Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 297664 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #1740 on: August 04, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »
 :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #1741 on: February 16, 2019, 11:12:47 PM »
What position on the ground should Brandon Ellis play?

Last season was an odd one for the 25-year-old, who was dropped in round six after 111 consecutive games, and again before Richmond's qualifying final against Hawthorn. Capable of playing off half-back or on the wing, the Tigers' defensive rebound depth in Jayden Short, Bachar Houli and Oleg Markov (who has been one of the team's best this summer) means Ellis could be squeezed out.

Verdict: Lines up on the wing.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-16/coach-conundrums-we-solve-your-position-puzzlers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brandon Ellis to quit Tigers after the Grand Final to join Gold Coast [update]
« Reply #1742 on: March 01, 2019, 02:50:19 AM »
Tiger to put contract talks on hold

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
28 Feb 2019

Richmond premiership star Brandon Ellis will put off contract talks until at least the bye round after strong interest from rivals in last year’s trade period.

Ellis was twice dropped last season — including for the finals series — but only turns 26 this August having played 153 games.

In a thin free agency market this year he could draw multiple suitors looking for run-and-carry players.

He was dropped to the VFL in Rounds 6-9 last year to refine his contested ball and aerial skills but believed he had won back his spot for the finals.

Instead he was dropped again when Kane Lambert returned from injury for the qualifying final.
Brandon Ellis will put contract talks with Richmond on hold. Picture: Michael Klein

Ellis missed only one game in Richmond’s premiership season as a defender but has been training as a midfielder this pre-season.

In a best-case scenario he will return to his best form and prove to Richmond he is worth a significant long-term contract.

But in one of the thinnest free agency markets since its inception, his contract talks will likely drift until the end of the season.

Richmond chose not to act on any trade requests from multiple clubs in October, believing he was part of their best side.

But the Tigers are one of a number of clubs with strong salary cap pressures given their addition of Tom Lynch over the off-season.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-premiership-player-brandon-ellis-to-put-contract-talks-on-hold/news-story/790611806aaf5cf57713757a9c6239f6
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:20:36 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Brandon Ellis to put contract talks on hold (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1743 on: March 01, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »
That is OK with me

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1744 on: March 01, 2019, 12:08:32 PM »
He will go to North next year.  Big fish!!

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1745 on: March 01, 2019, 12:10:07 PM »
He'll stay or end up at North. Smart move by his manager.

Do have to laugh at folks like Claw who said there was no interest in the BEllis in trade week when there were 3 clubs who wanted him....:shh
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:04:00 PM by WilliamPowell »
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1746 on: March 01, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
 :santa  :bow  :cheers  :thumbsup :jump :dancing :highclap :highfive :thatsgold :newyear :allears :jump :phew :wavetowel :dancingpickle :spudnikbackflip
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1747 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:02 PM »
You would think Ellis is off at the end of the season if he's putting off contract talks. We wouldn't be offering more given our TPP even if he had a turnaround dominant year.

Interesting to see what compo we would get in return if he does leave.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1748 on: March 02, 2019, 06:25:04 PM »
Doubt it. Fact is if he gets back to his best the offer will be better in July/August than it would look right now.

Still hilarious to me how people reckon he's considered surplus to requirements by the club yet we'd sign him up now if we could. Guy can play.

It's on him to have a good year, cement a spot and get a solid offer from RFC + the huge line up of clubs that want him.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1749 on: March 02, 2019, 07:50:16 PM »
Should get some decent offers after he wins the Liston in a canter.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1750 on: March 02, 2019, 07:58:24 PM »
Perfect player to help a certain someone's favourite snow loving footy club rise to the top....:shh :shh

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1751 on: March 02, 2019, 08:27:37 PM »
Wonder if putting talks on hold is because the offer isn't big enough, $$ Wise.

We are going to have cap pressure. So while Players may think they are are worth more than what they are being offered they need to understand the offer is the offer. Putting off talks can backfire on many fronts
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1752 on: March 02, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »

We are going to have cap pressure. So while Players may think they are are worth more than what they are being offered they need to understand the offer is the offer. Putting off talks can backfire on many fronts

Agree and when you're a dispensable player it backfires even more. We'd probably pick up a 3rd round comp pick for Bellis which we can use to trade into the 2020 draft to build up points for Rioli Jnr. More than happy with that scenario

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1753 on: March 03, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »
If i was him id be taking the packet of crisps  and box of crispy cremes the club offered who in their right mind would go anywhere near this nuff nuff.

Same old same old from shatama pantsama today.Hope he enjoys his time in the ressies this yr because thats where he will be.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1754 on: March 04, 2019, 02:04:00 AM »

I am no great Ellis fan, but in fairness to him I don't think this is a money issue. He loves the club. I think it is more about trying to work out if Ellis is going to be a part of the club moving forward.

I think you will find this is a mutual decision between the player and the club. The club clearly do not see him as being in our defensive plans, trying him in a midfield role. I can't see him in the that role myself on anything more than an occasional basis, and we drafted a lot of midfielders so he knows spots in the team for midfielders are going to be at a premium.

So I think that both parties are going to adopt a wait and see approach to work out what is best.

But for Ellis, I think he is between the proverbial rock and a hard place. If he blitzes from here he will need to take below market place to resign with us. And if he doesn't, he most likely will be deemed surplus to requirements.