Author Topic: RFC Hall of Famers - St Francis becomes an immortal  (Read 2368 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
RFC Hall of Famers - St Francis becomes an immortal
« on: March 23, 2005, 10:49:26 PM »
From the footy show -

Hall of Fame inductees:

Hugh James - 1920's premiership player
Martin Bolger - Administrator and a premiership player & B&F in the 1930's.
Merv Keane

Immortal:

Francis Bourke

---------------------------

Just completes the legend that is St Francis  :bow

Congrats to the other HOF inductees. One OER poster  ;) will be over the moon about Merv Keane getting inducted.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 11:18:50 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: RFC Hall of Famers - St Francis becomes an immortal
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 11:17:40 PM »
Bourke now a Tiger 'Immortal'
11:03:36 PM Wed 23 March, 2005
Samantha Lane
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond has added three new inductees to its Hall of Fame, and at a dinner on Wednesday night bestowed the title of 'immortal' on five-time premiership player, former club captain and coach Francis Bourke.

Martin Bolger, Hugh James and Mervyn Keane were inducted into the Tigers' Hall of Fame, while Bourke joined legends Jack Dyer, Kevin Bartlett and Tommy Hafey in becoming an immortal.

A member of Richmond's team of the century, Bourke played 300 matches over a success-filled 15-year-career spanning 1967-81.

He played in the Tigers' 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974 and 1980 premiership sides and skippered the club in 1976 and 1977. Bourke coached the club to the 1982 grand final and was also head coach in 1983.

Known for his great courage as a player, Bourke was told as a teenager that he should abandon his football aspirations because he had a heart murmur. But Bourke became a champion wingman in a glorious era for the club, before later playing as a backman.

He won his only best and fairest award in 1970 and returned to the club in the early nineties as chairman of selectors.

Bolger played 185 games between 1930-39 and helped form the so-called 'Three Musketeers' backline that also included Maurie Sheahan and Kevin O'Neill.

The dashing backpocket played in the 1932 and 1934 premiership sides, won the best and fairest award after the 1936 season and later served on the club's committee for more than 30 years.

Long-serving ruckman James was represented at Wednesday night's Hall of Fame dinner by nine family members, including his 89-year-old daughter. Regarded as one of the game's great gentlemen, he played 188 matches over a 14-year career, which was interrupted by his service in World War I.

It was James' second stint at the club that yielded the most success. He was among the best players in Richmond's 1920 and 1921 premiership sides. Incredibly, James scarcely attended football training in his later years at the club due to his job as a bricklayer and builder.

But James won best and fairest awards for his efforts in the 1921 and 1923 seasons.

A member of the 1973, 1974 and 1980 premiership sides, Keane had a 238-game, 13-year career. Incredibly, it wasn't until his 11th season that the underrated defender/on-baller - and eventual member of the Tigers' team of the century - polled a Brownlow vote.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=191578

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:13:36 AM »
Well Done Francis, great player.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 06:34:44 PM »
Well and truly deserved for a man that epitomised the Tiger Spirit when I was growing up.

I still remember that day at Arden street, bloody streaming from a gash above his eye and he kicked a goal that probably won us the game.

A very humble champion and bloke

Congrats St Francis Bourke :bow :bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 07:12:42 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bourke ideal role model for Tigers - Sheahan
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 03:10:40 AM »
Bourke ideal role model for Tigers
25 March 2005   
Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

HISTORY is lost on the young. Understandably so, too. They are far more interested in what they are doing rather than who did what before them.

More so at Richmond, where 26 of the 40 listed players weren't born when the Tigers won their most recent premiership (1980).

Yet, if the past is ever going to influence the future at Punt Rd, the club's season launch on Thursday night at the Regent Theatre will be the catalyst.

The 2004 playing group witnessed the induction of three predecessors to the club's Hall of Fame and Francis Bourke to the status of "Immortal".

