Author Topic: Todd Elton  (Read 75189 times)

tony_montana

Re: Todd Elton
« Reply #525 on: May 15, 2017, 11:59:07 AM »
I disagree with that theory bc i think we are considerably better with nank in the ruck 80-90% of the time, resting forward for 5-10 mins a qtr. You simply cannot play soldo as a fwd  bc hes not mobile enough and doesnt have the tank to play majority of the time in the ruck.

We're better off rotating Chol, Elton, Moore and Griff when/if he recovers as the CHF/relief ruck

Ruanaidh

« Reply #526 on: May 15, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »
I disagree with that theory bc i think we are considerably better with nank in the ruck 80-90% of the time, resting forward for 5-10 mins a qtr. You simply cannot play soldo as a fwd  bc hes not mobile enough and doesnt have the tank to play majority of the time in the ruck.

We're better off rotating Chol, Elton, Moore and Griff when/if he recovers as the CHF/relief ruck
Moore is shortish for the role but has mongrel, a substantial body, pace and a decent leap.  We could herald in the return of the Ruck Rover :thumbsup

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #527 on: May 15, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »

I'm not advocating to play Soldo forward, as it stands now Nank plays 75-80% game time in the ruck, he rests on the bench not forward.  Elton plays CHF most of the game and goes into the ruck when Nank goes to the bench.  During this time we have played Grigg and Caddy as the CHF in a small forward set up.

I'm saying play Nank mainly at CHF and reversing the role

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #528 on: May 15, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
Elton McBean.
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

« Reply #529 on: May 15, 2017, 01:31:34 PM »

I'm not advocating to play Soldo forward, as it stands now Nank plays 75-80% game time in the ruck, he rests on the bench not forward.  Elton plays CHF most of the game and goes into the ruck when Nank goes to the bench.  During this time we have played Grigg and Caddy as the CHF in a small forward set up.

And if you read my post again, further to not being capable of playing fwd, I am also saying he is not capable of playing majority ruck bc he doesn't have the tank.

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #530 on: May 15, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »

And if you read my post again, further to not being capable of playing fwd, I am also saying he is not capable of playing majority ruck bc he doesn't have the tank.

He did the week before

tony_montana

« Reply #531 on: May 15, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »

He did the week before

against Ling Jong and a part timer and barely touched the ball after qtr time. What do you think will happen against a real ruckman and there are plenty of good ones in the afl now. dejavu couldve sworn i mentioned this several posts back  ::) We are going around in circles here. He is simply no where near ready

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #532 on: May 15, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
Moore/Chol/Soldo- whoever we went with can't possibly be any worse than Elton and, unlike Crocket Man, at least has a hope of improving....and that's the bottom line...

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #533 on: May 15, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »

He did the week before

against Ling Jong and a part timer and barely touched the ball after qtr time. What do you think will happen against a real ruckman and there are plenty of good ones in the afl now. dejavu couldve sworn i mentioned this several posts back  ::) We are going around in circles here. He is simply no where near ready

We got smashed in the ruck yesterday, so whats the difference if you take your line?  Even play Maric, i dont care

You're the only one going around in circles!!! The point is to have a viable option at CHF, one that can provide a contest to enable us to take advantage of our i50's, you have to rob Peter to pay Paul

tony_montana

« Reply #534 on: May 15, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
Agree to disagree then. For me I think we'd be losing in the payoff - I think nank would give us considerably more in the ruck vs what he'd give as a CHF simply bc hes a better ruckman than CHF

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #535 on: May 15, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »
FWIW im with Montana at this stage - Nank is proven in the ruck and unproven at chf. Even when he was at Sydney his weakness was when he went into a fwd resting position. Ineffective and kicking for goal was very erratic.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »
Elton has had a fair crack at it. Next!
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #537 on: May 15, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »
Soldo is a raw young RUCKMAN.
We need to look at what KPPS we have do people ever learn.

FFS Third tall play Moore get him on his bike play JR and play one of Chol, Elton, Griffiths as a ruck/fwd we need to play a ruck/fwd to give Nankervis a chop out but imo we really need to play a third tall as well.

My preference for the fwd half would go like this and it really has not changed that much from the preseason.

Chol - Moore - Butler
Rioli - Riewoldt - Lloyd/Lennon
Then you have rotations Martin, Caddy, Edwards and Nankervis. The talls  outside of JR are young and raw but they are mobile quick and athletic,and i dont think they can be any worse than what Griffiths and Elton have offered up. Whats more important is they are fwds first and foremost.There is no reason why Rioli Lloyd and Butler cannot spend some time thru the middle.

Elton has had a fair crack at it. Next!
Yep we cannot keep on rewarding that level of performance.Hes had a crack and failed time for others.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #538 on: May 15, 2017, 10:38:46 PM »
Hard to defend him this week.
In previous weeks I'd like the way he had presented and wasn't scared to stand under the footy, but on Sunday he just looked uninterested. A bit like me, that game was atrocious to watch.

Time for a look at Moore and maybe even Chol. We need to set up our forwardline differently because the last 3 weeks have been poo.

Moore  Jack  Butler
George  Chol  Rioli

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #539 on: May 16, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »
Yeah we must go with 3 talls because that has worked for us every other time we've tried. Let's not forget our game plan has looked the best it has in years but stuff it, we need to make sure we have 3 talls instead of actually playing players who are up to it