Author Topic: Cat's Ottens poach "offensive": Wallace  (Read 5690 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Cat's Ottens poach "offensive": Wallace
« on: March 22, 2005, 05:40:57 PM »
Cat's Ottens poach "offensive": Wallace
March 22, 2005 - 5:19PM
The Age- Breaking News

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has labelled Geelong's poaching of Brad Ottens as "offensive" and a "slap in the face", raising the stakes ahead of this week's AFL season opener.

Ottens will line up in Geelong hoops on Sunday against his old team, with Wallace saying he did not need to remind his troops of the events of the 2004 trading period.

The new Tigers coach accused Ottens of switching clubs purely for more money, and that the Cats wooed the ruckman by saying Richmond was a sinking ship.

"When we were down and out, sides were quite happy to pick over our carcass," Wallace said.

"Our club was down and Geelong were very, very happy to jump in as quickly as they could and suggested to him he'd be better off playing in what might be a premiership side rather than wooden spooners.

"Our guys should take that as offensive, in terms of where we stood in comparison to them."

Wallace said there was no enmity from the players toward Ottens, allaying the need for any physical retribution on Sunday.

"Most of the guys are friends with Brad, so I don't see it from that aspect," Wallace said.

"They see it as more of a slap in the face for them as a footy team."

Ottens had claimed he changed clubs for the proverbial 'fresh start', but Wallace saw a more mercenary motive.

"In the conversations that I had with him, and that was only two, he suggested to me that he wanted to stay at the Richmond Football Club and it was only when money came into play that his mind changed," Wallace said.

"We think we've balanced ourselves up pretty well, but it's not lost on the boys that the club that decided to target him is our opposition first up."

The Tigers lost their last 14 games of 2004 and will set a new club record of 15 consecutive defeats should they go down to the Cats at the MCG on Sunday.

There will be at least four new faces in the team to face the Cats, with number one draft pick Brett Deledio to be joined by former Hawks defender Mark Graham, big-money recruit Troy Simmonds from Fremantle and ex-St Kilda ruckman Trent Knobel.

Boom youngster Richard Tambling would make five, but there were strong doubts about his availability due to a toe injury that had restricted him to just half a game over the past two weekends, compromising his fitness.

"The old-fashioned term is turf toe," Wallace said.

"He stubbed his toe in one of the games a couple of weeks ago, and it's just bruising to the joint.

"They can give you a fair bit of pain and they can linger a little bit, and that's what we've found with this.

"We're hoping now that it's a fortnight on that he'll be alright to play.

"Three weeks ago he was an absolute guarantee to play, now we've just got to make a decision on whether its the right thing to do by the boy to play him.

"He won't play if there's any doubt about injury but if he flies around the track over the next two training sessions, then we've got a decision to make on whether his lead-up to the season is right for him or not."

The Tigers will start as 9/4 outsiders on Sunday, but Wallace felt a new game plan and a focus on rebuilding confidence raised the chances of an upset.

"Reality says we lost our last 14 games in a row, reality says the side we're playing first up won 10 of their last 14," Wallace said.

"Where we finished last year, there is a massive difference between the Geelong Football Club and the Richmond Football Club.

"We're hoping by the time we run on the ground on Sunday that the gap's been closed. How far that gap's been closed, who knows?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Cats-Ottens-poach-offensive-Wallace/2005/03/22/1111254015591.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Cat's Ottens poach "offensive": Wallace
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 05:45:43 PM »
With all this negative talk about Ottens over the summer I just hope he doesn't do a Ben Graham on us and kick 6, I'd hate to be the one who is his opponent if that happens.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 05:55:04 PM »
As much as it's an attempt to put more pressure on Otto after a poor pre-season, I just wish we would shut up in the build up to a game and let the scoreboard do the talking. Usually we get thumped when we try to raise the stakes midweek  :(. Only Aker can "trash" talk before a match and then back it up it on the weekend when it matters.

I know we are pretty confident at the moment after the pre-season but those 3 wins were in practice matches. The real stuff starts now and those games mean zip. Let's just keep our gobs shut until we have something on-field to back up the talk.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 06:05:03 PM »
Talk it up Terry,if thats what it takes to get our former downe syndrome list firing.
He worked it with the dogs so lets just see.

I really wanna see him give someone a baking @ 3/4 time (if deserved) and more than likely this will be the case
as it would be nteresting to see the individual's and the teams' re-action after being tranquilised with spud juice for 5 years.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 03:59:02 AM »
'Hypocritical' Wallace tickles Cats
By Stephen Rielly
The Age
March 23, 2005

Geelong was struck dumb with disbelief yesterday by what it privately described as a hypocritical and contrived attack upon the club by Terry Wallace. His Cats counterpart, Mark Thompson, is likely to make a public response to the Richmond coach's claim at training this afternoon.

