the Richmond fans at the MCG will give him plenty. And them some.

Prefer not to hear too many boos - means he's not getting the footy.  Still if he hits the post or kicks the footy OOF then give him heaps - "What a waste of money"  :thumbsup.

but as it turns out, probably two of his better friends among the players - Aaron Fiora and Marc Dragicevic - have also left.

There was always that rumour doing the rounds of Ottens only staying the time when Spud took him down to Moorabbin Oval (when the Saints were spooners) because of Dragga.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
And that's why we as a club need to keep our big gobs shut!
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2005, 08:38:42 PM »
 >:(

Until we can walk the walk don't talk the talk!

Another Geelong forward dud is made to look like a star  ::). Geez I could have kicked 3 goals for Geelong the way the ball was constantly and easily coming down into their forward line  :(.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 11:17:08 PM »
lmfaoooooo, fancy making a numb nuts like Ottens look competant.

froars

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 11:26:54 PM »

Spot on MT.  Wallace's tirade was good publicity for the game, but it was straight out of Spud's guide to coaching IMO - very, very dumb!
Hindsight is good - hope he remembers this episode before he thinks he's Kevin Sheedy again. 
If we were Geelong and the wooden spooners of the previous year came out like we did mouthing off, you'd just wanna rub their noses in it.  And Geelong gave us what we deserved - a good spanking. 
Ottens didn't have a great day IMO - didn't matter, his team mates made sure they did it for him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »

Spot on MT.  Wallace's tirade was good publicity for the game, but it was straight out of Spud's guide to coaching IMO - very, very dumb!
Hindsight is good - hope he remembers this episode before he thinks he's Kevin Sheedy again. 
If we were Geelong and the wooden spooners of the previous year came out like we did mouthing off, you'd just wanna rub their noses in it.  And Geelong gave us what we deserved - a good spanking. 
Ottens didn't have a great day IMO - didn't matter, his team mates made sure they did it for him.

Exactly Moi. If we kept our mouths shut the press would have said Otto was serviceable at best with the 3 goals flattering his performace as he wasn't a key in Geelong winning easily. Now it's Otto gets the last laugh etc...  ::). Miller tried a similar thing with the Pies and them not respecting us. Time to zip the lip until we start doing to other sides what the Cats did to us today.

There was no need to do it before the first meeting anyhow. If we really wanted to have a shot at Otto over him leaving for the $$$ then we had to be patient and wait for the right moment. Who knows in say 5 years time where us, Otto and the Cats will be. The Cats could fall short of winning a flag a few times and we could come out and pinch one. That's when you dish it out a la Buckley and Brisbane.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2005, 12:41:28 AM »
A smack across the chops and a brawl on the filed would have been sufficient. No need to talk trash, especially when anyone who had his head straight knew we were going down.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2005, 05:17:13 AM »
F@rken Ottens

What a W@nker and arent the media beating it up even more(probalby because Terry highlighted it earlier this week), anyone would have thought he had 30 possessions and kicked the cats winning goal. To make it worse was when he kicked his first all the bandwagon cats players mobbing him.

I wish we mobbed him too, shown a bit of fight for a change and belted crap out of the useless prat.

IMO he is still a big dud what peeves me off more is the lump is getting a free ride at Geelong and if anyone deserves to spend a lifetime down the bottom its Mr Selfish Ottens  >:( >:(

There I've said it, that my dummy spit, i feel better now ...........  ;D
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.