Two of those honoured were there in person: Bourke and Mervyn Keane, and there could not be two better examples of the foundations for a great football team.

Two model citizens who always put the club first, who went to war for Richmond and wore their wounds proudly and defiantly.

More than 500 games between them, yet they caused not five seconds of concern for their coaches.

As good as Bourke was, as decorated as he is, he was genuinely humbled to be elevated to the company of Jack Dyer, Kevin Bartlett and Tom Hafey.

It was revealing that when he trotted out the old line that there were so many others who were equally deserving of the honour, if not more so, he named a host of unsung heroes – long-serving staff rather than players.

Bourke said he'd received much more from football and Richmond than he'd given. With Bourke, you know it's sincere. He later presented jumpers to all listed players, including sons of former teammates Alan Richardson, Geoff Raines and Michael Roach.

He was in his element. It was old Richmond back together.

Brian Taylor and Rex Hunt handled the formalities on stage, and even Kevin Sheedy dropped in.

Sheeds was thrilled to hear of Bourke's elevation to Immortal status.

Almost as thrilled as Hafey.

When Hunt announced Bourke as the new Immortal, he had Hafey standing beside him. The four-time premiership coach responded like a hyperactive seal, clapping furiously for more than a minute.

He might be 73, yet he wore the smile of a boy watching his hero.

Earlier, Hunt and his close friend and Richmond premiership teammate Graeme Bond addressed the playing group at Punt Rd about their football club.

The Hunt theme, reiterated that night, was of the lifelong memories and friendships born of successful premiership campaigns.

Richmond did it well. It was an upmarket function that has to be good for morale. For self-esteem.

In a message for all other clubs, the highlights of the night unfolded earlier rather than later, the show over by 11 o'clock.

There was just the one blemish. Steve Price, a South Australian living in Sydney, was given the honour of launching Richmond's year.

He soon had officials and guests cringing during a high-handed, pompous and often crass attack on other clubs and their players and officials, and the media.

It seems the Price isn't always right.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,%255E20123,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 04:05:16 AM »
Top pic Ox  :thumbsup

Here's one WP has of Francis  8)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 04:08:20 AM by mightytiges »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Bourke ideal role model for Tigers - Sheahan
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:01:49 PM »
Bourke ideal role model for Tigers
25 March 2005   
Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

Bourke said he'd received much more from football and Richmond than he'd given. With Bourke, you know it's sincere. He later presented jumpers to all listed players, including sons of former teammates Alan Richardson, Geoff Raines and Michael Roach.

He was in his element. It was old Richmond back together.

After umming and arghhing about whether to go or not - I went and I must say I am glad that I did :thumbsup

Richmond did it well. It was an upmarket function that has to be good for morale. For self-esteem.

In a message for all other clubs, the highlights of the night unfolded earlier rather than later, the show over by 11 o'clock.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,%255E20123,00.html

Spot on Mike - Richmond did this function very well indeed :thumbsup

And I just want to say well done to Mike Sheahan (yep that's right well done Mike :o) on this article - it's captured the night and what it was about brilliantly
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 03:54:42 PM »

The Lads

Ox

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 04:26:37 PM »
Top pic Ox  :thumbsup

Here's one WP has of Francis  8)

Interesting to note the line in which the backline is running in,3 deep and wide and by the looks of bit,easily.

Who do u rekkon the second guy is ?

My bet is Malthouse or Strachan.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 08:09:07 PM »
Interesting to note the line in which the backline is running in,3 deep and wide and by the looks of bit,easily.

Funny how the best sides now still play like that. Running in waves out of defence in support of one another.

Who do u rekkon the second guy is ?

My bet is Malthouse or Strachan.

I think from memory Strachan was one who wore the yellow boots so you could be right Ox. The Tetley logo means the pic is from 1980 or 81 so it fits in.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 08:16:23 PM »

The Lads

I think my Dad still has one of those daggy jumpers hidden away somewhere  :rollin.