With more than a hint of Sheedy-esque pre-game promotion, Wallace described Geelong's recruitment of Brad Ottens at the end of last season as "offensive" and a "slap in the face" to the Tigers.

Richmond and Geelong meet on Sunday at the MCG to open their seasons and Ottens will line up in Geelong hoops against his old team.

The Cats were declining to publicly comment on the accusations last night, but described the allegations as amusing, given that Wallace left the Western Bulldogs without a coach while still under contract in 2002 and has taken control of the club that poached Nathan Brown from the Dogs at the end of 2003, a year in which the Whitten Oval outfit won the wooden spoon.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/03/22/1111254025466.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger fans ready for Ottens
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 04:11:30 AM »
Tiger fans ready for Ottens
23 March 2005   
Herald Sun
Scott Gullan

BRAD Ottens describes it as the kick in the backside he needed.

With just four days to his debut for Geelong against his former club, Ottens has revealed his controversial move to Skilled Stadium was motivated by a need to extract himself from a career-threatening slump.

"The way I thought was this might give me a kick in the arse," Ottens said.

"It had been a frustrating last couple of years, both personally and from a team perspective as well.

"I was going through the motions and wasn't getting as much out of my footy as I would have liked and that's for a lot of reasons."

Ottens stops short of blaming anyone in particular for his state of mind during his last few seasons at Punt Rd, adding that injuries and the Tigers' slide down the ladder were part of the equation.

"I had that one good year and then went cold, which was a bit frustrating," he said in reference to his All-Australian season of 2001.

"I've had a couple of injuries since then, but that's not making any excuses.

"I was just frustrated with the way I was playing.

"I was still playing reasonable footy, but I wasn't playing to the standard that I had set and then it just dropped away.

"You can make all the excuses you want, there were a lot of factors and it's not just not winning or injuries."

The argument many Richmond fans push when it comes to Ottens is why did the 202cm ruckman need to leave for a change of direction when that's exactly what new coach Terry Wallace was bringing to Punt Rd.

"The place won't really change that much," Ottens said. "I don't say that in a bad way because I don't have any hard feelings.

"I just know I made my decision for the right reasons. People might say I have looked after myself but moving was the best thing for me to do.

"Something needed to change because I didn't want to go through another season (like that).

"I didn't want to spend five years playing a few good games, going through the motions and then getting to the end of my career and saying, `I wish I had done something else'.

"I'm comfortable with it and I expect people to respect my decision."

There have already been murmurings down at Geelong about the boom recruit's pre-season form but coach Mark Thompson is calling for patience.

"It is just ridiculous this expectation," Thompson said. "It just craps the hell out of me to be honest.

"You shouldn't put it all on one person.

"We never got him here to kick 70 goals and that won't happen. It will never happen.

"We got him here to play in the forward line, take a good defender, play some time in the ruck with Steven King and kick us one goal a game, one and a half goals a game, with 20 to 30 goals being a very good effort for the season.

"(He) makes us dangerous because there's not too many other clubs with two very good ruckmen in the team. It is a real weapon for us."

Thompson said Ottens, who has had All-Australian full-back Matthew Scarlett working him over on the training track, had improved steadily in the pre-season, which was highlighted by a four-goal last quarter in a practice match against Adelaide.

"He has definitely got better, week by week," he said.

"It is hard for big guys to get into the game pretty early with new players.

"I'm not going to judge him on practice games or the first game or his second game.

"He will be judged over a three-year period and I know he will improve as a player."

Ottens can expect a fiery reception from the Tiger faithful at the MCG on Sunday, with anger about how the club had invested seven years in him only for him to leave when he should be at his peak at 25 and with 129 games to his name.

Adding fuel to the fire is the suggestion he went for the money after the Tigers wanted to snip $150,000 a year off his new contract.

With the Cats crying out for a tall forward, and having the cash to spend, the pair became a perfect fit.

The Tigers did the trade in exchange for national draft picks No. 12 (which Geelong received from Melbourne in exchange for Brent Moloney) and No. 16.

Ottens admits to being surprised when the AFL draw came out and had him facing his old club first-up.

"I was very surprised but those things seem to happen," he said.

"At least I'm going to have a bit of an idea on who I will be playing on. And I don't have to wait for long to get it out of the way. It should be interesting."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12629673%255E19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger fans ready for Ottens
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 05:34:23 AM »
The argument many Richmond fans push when it comes to Ottens is why did the 202cm ruckman need to leave for a change of direction when that's exactly what new coach Terry Wallace was bringing to Punt Rd.

Spot on.

Why say you were staying Brad when you had no intention of doing so as you didn't want another year like last year? And how can claim the place won't really change that much when you're not around to see that it has!  ::).

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 08:38:42 AM »
One of the best bakes I've heard in a longtime.

In a word...

PRICELESS

Always the salesmen - Tezza's probably got another 5000 "bums on seats" now.

Our home game more $$$$

I'll take it ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:48:45 AM »

Always the salesmen - Tezza's probably got another 5000 "bums on seats" now.

Our home game more $$$$

I'll take it ;D

exaclty , i mentioned thsi elsewhere, tw has now attratced at least 5-10k more to turn up! very sheedyesque!

Posted on: Yesterday at 06:05:03 PMPosted by: fOx-)( 
Insert Quote
Talk it up Terry,if thats what it takes to get our former downe syndrome list firing.
He worked it with the dogs 

tw has to fire the boys up, this was a reminder to them about ottens and his character, and i cant wait to se as u sat , tw , spray someone with fire! esp a senior member who has been wrapped up in the spud cotton wool

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 09:04:22 AM »
March 23 2005 Brad says aloty but I've highlighted my favourites:

"I was going through the motions and wasn't getting as much out of my footy as I would have liked and that's for a lot of reasons."

Ottens stops short of blaming anyone in particular for his state of mind during his last few seasons at Punt Rd, adding that injuries and the Tigers' slide down the ladder were part of the equation.

"You can make all the excuses you want, there were a lot of factors and it's not just not winning or injuries."

"The place won't really change that much," Ottens said. "I don't say that in a bad way because I don't have any hard feelings.

"I just know I made my decision for the right reasons. People might say I have looked after myself but moving was the best thing for me to do.

"Something needed to change because I didn't want to go through another season (like that).

"I'm comfortable with it and I expect people to respect my decision."http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12629673%255E19742,00.html

Lets go back to 28th August 2004 when Brad said:

RICHMOND ruckman Brad Ottens removed himself from trade speculation yesterday, declaring his intention to re-sign with the Tigers.

He said he had met new coach Terry Wallace and was keen to end his career as a one-club player.

"Hopefully, we can get it all sorted out as soon as possible," Ottens said.

"I would be rapt to stay in Melbourne and hopefully we can get it all organised as soon as possible and get on with training and thinking about 2005.

"It's my main priority. Staying my whole career at one club is pretty important to me and I'd love to stay a Tiger."

Ottens said he and Wallace had already had a face-to-face discussion.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10600017%255E19771,00.html

And there in lies why I don't respect Brad's decision and why Tezza was right with what he said. Brad Ottens said he wanted to stay as soon as the got the contract offer we get "I need a change".

Give me a break!

Players change Clubs all the time and I accept that. What I've always had a problem with is players one week saying "I wanna stay" and then the next "I wanna go"

Bring on Sunday - it's gonna be a fun ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 11:29:09 AM »
Let the Football Gods take over.

Any chance we can sign up Hoppuwati ?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 03:25:45 PM »

lol :gobdrop  :cheers  :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 04:22:46 PM »
"It's my main priority. Staying my whole career at one club is pretty important to me and I'd love to stay a Tiger."

Ottens said he and Wallace had already had a face-to-face discussion.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10600017%255E19771,00.html

This was before Otto had a face-to-face discussion with his manager and bank account  :sleep

It'll be interesting what Wallace does when we play the bombers as Zantuck said he wanted to leave.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 04:31:12 PM »

Not for at least 17 weeks after that HIT!  :gobdrop.

Probably the most infamous footballer of any code to have so many brain implosions since Robbie Muir of the Saints.   

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 04:45:24 PM »
Geelong was struck dumb with disbelief yesterday by what it privately described as a hypocritical and contrived attack upon the club by Terry Wallace. His Cats counterpart, Mark Thompson, is likely to make a public response to the Richmond coach's claim at training this afternoon.

If they’re going to have a go at TW, be surprised if they can say anything that TW hasn’t already heard the past couple of years?  Water off a duck’s back really.

"The place won't really change that much," Ottens said.

The season hasn’t started yet, but so far he’s got that one right  :-\  ???

Will be interesting to see if he can lift his level of intensity to that needed by a top team.

Might turn out to be a rude shock to Ottens to know that he’s the only one that can actually change his mindset and that no one else can do it for him.

"I didn't want to spend five years playing a few good games, going through the motions and then getting to the end of my career and saying, `I wish I had done something else'.

"I'm comfortable with it and I expect people to respect my decision."

Players can go to another Club for whatever reason they like.  As WP said, just don’t say one thing one day, something else another and expect everyone to be understanding about it and not think there are suspicious reasons behind the change of heart.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.